The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2007, 03:53 PM   #1
captain54

I got lucky

just getting back into reloading so even though I had loads worked up, I wanted to test my loads anyhow. I have two different brands of bullets so I also wanted to compare the two. I loaded 25 each (45 acp w/ 200gr LSWC) of the different brands with CCI proimers and 5.2gr W231. Went to the range and tested them out. They felt pretty hot for a lightweight target load which is what I was loading for. None the less, they were accurate and did not cause any problems.

Today, I got the chance to load up more. When I started loading, I double checked all of my settings. While I was weighing the powder, I noticed that the pan of the scale was just touching the reloading bench when the scale was showing that I was at 5.2 grains of powder. I decided to move the scale to insure that the pan could swing freely. Well, once I did that, I saw that I was not throwing 5.2 grains out of my powder measure. I was actually throwing 6.1. Needless to say, I was a little shocked. While a .45 can handle 6.1 and 200 grain bullet, I just wondered what would have happend if I was .9 grains off with a high pressure load like the .40 or if I was .9 gr off when I was already at the high end of the loading range. Anyhow, just proves once again that you must pay attention to everything everytime we reload.

Be safe.
Old June 2, 2007, 08:36 PM   #2
CrustyFN

Wow, glad you found that before something bad happened.
Rusty