The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 15, 2006, 04:57 PM   #1
keita

Southern Nevada Varmint Hunting

Does anyone know of any spots to varmint hunt in the Las Vegas area? Thanks.
Old December 15, 2006, 06:36 PM   #2
Fat White Boy

Head north from Las Vegas on highway 15 to HWY 93. Go north. Take any dirt road either east or west off 93 into the hills. Make sure you go past the Moapa indian reservation and check with the rangers if you go into the Pahranagat wildlife refuge on the East side of the highway....Lots of Coyotes back in the Sagebrush...If you go up far enough, you will come to Gap Mountain on the west side of the highway, about 100 miles but a good spot.

Last edited by Fat White Boy; December 15, 2006 at 08:17 PM.
Old December 15, 2006, 06:46 PM   #3
keita

Good stuff, thanks.

Anything else besides from Coyotes?? Jackrabitts, ground squirrels??
Old December 15, 2006, 07:04 PM   #4
Fat White Boy

Coyotes, Wascawy Wabbits. Don't shoot my Chukars!!!! Wild Horses, optional.
Old December 16, 2006, 09:38 AM   #5
roy reali

Re:keita

Are you new to Nevada?

May I suggest that you pick up some BLM maps of this state. You will find endless acres of public land. I am new to this state. I just look at a map and head off in a given direction. You will find that Nevada has more game then you think.
Old December 17, 2006, 04:28 PM   #6
keita

Where do you get a BLM map?? I'm not new to the state, but new to hunting in Nevada. I have a hunter's handbook and there are some maps in there, but large and vague...
Old December 17, 2006, 04:55 PM   #7
rem33

Vegas should have a BLM office, look in the phone book under government.
Great Maps, I have hunted BLM or state land areas people have unlawfully posted. Keep it with you when out hunting it can help you to know where your at, and/or answering questions to anyone questioning you. I have literally pulled out a map to show someone trying to tell me not to hunt that I was in a legal area.
BLM maps will show what land is BLM, state, Natl. Forest, or private. Check your state regulations it may be legal to shoot on private land not posted also.
Old December 17, 2006, 09:21 PM   #8
roy reali

Re:keita

You can also order BLM maps on line. Just "Google" search BLM. There website is pretty user friendly.

Nevada is eighty five percent Federal land. Some of that belongs to Indians and some to the Military. The vast majority of it is BLM. Having a map is must to keep yourself out of trouble as far as being on the wrong side of the fence.

You will enjoy the Silver State.
Old December 18, 2006, 12:45 AM   #9
Fat White Boy

I think we need to put an end to this thread before the secret of Nevada is exposed....
Old December 18, 2006, 12:00 PM   #10
roy reali

The Negative Side

Many areas of Nevada are contaminated by radiation. So you do not need any special lighting for night hunting.
Old December 18, 2006, 03:51 PM   #11
Scorch

Nevada has lots of good hunting, but be sure you are ready for the conditions you will encounter. It can be very hot, very cold, dry and dusty, snowy, etc. But the shooting is well worth it! I remember days shooting jackrabbits where we would shoot a brick of 22s each in about 4-5 hours! I remember shooting coyotes at daybreak on snowy mornings, sometimes 4 or 5 dogs per day. I remember shooting chucks at 7,000' right below snow level and then going and soaking in a hot spring. Many, many good times in Nevada!
Old December 18, 2006, 10:26 PM   #12
Fat White Boy

Skorch!!!! Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!
Old December 18, 2006, 10:45 PM   #13
roy reali

Re:scorch

Washington State is also a great state for hunters.
Old December 27, 2006, 07:14 PM   #14
roy reali

Blm Office Visit

Today I went into the BLM field office in Carson City. They were helpful and friendly. On their wall they have a large map of Nevada. This map is color coded to indicate the jurisdiction of the lands. Wow! The maps indicates that this state is pretty much open to explore and hunt.

The lady behind the counter also offered a neat bit of Nevada trivia. When Nevada was granted statehood, the Federal government offered the land to the state. The state thought it was worthless and told the Fed's to keep it. Hence, we have all this public land.
Old March 18, 2009, 06:12 PM   #15
MattLV

Vegas Varmint Hunting

Quote:
Head north from Las Vegas on highway 15 to HWY 93. Go north. Take any dirt road either east or west off 93 into the hills. Make sure you go past the Moapa indian reservation and check with the rangers if you go into the Pahranagat wildlife refuge on the East side of the highway....Lots of Coyotes back in the Sagebrush...If you go up far enough, you will come to Gap Mountain on the west side of the highway, about 100 miles but a good spot.
I also picked up some of those maps from the BLM the other day. Gonna head to the above spot and see what I can find.
Old April 23, 2011, 06:16 PM   #16
bkcrown

Varmints near Las Vegas

So how was the coyote hunting up the 93 past Moapa? Is Arrow Canyon legal and productive for coyote hunting?
Old January 7, 2012, 10:45 PM   #17
darrellcalkjr

Save your gas

I just blew half a tank of gas going up 93 past Moapa to Coyote Springs. After you get past the no shooting area surrounding Las Vegas; all the dirt roads up there now have new fences blocking them on the west side of the highway and everything on the east side is posted Private Property, No Trespassing.
The messed up part was there are big state issued signs that say "Your Public Lands" in big, bold, print and 50 feet to their right are the Private Property signs... WTH?!?!
Old January 9, 2012, 11:07 AM   #18
FTG-05

Just drive past these guys, they won't mind if you shoot back there behind the sign.

Good luck!