The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 29, 2012, 07:36 PM   #1
deadeyedeadyote

Hunting with semi-auto rifle legal in Vermont?

Hey everybody you all seem knowledgable and I hope someone here can assist me. I've been looking at the Vermont state laws and restrictions regarding hunting with a semi-auto rifle with a clip like an AR-15 and could find no clear answer. I've been contemplating moving to VT from NYS and was wondering if it'd even be worth getting a nice semi-auto rifle if I can't even hunt with it. Thanks for your assistance!
Old April 5, 2012, 09:42 PM   #2
Salmoneye

Hunting with Semi auto is fine here in VT, but the mag can not hold more than 6 rounds...

See page 22 of the VT Digest:

Machine Guns & autoloading rifles:

It is illegal while hunting in Vermont to use, carry, or have
in your possession a machine gun of any kind or description
or an autoloading rifle with a magazine capacity of over 6
cartridges, except a .22 caliber rifle using rim fire cartridges.

http://www.eregulations.com/vermont/pdf
Old April 10, 2012, 02:30 PM   #3
gunloony

I wonder how that magazine capacity restriction applies to firearms with detachable magazines such as the AR-15 referenced in the original post. Seems that if someone were inclined to push the point, an interpretation could be made that since the rifle could potentially have a 30-round (or more) capacity magazine, it is an illegal weapon.
Does anyone know if their is any explanation or case law addressing this point?
Old April 10, 2012, 03:31 PM   #4
Salmoneye

You lost me...

Don't take a 30 round mag hunting, and there is no issue...

Same scenario as hunting ducks with a magazine capacity over 2 shells...

Either change to a detachable mag that holds less, or mechanically block a fixed mag so it holds less than the limit, and that can not be altered without disassembling the firearm...

The 'weapon' itself is irrelevant...
Old April 10, 2012, 09:11 PM   #5
MLeake

Buy some 5 round AR mags. I don't have any, but know they are available.

I have 5 round clips for my Garand, though. Ordered those from Brownell's. It would not surprise me if Brownell's has 5 round AR mags, too.
Old April 11, 2012, 04:08 PM   #6
44 AMP
Staff

From the posted reg...its very simple

Quote:
It is illegal while hunting in Vermont to use, carry, or have
in your possession ....
Quote:
Seems that if someone were inclined to push the point, an interpretation could be made that since the rifle could potentially have a 30-round (or more) capacity magazine, it is an illegal weapon.
Potential doesn't matter, only what you actually "use, carry, or posess" while hunting...

Got only 5 rnd mags on you while hunting? Fine. What the rifle is capable of accepting is irrelevant, so long as you do not do it while hunting.

Hunt with the 5 rnd mags, leave the 20 & 30 rnd sticks at home, you're good (as I read the law).

Have a 30 rnd in your pocket while hunting? THere, I think you would be in violation, even though its not in the gun, because you are possessing it while hunting.

The way the law is stated, tis not what the rifle can do, it's what you do (and possess) while hunting...

Just my opinion, and worth what you paid for it.

Also might want to see if .223 is allowed for deer. Otherwise, tis woodchuck & varmint, and no carry in the woods during deer season. If you have a deer legal caliber AR, go with the 5rnd mags, and leave the rest at home.
Old April 11, 2012, 08:02 PM   #7
Salmoneye

Quote:
Also might want to see if .223 is allowed for deer.
VT has no limit on caliber while hunting any animal (other than Raccoon, or while engaged in trapping)...

'Technically', .22 rimfire is legal for all game where a rifle is legal, and a handgun is also legal wherever a rifle is legal...

All in the digest that I linked...