The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 19, 2006, 04:53 PM   #26
urbanassault

Hmm...maybe you should look harder, check this one out http://www.remingtonle.com/ or look into a squad car once, try that too. Also have you seen an AR-15 in a squad, cuz I have.
Heres another one from a LE officer on a LE forum

Quote:
coming from the UK we arn't really trusted with much, but in answer to Darecops Question
I do have some experiance. We do a thing over here called pratical shotgun, run along IPSA type rules and I use a Remington 11/87(the parkerised finished type)a 30 inch tube, compensator/ muzzel brake, speedfeed pistol stock, customised loading hatch, extended safety and wait for it...a 14 round mag, giving a max capacity of 15 x 2 3/4 loads of bird shot or 14 OO buck. a bit big for a squad car but Choate and Speedfeed make some good add-ons. Why bother with the ring sights - at the ranges expeced they must slow you down some?
Take care
Mike

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 19, 2006, 05:17 PM   #27
urbanassault

Quote:
Why do I want AR-15 furniture on a shotgun?
The first reason you might look at AR-15 stocks and grips for a shotgun is because you want a pistol grip stock system. A pistol grip is well suited for tactical applications, as it allows the shooter to keep the weapon close to the body and ready for instant use, while keeping the arms close in at the same time. The AR-15 just happens to have the most commonly used pistol grip arrangement for long guns in America. Many stock and grip combinations are available for the AR-15, making it a very versatile platform.

M16 rifles and M4 carbines, as well as AR-15s, can be fitted with telescoping stocks, and these stocks are widely available. Telescoping stocks are especially useful with tactical shotguns that are used with body armor, in vehicles or other confined spaces or by women or smaller men.

There is a number of special-purpose folding stocks and pistol grip stocks for shotguns on the market, most of which do what an AR-15 stock and grip can do. The advantage of using an AR-15 stock and grip on a shotgun, however, is the availability of many different options and combinations, most of which have been battle-proven in military applications. Also, departments or agencies that switch between AR-15s and shotguns for various tactical situations will appreciate the easy transition from an AR-15 to a shotgun equipped with AR-15 furniture.
http://www.mesatactical.com/informat...info_id=6#0050

Si Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Old January 19, 2006, 05:17 PM   #28
Dave R

Quote:
Since I want to shoot the gun with some regularity, it looks like I may be getting a (please hold your "girlyman accusations" 20 gauge. I'll ask for advice on that in another thread.
Before you decide to trade in your 12ga. for a 20, shoot some lighter loads, first, as others have suggested.

The 12ga. will give you more versatility. There are light 12ga. loads that will give less recoil than stiff 20ga. loads. And you preserve the option to use heavier loads if you ever decide to hunt geese or whatever.

And, IMHO, a recoil pad is mandatory on a shotgun. Why hurt if you don't have to?

FWIW, the heaviest recoil I ever experienced in my life was a 3" magnum buckshot load from my Rem 870. No more of that for me. When I shoot 3" steel duck loads, I never notice recoil, probably from the excitement of hunting. When I shoot clays with a modest load of 7's or 8's, I also can ignore the recoil for the most part.

The recoil pad, the load, and a proper hold, will go a very long way toward reducing felt recoil.
Old January 21, 2006, 11:13 AM   #29
greyeyezz

I replaced my synthetic 870 stock with a full length pistol grip stock and will never go back. Recoil is distributed between the palm of my hand and shoulder instead of a straight shot to the shoulder, it kicks much less. Even 3" turkey mags are tollerable. Trigger reach is more of a natural posistion than my wrist twisted at a unatural angle, follow up shots are quicker. That my experience anyway YMMV.