The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 24, 2008, 02:22 PM   #1
nottelybill

grinding a recoil pad

I have a 20 year old Remington Model 7 and I can't find a recoil pad like limb saver that fits my gun. If I get a pad and grind it to fit will it be a hard job. Or does anyone have a suggestion. The measurements are 5.125 x 1.625 as close as I can measure from a outline I drew.
Old November 24, 2008, 02:45 PM   #2
smokem

grinding recoil pad.

Hi
Here's how I do it.
First, get a pad that is oversized and fits the buttstock. Screw it in place.
Wrap about 6 layers of ductape around the stock with edge of tape meeting edge of recoil pad. Get your drill, with stick-on sanding paper and pad , 60 and 100 grit, and SLOWLY, using 60 grit, try to sand pad away paralle to stock, so you don't dig into duct tape. When you are about there, switch to 100 grit and finish. If pad is 30 thousandth (match book thickness bigger, dont worry about it. Carefull hand sanding later can take this away.
IMPORTANT: Remember the toe of stock and pad angle must match. Toe is bottom of buttstock. When you are sanding , KEEP this angle in mind!
Smokem
Old November 24, 2008, 03:11 PM   #3
Scorch

For most people, I recommend finding a gunsmith and letting the smith do it. It will result in a better job and much les frustration.
Old November 25, 2008, 12:38 AM   #4
James K
Member In Memoriam

If you have access to a good stand-alone belt sander that is the best tool. You can concentrate on working with the stock and don't have to worry about controlling the tool. A sanding drum on a drill will work, if care is taken. I think the sanding disc is not a good choice, though, and harder to control. (If using a belt sander, make sure you have a good cloth belt, and keep the tension right. You can't have the belt curling up at the edges because it will then dig into the stock where you don't want it.)

Smokem has the right idea, but I think you will find masking tape easier to work with than duct tape, plus it comes off easier and leaves less residue. You can dig into the masking tape as long as you don't dig THROUGH it.

Just make sure to extend the lines of the stock in the pad. Nothing screams "amateur bubba" like a recoil pad with the bottom cut parallel to the bore.

Jim
Old November 25, 2008, 08:24 AM   #5
kraigwy

Pad grinding jigs work well. I've done dozzens and seldom have I had to touch up the pad after putting it on the rife.

Follow the directions and you can fit it before its put on the stock. that way you never have to worry about maring the stock.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old November 25, 2008, 09:49 PM   #6
LHB1

BE SURE to maintain the lines of stock while grinding the pad to fit! I wrap plastic electricians tape around stock to help avoid grinding into the wood. Do final shaping with a large file rather than power grinder. GO SLOW, BE CAREFUL!