The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 19, 2001, 03:04 PM   #1
JohnPL

Drilling/tapping for scope

I consider myself pretty handy with tools, but I do know my limitations. Drilling and tapping for a scope mount seems pretty staightforward and basic, except that if you don't get the base lined up perfectly with the barrel, I would think that you may never get the point of impact to coincide with the reticle. My question: How do you drill and tap a receiver?
Old September 19, 2001, 03:35 PM   #2
Rottweiler

Using a jig to align the holes seems to keep me from pulling my hair out. Brownells has 'em, I think Midway carries them in their new gunsmithing catalog too.
Old September 19, 2001, 10:29 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is possible to do it without a jig, but only a very good machinist should attempt it. If you don't want to spring for a $150 jig for one job, take the gun to a gunsmith.

I am not going to disparage anyone's capability, but I have seen a lot of rifles ruined by people trying to drill and tap without the proper equipment. It does not take much error to be off so far a rifle cannot be sighted in. The holes are usually off enough that a new hole cannot be drilled without running out into the old one. This means that the stray hole has to be plugged or welded up and a new hole (or holes) drilled.

In other words, a DIY job may end up being a lot more trouble than it is worth and cost more than a professional job would ever cost.

Jim