The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 3, 2013, 08:52 PM   #26
flyinpolack

R Lee Ermey loves guns, and he's an actor!
Old February 3, 2013, 09:48 PM   #27
NWPilgrim

According to the weekend box office it looks like almost everyone ignored Stallone's latest movie, "Bullet to the head", which may be a good prescription for his acting career. Stop already.

What is irritating about actors such as Stallone mouthing off about making guns illegal is that they made a fine bunch of money using guns as a primary prop in their movies and the majority of their movie ticket customers were likely gun owners or sons of gun owners.

So it is not just an actor that has disagreeable politics, it is actors thumbing their noses at the people who made them wealthy. Like a NASCAR racer who would pontificate that gas guzzlers ought to be banned. Yeah, should not expect that to go over well with the fan base.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 4, 2013, 01:46 PM   #28
MikeG

Quote:
Don't disagree w boycotting Stallone, but if you are going to boycott every actor/actress who is either Anti gun or a hypocrite, you wont be watching much of anything new. Stick to Tom selleck, chuck Norris, Steven seagal, charleston Heston, brad Pitt, eastwood, willis and James garner movies. Only a couple of these still making movies.
Actually, 1stmar, that isn't a bad choice. Now movies lean heavily on CGI and shock value and not so much on good writing acting and cinematography. This is especially true of the classic age of hollywood.

Actors back then had flaws and scandals but not like now. Today's 'stars' are so pathetically dysfunctional I wouldn't let any of them in the house.

Simply put, I refuse to undergo the annoyance of trying to derive entertainment from the filmed ego trips of elitists who don't think we peasants deserve rights.
Old February 4, 2013, 05:42 PM   #29
markj

Buddy HAcket was a gun person of the highest kind. I still love the movies he was in.

Stallone is a weinie boy, pumped up steroid abuser, not anything like a true hero type like John Wayne was. These pumped up "heros" make me want to puke, give me a Hoss Cartwright, now he was a man to watch. (My physical similarities to Hoss were not in any way judgemental in this posting)
Old February 4, 2013, 06:06 PM   #30
MLeake

John Wayne had admirable traits, but he was 4F in real life, and would have been the first to say he was a hero only because the writers made him one. (In fact, he did say that on at least one occasion.)

Lee Marvin, wounded as a Marine in the island campaigns, was arguably more heroic, but I doubt he was terribly pro-gun. His view on movie violence was that it should be ugly, not sugar-coated, so as to make people think it was something to be avoided.

I don't know that Michael Caine is pro-gun, but he is a Korean War veteran.

Heroic types may not be pro-gun, and pro-gun types are not necessarily heroic.

Last edited by MLeake; February 5, 2013 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Original post made it sound like Wayne called himself a hero, when I meant that he himself said he was not one.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:43 PM   #31
Double Naught Spy

LOL, John Wayne was no more of a hero anymore than William Shatner. So for real hero accomplishments, John Wayne, Sylvester Stallone, and William Shatner are pretty equal, LOL, right up there with Mighty Mouse and Inspecter Gadget.

None were real life heroes, just fake ones.
Old February 4, 2013, 10:58 PM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
John Wayne was no more of a hero anymore than William Shatner.
You take that back right now! William Shatner is an American (well, Canadian) icon, and a musical genius to boot.

I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Joe Mantegna yet. He's not a Hollywood action hero type, but plenty of folks see him on the TV dramas, and he's one of us.
Old February 4, 2013, 11:06 PM   #33
4V50 Gary
Staff

If anyone thinks William Shatner is a good actor, they should see The White Cheyanne. He couldn't act back then either.

Gary Cooper was a avid gun collector.

BTW, boycott Stallone because he can't act anyway.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:07 AM   #34
Buzzcook

So any other politically correct strictures? Are there pro and anti margarines?

Well you don't have to look far because the NRA has an enemies list. A one stop shop for your boycott needs.

http://nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=15

I for one plan to boycott Mary Lou Retton, who's with me?
Old February 5, 2013, 11:44 AM   #35
win-lose

Quote:
So any other politically correct strictures? Are there pro and anti margarines?

Well you don't have to look far because the NRA has an enemies list. A one stop shop for your boycott needs.

http://nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=15

I for one plan to boycott Mary Lou Retton, who's with me?
That list is huge.... they should put a hypocrite flag on those who do differently then what they preach. While they are at it... maybe make a friends list.

Mary Lou will not get another penny from me.... can't very well boycott Sarah Lee, too darn delicious....
Old February 5, 2013, 12:18 PM   #36
Gunnut17

It's a terrible world for someone like me. I found out Jamie Foxx is anti-gun a week after watching Collateral.
Old February 5, 2013, 12:44 PM   #37
MLeake

Gunnut17, I wouldn't call Foxx hypocritical based on Collateral. The Tom Cruise character, Vincent, is the professional gunman in that movie - but he's a hit man. The Foxx character only picks up a gun as an absolute last result, after several tries to run away.

In other words, it isn't what I would necessarily call a pro-gun movie, nor a pro-gun role, even though Michael Mann's movies in general feature pretty impressive gun handling.

Edit: On the other hand, I'd say it would be fair to call Foxx a hypocrite based on Django Unchained.

Last edited by MLeake; February 5, 2013 at 02:25 PM.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:23 PM   #38
Dragline45

If you wana talk about hero actors, no one beats Audie Murphy.
Old February 5, 2013, 02:30 PM   #39
Gunnut17

@Mleake Yeah, it's just that I had started to become a fan of him, then, poof.
Old February 5, 2013, 04:06 PM   #40
SPEMack618

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Servo
I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Joe Mantegna yet. He's not a Hollywood action hero type, but plenty of folks see him on the TV dramas, and he's one of us.
And Joe does good work for military families that have special needs kids. He's a good guy.

He's also the only guy on "Criminal Minds" that carries a real gun now.
Old February 5, 2013, 11:46 PM   #41
NWPilgrim

Quote:
Absolutely. I think he was great in the Westerns, and of course his movie To Hell and Back. One of the best war books and movies ever because as outstanding as his actions were, they were all a result of his compassion for his fellow soldier, not for glory.

Always worth putting Audie's name in lights when the word hero is mentioned, and doubly in regards to actors.
"The ultimate authority ... resides in the people alone. ... The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition."
- James Madison
Old February 6, 2013, 08:36 AM   #42
MLeake

The thing is, guys, assuming that all heroes are pro-gun, or that all pro-gun actors are heroes, oversimplifies and isn't necessarily accurate.

For instance, though not an actor, George McGovern was a decorated B-24 Liberator pilot in WWII. He later became one of our biggest anti-war politicians.

Jimmy Stewart was a Brigadier General in the Air Force, and a combat pilot. I don't know his thoughts on guns, but he wasn't a hardcore conservative type.

An acquaintance of mine is an anti, but was also awarded the Silver Star.

Beware of mental traps, like assuming because somebody does A, then he must believe B.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:47 AM   #43
Pilot

Quote:
Jimmy Stewart was a Brigadier General in the Air Force, and a combat pilot. I don't know his thoughts on guns, but he wasn't a hardcore conservative type.
Ahh, yes he was.

Jimmy Stewart flew at least 20 combat missions over Europe in WWII as a pilot of a B-24 Liberator and eventually squadron commander, and flying cross recipient. He was the real deal, and yes Stewart was very pro-gun, and he WAS a hardcore conservative type. Do a little research on him please.
Old February 6, 2013, 08:54 AM   #44
MLeake

Pilot, there is a difference between supporting the Republican party, and being a hardcore conservative.

Yes, Stewart supported Nixon, and then Reagan.

On the other side, he had been roommates with, and was a lifelong friend of Henry Fonda.

And, there is this, from Stewart's Wikipedia page:

Quote:
Following the assassination of Senator Robert F. Kennedy in 1968, Stewart, Charlton Heston, Kirk Douglas and Gregory Peck issued a statement calling for support of President Johnson's Gun Control Act of 1968.[101]
Perhaps you might do some more research.
Old February 6, 2013, 09:10 AM   #45
22-rimfire

Stalone is getting a bit old and is fading away. I wouldn't be too concerned with his political views and boycotting his movies.

My all time favorite actor of the older "hero actors" was Gary Cooper. Love most of his movies, mostly because Gary Cooper is in them. Then Clint came along.... hard to beat Clint Eastwood. Getting old really sucks!
Old February 6, 2013, 11:15 AM   #46
Glenn E. Meyer

Bruce Willis came out against new gun laws.

So what - why do we care about celebrities?

Maybe they can all opine about the 3rd Amend.
Old February 6, 2013, 12:19 PM   #47
ScottRiqui

I don't hold actors responsible for "living up" to their on-screen personae - I know that Arnold Schwarzenegger isn't really a killer cyborg from the future, and I'm (fairly) certain that Sharon Stone has never killed anyone with an icepick.

They're ACTORS, for Pete's sake; there's nothing hypocritical about an actor not conforming to his real-life ideals while performing in a movie that's meant to entertain.

Did you think it was hypocritical for Clint Eastwood to play Harry Callahan, when he was never a cop in real life? Was it hypocritical for James Caan to portray an Italian mobster in "The Godfather" when he's not actually either one?
Old February 6, 2013, 04:44 PM   #48
markj

Quote:
Yeah, but he couldnt act. Saw a few of his movies with my 9 year old son. Great movies but his acting is a little stiff.

A friend of mine was a nam marine, he hates guns. My nephew was in iraq and afgan, saw some heavy fighting, isnt so keen on guns now.

Other marine friends I have love guns and carry them, some carry 4

My Uncle was a sheriff, he carried 4 to 6 revolvers, said it was easier to grab a new gun then reload. He was in some fire fights back in the 50s and 60s, took down a hells angels gang.

Some folks like guns, some dont, its the way it is. As far as actors go, how can you tell if they are for real or acting when they say their anti gun statements?
Old February 6, 2013, 04:58 PM   #49
Gunnut17

How does one carry four guns?
Old February 6, 2013, 06:17 PM   #50
SIGSHR

I boycott anyone and everyone who is anti-2nd Amendment/RKBA.