The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 28, 2013, 05:43 PM   #1
shrewd

how "affordable" would you go for a durable carry 1911?

I've decided it's time for the cw9 to go. At first inwas looking at a g19 or some such but I find myself eyeing a commander or cco sized 1911 more
And more.

I see kimbers and sigs and such for over a grand, as well as other top tier custom pistols. I've also seen 1911s fail in intense pistol courses.

So with that in mind how affordable can a carry sized 1911 (I carry best around 3 o'clock) be and be good enough?

Suggestions?
Old January 28, 2013, 05:48 PM   #2
Nanuk

You get what you pay for. There are so many people making 1911's today it boggles the mind. If I were in the market for a 1911 today I would not buy a "production" 1911.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old January 28, 2013, 05:53 PM   #3
allaroundhunter

To me, carrying a full size 1911 is easier than carrying my G19.

Generally speaking, the smaller the 1911, the more reliability issues you will have. The smallest 1911 that I will carry is a commander size.

If I were to look for an affordable carry 1911, then the cheapest commander size that I would use would be Springfield or Kimber, so probably about $800.

The full size options from Rock Island and the like have been very reliable for many people, and after putting a couple hundred rounds through one I would not have a problem carrying it. Those run a little less than $500 (at least they used to).

Last edited by allaroundhunter; January 29, 2013 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Wrong manufacturer recommended
Old January 28, 2013, 05:57 PM   #4
WVsig

People seem to like the Sig C3 which is a CCO configuration. That is about as low as I would go. If I were looking for a new carry 1911 I would look at the Dan Wesson line.....

The CCO Bobatail would be my choice....

http://cz-usa.com/products/view/dan-wesson-cco-bobtail/

Next would be the SA EMP.... Not a true 1911 but close enough.

I carry this which is a custom Colt CCO....

Old January 28, 2013, 06:06 PM   #5
HKFan9

I have a Springfield Champion Operator that is in my carry rotation with a Glock 19 and a Springfield XDS. However I have my eye on a Dan Wesson V-bob.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:39 PM   #6
Kreyzhorse

$800 to $900 or so should get you into a well made gun by Springfield, Colt, Ruger or Smith & Wesson.

All should be reliable but of you have a problem, all of those makers should get it fixed up for you without hassle.
Old January 28, 2013, 06:47 PM   #7
AdrianVall

I'm currently in the market for a 1911 and I'm having a silly hard time trying to find one within my $900 budget and that meets my liking. I can get a Springfield Loaded in black for about $890 from my LGS, but its not really what I want. If I could find one in stainless for around that price, I'd jump on it real quick. I've been looking around on GunBroker a LOT lately, but by the time you pay for shipping and transfer fee, your not really saving anything. GRRR! So frustrating.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:19 PM   #8
mxsailor803

Then be patient. Wait and get what you really want, even if that means spending more. At least that way you will be happier.
Old January 28, 2013, 07:38 PM   #9
LRChops

Kimber CDP II Custom is a great shorty .45. I have a re-worked Para LDA .45 compact that would be a great carry gun, but the dang thing is heavy when loaded up!
Old January 28, 2013, 09:43 PM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by allaroundhunter
The full size options from Rock River and the like have been very reliable for many people, and after putting a couple hundred rounds through one I would not have a problem carrying it. Those run a little less than $500 (at least they used to).
Rock River Arms dropped out of the 1911 market several years ago, and their pistols ran about $3,000 when they were making them

I think you mean Rock Island Arsenal. Made in the Philippines on state-of-the-art CNC machines, reasonably priced, and they have many thousands (at least tens of thousands, and probably hundreds of thousands) of people who trust them for everyday carry ... every day.
Old January 28, 2013, 10:40 PM   #11
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
I have a Colt Officer's that is included in my carry rotation. It was gone through by a top shelf 1911 smith before I ever shot it/NIB to smith/to me, I also replace the recoil spring every 300 rounds, and have never had a malfunction since new with carry and shooting. (Some would say every 300 rounds is a bit of "extreme" maintenance; however, like I said above, never a malfunction.) This 1911 is specifically for carry therefore, I keep it in top form as it were. I have other 1911s that I shoot more rounds through as "range guns".

I also replace my magazine springs fairly regularly; every couple of years, but I leave carry mags loaded and do shoot my Officer's a fair amount. Might be overkill, hard to argue with no problems other than around $20 a year of spring costs.

The smaller one goes with a 1911, the more the springs come into play.

Good Luck in your search!

Now, go figure...
Old January 28, 2013, 11:03 PM   #12
shootniron

Quote:
Some would say every 300 rounds is a bit of "extreme" maintenance; however, like I said above, never a malfunction.
I have 2 with over 2000 rounds on the springs without a malfunction.

I think that you can get a good carry 1911 for $800...I have a couple that cost considerably less that I will carry and never give it a second thought...they are reliable.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:10 PM   #13
AZAK

Quote:
I have 2 with over 2000 rounds on the springs without a malfunction
As do I. However, I also have some 1911s that have had malfunctions that were spring related (as in replaced the springs and the malfunctions ceased).

For my carry guns, I choose to be a little on the conservative side; especially on 1911s that are shorter/smaller than the original design. I would rather "test" out spring durability/longevity on my "range guns".

YMMV

Now, go figure...
Old January 28, 2013, 11:12 PM   #14
HKFan9

AZAK.....

Quote:
Might be overkill, hard to argue with no problems other than around $20 a year of spring costs.
I can understand your up keep, myself I do always preach on preventative maintenance vs fixing issues. Your track record is impeccable, I would be worried about replacing parts so often if I ever got a out of spec part.

Do you have any ritual when it comes to inspecting your new springs and parts. I believe you that you haven't had any issues... but I am a firm believer in anything mechanical will fail at one point.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:22 PM   #15
AZAK

Quote:
but I am a firm believer in anything mechanical will fail at one point
Yup, I agree. And I recently started a thread about some Wilson Combat magazines failing to feed my Colt Delta Elite after being left loaded for two years.

I have never yet received a spring from IMSI, Wolff, Colt, or Tripp (in no particular order and back in the day Kings) that didn't work as advertised straight out of the package.
Quote:
Do you have any ritual when it comes to inspecting your new springs and parts.
It is a dirty job, but somebody has to do it... I go to the range!!! What is that old saying... The proof is in the shooting...

Now, go figure...
Old January 28, 2013, 11:37 PM   #16
SHAMUSPI

Quoting Aguila Blanca: "I think you mean Rock Island Arsenal. Made in the Philippines on state-of-the-art CNC machines, reasonably priced, and they have many thousands (at least tens of thousands, and probably hundreds of thousands) of people who trust them for everyday carry ... every day."

Odd... Everything I have read about this pistol is that their heat treatment is inadequate leading to high parts breakage.

If the OP's choice is a one only, constant carry, I suggest looking at S&W's Performance Center's new 1911s. The gun hacks all seem to express the same thought that at an MSRP of $1539 (actual selling price will probably be in the $13 hundreds range), they are WAY underpriced. One even stated that a price well over $2g would be reasonable.

Last edited by SHAMUSPI; January 29, 2013 at 01:12 AM.
Old January 28, 2013, 11:41 PM   #17
shootniron

Quote:
SHAMUSPI

Odd... Everything I have read about this pistol is that their heat treatment is inadequate leading to high parts breakage.
Odd...we have some that have had the **** shot out of them and they have never bobbled.
Old January 29, 2013, 12:06 AM   #18
michael t

Quote:
Everything I have read about this pistol is that their heat treatment is inadequate leading to high parts breakage.
Thats first Ive heard that. Every one I know that own one love it and they have a good rep on every board I go to.

Maybe you were think about a Llama
Old January 29, 2013, 01:16 AM   #19
SHAMUSPI

Could be. I am fairly certain, though, it was a Philippines manufacture.
Old January 29, 2013, 01:45 AM   #20
blackamos

Two Rock Island's zero problems. I have never had to use the warranty but hear they are top notch. One has over 1k through it the other just a few hundred. Great guns for the money.
Old January 29, 2013, 08:53 AM   #21
shrewd

all good info guys, keep the thread going!

Pics are always a plus!

How do you carry your 1911?
Old January 29, 2013, 09:59 AM   #22
Tactical Jackalope

All I can say...is keep your 1911's away from any Bubba. The majority of issues on 1911's are from Bubba the "gunsmith" working on it for you to "make er' run good".

It's true, you do get what you pay for.

That said though..My SIG 1911 xo was about $800+ and was flawless for the first 750+ rounds.

The Gold Cup too...but it doesn't like hollow points.

My old Mil-Spec was custom Bubba'ed from when I started out. Sold her off now along with a problematic Glock 19 4th gen for a 3rd gen Glock 30sf.

As for where I carry my 1911's when I used to carry 1911's?

IWB @ 4:00

I stopped cause my muscle memory is tuned to no external safety under stress. I don't have the time or the money now to change that to 1911.
Old January 29, 2013, 10:15 AM   #23
Chard

Best bang for bucks, high quality parts and function. Can you say Dan Wesson? If you find one that is used and not abused, you really found a bargain.
Old January 29, 2013, 11:36 AM   #24
allaroundhunter

Quote:
Rock River Arms dropped out of the 1911 market several years ago, and their pistols ran about $3,000 when they were making them

I think you mean Rock Island Arsenal. Made in the Philippines on state-of-the-art CNC machines, reasonably priced, and they have many thousands (at least tens of thousands, and probably hundreds of thousands) of people who trust them for everyday carry ... every day.
Whoops.... I had ARs on my mind

Yes, I meant Rock Island