The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 24, 2004, 09:44 PM   #1
greg c

Stevens 311

Finally picked up a good one at a local gunshow after about a year of looking. Blueing is 99%, stock has only a few small dents, barrels are absolutely pristine- a big thanks to TFL as my research tool for this purchase!

Now, can anyone tell me how to take her down? I removed the screw from the forearm, but the forearm is reluctant to separate from the barrels, and I won't force it until someone tells me that it is OK.

Also, is there a way to date my gun? It has a D388XXX serial number.

Going to shoot her tomorrow, wish me luck!

-G
Old July 25, 2004, 12:18 AM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

I have one in .410 and a cousin has one in 16g. Put the screw back in. If it's build like the rest of the 311's I've seen, the screw holds the spring forearm retaining mechanism and cocking lever in place and shouldn't have anything to do with disassembly, then pull the foreward end of the forearm away from the barrels. The mechanism on both of ours is pretty stiff. There should be a place to put your fingers under the forearm at the foreward end, between the barrels and forearm to pull on.

SASS 47015
Old July 25, 2004, 01:48 AM   #3
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

Greg:

I have sent, by separate email, the info you requested. There was no indication that they were actually sent. Please advise if you have, have not, received them

HJN
Old August 7, 2004, 11:00 PM   #4
Hawgleg44

I never got used to shooting a SxS, but my father loves them. I got an excellent condition 311 12ga in a trade one time with odd chokes. It has mod/mod. I took it to the skeet range one time right after I got it to try it out and someone there wanted to buy it on the spot when he heard what it had for chokes. Anyone know anything about how common that combination is? I know it's not "valuable" at all, but just wondering.

BTW, since my father liked it so much, I gave it to him. Not like he never gave me a gun before!

It is important to keep in mind the ISP reports show that firearm related homicides decreased 56% from 1994 to 1998.

From 1998 to 2002, firearm related homicides increased 48%. During the same time, firearm related accidental deaths have increased 200%.

Will work for ammo.
Old August 8, 2004, 11:41 AM   #5
greg c

Harley,
Thanks for the info- tried to shoot you a return email- hope it got through.

BTW, this thing shoots like a dream. I'm getting way more center hits on skeet (POWDERED!) than with my Red Label, even though both guns are nearly identical physically. Ok, the red label actually has 28" bbls while the Stevens has 26".