The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 28, 2008, 10:29 PM   #1
mikenbarb

what is a shell graphiter used for?

What is the purpose for a shell graphiter? I dont get it.
Old June 28, 2008, 11:06 PM   #2
Scorch

To lube the inside of the case neck before resizing. Graphite is a dry lube, and reduces friction so that the case neck does not get stretched as much as resizing without lube when the expander passes through the case neck. Some manufacturers sell mica for lubing case necks, works the same way. The reason you don't want to use the same case lube you use on the outside of the case is that you can contaminate the powder with it.
Old June 29, 2008, 04:45 AM   #3
Martyn4802

+1
I use graphite as Scorch described.
Old June 29, 2008, 07:30 AM   #4
mikenbarb

Does it work well and not harm anything?(I know its messy) What other type of lubes are used for resizing inside necks? I havnt been using anything on the inside of necks and wondering if I should be.
Old June 30, 2008, 04:09 PM   #5
amamnn

I'm going to guess that you are not loading for a BR rifle or other high precision match rifle. If this is true, you can stop worrying about graphiting your case necks. If, at some time in the future, you might want to load for super accuracy, in a custom rifle, a tool like the Forster case neck graphiter will be useful.

The tool is a trough that you fill with fine ground mica, AKA white graphite, or if you love to be filthy, black graphite. There are brushes mounted perpendicularly in the trough. You pick up the graphite in your case neck and then, in a vaguely obscene imitation of the mating rituals of the south pacific Pygmy, vigorously run the case up and down the brush. This not only lubricates the inside case neck with an inert and non-contaminating substance, but cleans carbon from fired case necks.

The idea is that the expander ball of your FL die will then more easily move through the neck during sizing. This will tend to pull the neck out of alignment less than an unlubed case neck.

If you have a rifle that can benefit from better concenticity in your loads, and you have the tools to measure it, the tool is well worth buying. The only thing I have seen about damage cause by graphiting is in the Forster instructions which urge you to wipe off any graphite on the outside of the neck to avoid and remote possibility of minor scratching of your super expensive benchrest die. There are other lubes, but the above method is the best combination of value and convenience and non-contamination .
Old July 1, 2008, 11:09 AM   #6
Incognito

amamnn - Post: 666

That's a powdered mica graphiter in red (Foster). You can definitely notice a difference when re-sizing.
Old July 1, 2008, 01:34 PM   #7
mikenbarb

Graphite or Mica

Yep, Thats what im talking about. Thanks, I think im gonna get one. I use my rifles for long range BR and some for hunting so hopefully it will make life a little better. Being new to reloading I have noticed that the smallest things matter greatly.
Thanks everyone.
BTW, Whats better in them, Graphite or mica?
Old July 1, 2008, 02:38 PM   #8
Incognito

Quote:
BTW, Whats better in them, Graphite or mica?
Mica is widely available for reloading applications (neck lube), while graphite is primarily sold as a dry weapon lube.