The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 15, 2004, 09:09 PM   #1
zx11rider

Do you store ammunition in your gun safe? (pls move to general discussion?)

yes, clearly a bad idea. But what about a loaded weapon? I just bought a safe for firearms & valuable documents. I was considering storing ammo, but a fire would mean disaster. Does that mean I shouldn't store a loaded weapon in my safe as well? What are you folks out there doing?
Old December 15, 2004, 10:28 PM   #2
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
The only reason I can see you keeping a loaded gun is for home defense. Most safes I've seen (of the gun+documents type, at least) take some time to open... So first off, fire or no fire, let's not be storing loaded weapons in there.

Now, as for ammunition storage, when I'm done converting my closet into a saferoom, I'll be storing my ammo in a locked box secured to the wall, but it'll be in the same 'safe' as the guns. Right now, keep my ammo hidden away in a desk drawer. My recomendation would be to find a hidden away drawer of your own, or some other place away from the guns.
Old December 15, 2004, 10:42 PM   #3
bill k

Most gun safes have a fire rating, why not store them there. If you have a fire, I'd rather have my ammo in a safe then in the bottom of my night stand or hall closet.
Old December 15, 2004, 11:43 PM   #4
Cowled_Wolfe

Location: Washington... Land of the apple, and the apple maggot!
Bill K...

Stupid oversight on my part: I've got some really hefty drawers on my desk, so I don't think anything could 'get out'. Not everyone has such a sturdy set of drawers... Also, you do bring up a good point about the closet. I should have mentioned what the box is made out of... 1/2" steel with a few dozen tiny holes to relieve pressure if a shell goes off.

My main thought was the classic rule... Never store your guns and ammo in the same place.
Old December 16, 2004, 12:26 AM   #5
zx11rider

It's a Libery gun safe. It has the standard dial/key combo, so I can choose to have it more quickly opened via key while I'm at home, then lock it via spinning the dial if I am leaving, which is why I would consider leaving loaded guns in the safe.

Yes, the safe has a firing rating (1200 deg for 30 minutes). The safe rep said paper burns at 450 or so, and the fire rating means it won't get reach that temp inside for at least 30 minutes. But it would still get very hot inside, enough to melt plastics... I don't know the temp at which ammo would ignite.

I've never heard of the classic rule. I guess that's why I finally signed up for some training next month!