The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 18, 2001, 01:50 PM   #1
SteveSatch

folding stock info needed

I need info about folding stocks for the 870. No, I don't want to shoot the gun with the stock in the folded position, I want a folding stock for much better storage. I need one that can QUICKLY be put into the unfolded position and be shot comfortably that way. I've only shot a folder once. It was a Remington factory top folder and I shot it in the unfolded position. It had a piece of metal that looked like it would cut your face up if you used any kind of check weld so you had to kind of hold the shotgun out there. It sucked for shooting, but I saw the real advantages for storage. All I know about foldrrs is there are top and side. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Satch
Old August 18, 2001, 07:14 PM   #2
ModIMark0

How about a collapsible shotgun stock? The Navy and Marines use a collapsing model made by Sage International.
It has a pair of rails that are attached to a swiveling buttplate with a nice pad on it that stows above the hump of the 870's receiver. It has three positions that it locks into: collapsed, extended, and 2/3's or 3/4's (I'm guessing for when wearing body armor or bulky clothing). It has a length of pull of 13 5/8". I know of a guy that has one on his 870, though he had said that ones cheek is situated a bit low (could you call it an ultra-low skeleton comb stock?) when shooting, and he is apprehensive about shooting it in the winter with the exposed metal rails. But it is a sturdy stock. It is/was around $100-120.
There is another folding stock out from Rampart that appeared to use a heavy gauge steel tube as the main strut. It too had a thick butt pad. It locked on the left side of the receiver.It has a length of pull of 13.25". It is/was available from Brownells for $189.95 (#738-100-870).
Brownells used to carry the Sage collapsing stock, but it was discontinued. Contact info for Sage is:
Sage International Ltd.
3391 East Eberhardt Street
Oscoda MI
Phone # 517-739-7000 and 517-739-7098
Hope that this information is helpful.