The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 13, 2013, 01:39 PM   #1
TheGeep

Please recommend an AK47 gunsmith in Vegas

I have a good general 'smith, but they don't get a lot of AK work and I want someone with plenty of AK experience. I have two brand new VEPR rifles, one in .223 and one in 7.62x39. Both rifles are going to receive Tapco G2 trigger groups and US made pistons. The 7.62 I want modified to work well with TAPCO standard AK mags (usually readily available in various capacities), and the .223 is going to receive an MSA AR-15 magwell adapter which requires milling the receiver. While I'm sure I could figure out most of this on my own and could probably "Bubba" things together, I simply don't have the tools to do it properly, and I do want it done properly and professionally. I don't know how many of you have experience with the VEPR rifles, but they are the nicest AK style rifles IMHO, and I wouldn't want to make a mess of them. So, can anyone recommend a good 'smith in the Las Vegas area, or even someone worth shipping to for these rifles?

Last edited by TheGeep; January 14, 2013 at 05:58 PM.
Old January 15, 2013, 12:19 AM   #2
TheGeep

Someone on another forum recommended Rifle Dynamics. I emailed them and they said they don't work on VEPR's. That makes no sense to me at all, but it's their company. Any other suggestions would be helpful.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:28 PM   #3
TheGeep

OK, I've decided against making permanent modifications to the receiver, so the MSA adapter is out. I have Polish Beryl .223 mags on the way which are supposed to be top-notch mags. So far the only local company to respond that was willing to do the job and sounded confident in their AK work is New Frontier Armory. I am still waiting on parts so I don't have to pick a smith yet, but unless I get a better suggestion, it looks like it will be them.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:33 PM   #4
spacecoast

If the Tapco mags need a little adjusting, I recommend you modify them rather than modifying the rifles to fit them. Mine needed a little sanding on the tab that locks the mag in place, max. 10 minutes per mag with a file.
Old January 17, 2013, 06:41 PM   #5
TheGeep

I am going to have tactical mag catches installed. They come a little oversize and will need to be filed anyway, so it shouldn't be a big deal to match them up to the mags I'll be using. The original parts will all sit in a baggie in case they ever have to go back in the gun.