The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 31, 2001, 05:33 AM   #1
cbjessee@NH

Fitting Several Barrels to One Pistol?

I have a SIG P239 with factory 357sig and BarSto 40S&W and 9mm barrels as well as a SIG P226 with factory 40S&W and BarSto 9mm barrels. Although the BarSto barrels are drop-in, each had to be fitted, all but the P226 9mm by BarSto and that by a local smith. Is it standard practice to fit "extra" barrels so that they sight in with the existing sight adjustement? That is, if I swap barrels, should I expect the same zero, at least at 25 yards?

BRET
Old July 31, 2001, 06:47 AM   #2
kurt IA.

Execpt some shift in zero. Most smiths will do there best to fit barrels dead nuts on, but do to lathe ware, tool ware and other things that can, an do, go wrong it,s darn hard. Most of the time spent fiting a barrel is in the setup.
Old July 31, 2001, 10:13 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

Due to the differing velocities and barrel times, I would say that it is very unlikely that the barrels will shoot to the same point of impact, though you might luck out. Fitting the barrel will not usually be able to change the situation.

Jim