The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 26, 2012, 10:16 PM   #1
fxh

Ruger SR40 Accuracy

Hi, I have owned by SR40 for 18 months and have fired about 4500 rounds through it. As a re-loader I tried various powders and bullets to find what best worked for my particular pistol.
I settled for the following recipe: Bullet: 165gr Zero HPJ, Powder: Powder Pistol 6.4gr, Primer CCI small pistol, OAL 1.125”. With this load I was consistently shooting a 3” group at 15yds. But in the last month or so by groups have deteriorated to 6” and I just cannot figure out what is making the difference.
I am regularly cleaning the pistol using stands solvents and can rule out crud accumulation. I am ruling myself out as I am consistently shooting similar groups with my other guns. Next range session I will try to shoot form a bench rest to get a clear picture. But I was speculating if I may have shot out the SS barrel? Is that possible with less than 5000 rounds through it?
Your thoughts would be welcome.

Thanks,
fxh
Old November 27, 2012, 01:40 AM   #2
CWKahrFan

I'm not a vastly experienced reloader and I haven't been reloading .40 very long but I do use Power Pistol and understand that it's one of the very strongest commercial powders available.

I found that my 6.4gr. loads of PP packed a considerably bigger punch than the Federal white box XM40HC's that I bought so I decided to tone it down considerably to the 5.6gr. range.

Especially for target range fare, I feel 6.4gr. of PP kinda puts unnecessary strain on a gun... (but I'm no expert).
Old November 27, 2012, 01:47 AM   #3
tahunua001

highly doubt that you shot it out.

out of curiosity how often are you changing out your brass? how many times do you normally reload before you throw your brass away?

one thing you may try is buying a few boxes of quality ammo and seeing if it makes any difference.
Old November 27, 2012, 08:04 PM   #4
fxh

Thanks for the replies. I have about 1500 cases and keep good track for there use. I have cycled through my older cases three times. At what point do I need to start considering newer brass?

Before using PP I tried W231, Bullseye and HS-6. My best results were with Bullseye using 5.4gr, CCI primer 1.125 OAL.

Good idea on using factory ammo. Since I reload everything I shoot, factory was not even a consideration for me.