The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 22, 2005, 01:31 PM   #1
Schneider1953

Ithaca Identification

In a previous post, I had asked how in God's name do you identify particular Ithaca Shotguns. I have inherited (and DO NOT INTEND TO SELL), a single barrel ventilated rib 12 ga, which the serial number says this gun was manufactured in 1916.

It has a beavertail forearm, is engraved beautifuly and the wood is fantastic.

It was determined by another member this is a "Flues Grade", but I need to know what grade...is it a Grade 1 A grade 2?

Hope you can help me. I need this for insurance purposes.

Have a great Holiday Season to all.
Old December 22, 2005, 01:55 PM   #2
Jim Watson

I am not an Ithaca expert but it is not a "Flues Grade" it is a Flues gun, action designed by Mr Flues prior to introduction of the Knickerbocker guns (NID or New Ithaca Double when doublebarrelled) in 1921.

Blue Book shows no Ithaca Single Barrel Trap guns below grade 4E except for the plain Victory model. They say 5E came out in 1925 so yours isn't one of them. Start dates for other grades are not given.

You need a real expert or a book on the subject for accurate ID.
Old December 22, 2005, 02:53 PM   #3
johnbt

Flues Model Single Barrel Trap Gun (1914 to 1922) - ...A lower cost Victory grade was introduced in 1919 and the higer cost Sousa Special in 1918.
A rubber recoil pad was an option. Guns having the pre-1916 engraving pattern will command the highest prices. - '99 Standard Catalog of Firearms

There is a sketch of a single barrel 5E in the 14th Gun Trader's Guide: 2 fleur-de-lis on the grip AND the side of the gun behind the receiver is checkered.

Looking at the small sketches of the SxS 4E and 5E guns, it appears the 4E does not have any checkering on the side of the gun immediately above the trigger (the area from the receiver back to the checkering on the grip) and does have an uncheckered 'ribbon with a fleur-de-lis running across the center of the grip checkering. Total of 2 fleur-de-lis: one at the front of the grip chechering and one in the middle.

The sides of the 5E are checkered and the grip checkering is not divided in half by a ribbon. It still has the fleur-de-lis at the front of the grip checkering.

This would be easier if I could find some pictures.

John
Old December 23, 2005, 02:25 PM   #4
Schneider1953

Thank you all for the response.

I looked up the grade 4 and 5 and I am going to insure it for the $5,750.00 amount as estimated by "Blue Book of Gun Values, 2005". I will insure it for 15% upgrade for every year to come. This is one of my father's first guns, and I want to keep it in the blood line forever.

You all have been helpful and I appreciate it.

Yours in sportsmanship, and wishing you the best 2006 has to offer,

John Balek (Schneider1953)