The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 24, 2010, 12:34 PM   #1
golfballshootr

Case separation removal

Any suggestions on how to remove a broken case from a barrel? My shooting partner just had the head come off of his 7MM Rem mag and the rest of the case is in the bore. He has made some calls and a smith can get to it this afternoon, said it will only take about 10 minutes for the work, cost is $25 and drive is 1.5 hours one way to the smith.

I told him take it in, but I would post and see what suggestions are offered.
Old February 24, 2010, 12:47 PM   #2
Scorch

Try a very tight patch from the muzzle end first. When it gets to the neck area it will probably pop the case out of the chamber. If that does not work, plug the bore with a patch right at the front of the chamber, pour a small amount of melted CerroSafe or melted lead into the chamber, let it cool, then knock the case out of the chamber with a cleaning rod.

For a bolt action rifle, if you have neither of the items described, you can remove the bolt, mix up some epoxy, put a smear of it on the corners of a 1/2" dowel, and carefully put the dowel into the broken case from the breech. After the epoxy cures, just pull the broken case out.

The first two methods will take about 5 minutes to try. The second will take about 1/2 hour because of the cure time. In your case, either is faster than driving to the gunsmith. Good luck!
Old February 24, 2010, 12:58 PM   #3
kraigwy

Often you can get them out with a bore brush, maybe even stepping up the bore bush a cal.

Normally caused by over worked brass so I'd consider trashing that lot of brass.

I've made Stuck Case Removers for differant calibers. Pretty simple really, Turn down a piece of mild steel until its matchs the outside frim diameter of your brass. Then taper the steel until you have a sharp edge of the cal. Then taper the front to about 75% of the cal. Drill the piece out and tape it to fit your cleaning rod threads. Using the Tap dirll bit for those threads, drill competly through the piece you have just made. Then using a slitting saw, cut a slit, either 3 or 4 slits, about 1/3 to 1/2 way from the front, it should be sort of spring loaded not, you can push it through the neck and it will spring out grabbing the case mouth.

Sounds like a lot of work, but it isnt really, plus it gives you an insurance policy if you're out hunting, or at a match and dont have access to a gun smith.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old February 24, 2010, 01:52 PM   #4
edward5759

Location: Phoenix, AZ. 30 miles from water, two feet from Hell.
Kraig is right

Kraig is right

I had a bunch of stuck cases come into the shop.
I used a stainless steal brush in the end if an old cleaning rod on the tough ones. I would stick the brush in the breech then using a sliding weight I would bring the weight up like a dent puller and out came the case.
the brush would bind on the inside of the case.
I did this if the proceedures that Kraig said didn’t work.
Good luck
Ed
Old February 24, 2010, 02:10 PM   #5
golfballshootr

Thanks for the tips men, we got it and fixing to go back to shooting the gongs!! Appreciate the help.