The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 24, 2005, 01:31 AM   #1
DHart

1100 Competition Master or 11-87 Police for Home Defense?

From what I can find, the 1100 is not available with an 18.5" barrel, but the 1100 Competition Master (22" bbl) looks like a pretty hot gun. On the other hand, there's the 11-87 Police, which has the compact length of 18.5".

I like the shorter 11-87 due to it's compact size, but the 1100 CM is very appealing as well. Can anyone educate me a bit more on the pros & cons or these two guns for home defense? (I already have an 18.5" 500A Persuader 12 ga., so my pump category is fine at the moment.)

Which would you choose for HD and why?
Old September 24, 2005, 07:45 AM   #2
Coop de Ville

Right now I have the 870P with speed feed 4's and all the tac stuff. To be honest, I'm thinking about puting the old wood back on, since I think it will look better and probably handle just as well. It has a 20" tube that I feel is a little long for close stuff.

I had, at first, the 870P 18" that just felt a whole lot better to me as far as handling. I traded that for the 1187P with an 18" tube and the ghost rings. As much as I liked it, it would hang up on lighter loads. Specifically the federal #8's that I kept for HD. I never shot it enough with tougher loads to test its reliability.

I ended up trading it for a Browning HP.......

I do, at times wish I kept it or had purchased another. I even liked the looks of the CM, but $$$ and the fact that it doesn't take 3" shells helped me lose interest.

I believe your persuader fits the bill just fine for HD. If you want to play around with tactical stuff then the 870 is hard to beat. I'm actually looking at the wingmaster or classic 1100 now for sporting purposes.

Not that this post helped any but, If you're looking for an auto for HD I would go with the 1187P or look at the Benellis- their recoil system is supposed to be reliable.

Best -Coop
"If chance be the father of all flesh, disaster is his rainbow in the sky. And when you hear a 'state of emergencies, sniper kills ten, troops on rampage, whites go looting, bomb blasts school,' it is but the sound of man , worshipping his maker." - S. Turner