The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 29, 2009, 10:20 AM   #201
Gunforall

OMG these pics have to be from heaven. I am blown away by the dedication all have put into these benches. There is NO-WAY im putting mine on here till i do a little carpentry lol.
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old July 30, 2009, 11:02 PM   #202
gschwertley

I've read through these many posts showing people's reloading outfits; all very interesting. One of my favorites is the guy in Sweden who is set up in the attic of his building. His bench is right under the roof. I can picture him sitting there reloading while the rain is pelting down on the roof.

Since I've looked at everyone else's, I may as well open up as well. Of the others, I've admired some, laughed at some, and so on, so now you guys can laugh at mine.

I mostly reload in the garage, although I have a bench set up in our rec room adjacent to the garage. I prefer to reload standing, and that's how my garage set-up is arranged. The bench in the rec room is for reloading sitting down and I rarely use it.

My garage space is used for more than reloading. I do automotive work in there occasionally, but I have a separate bench for the dirty stuff, like working on generators, starters, alternators, setting up differentials, etc. Carburetor work is different; needs a very clean area. So, I have the "dirty bench" and the "clean bench". The latter is mostly used for reloading but I do other things there like soldering, electrical work, tinkering, and of course the occasional carb. work. I know it says in the reloading manuals that you should use an area that is dedicated to reloading only, so I guess I'm in violation of the rule. I do have my stuff functionally organized in batches, but not all together. As a rule, it is located as to size, shape, and volume of the items.

Parked right behind my reloading bench is a 1966 Ford Fairlane ex-cop car, which has a very flat hood. It makes a very nice shelf for auxiliary work; for example, I have my rifle vise on it for cleaning. I put stuff there temporarily for projects that I'm working on. The leading edge of the hood also serves as a butt-rest while I'm reloading.

I don't store any powder or primers in the garage, and only a small quantity of ammo. That stuff I store in three cabinets in the rec. room adjacent. The garage isn't heated during the winter, but it's located under a heated part of the house and is well insulated and pretty well sealed when the doors are closed. The coldest I've ever seen it in there is 42 degrees F. Because as a room it isn't tied into the house heating system (electric or wood stove), naturally it gets more humid in there than the house. It never gets wet in there, but I have a dehumidifier I can use if I want to. Actually, this hot time of the year is when the humidity is highest.

Pictures:

Wall of garage with reloading supplies and equipment on shelves. My two little brother cats Jimmy and Jaspurr follow me around everywhere, including into the garage. They are the same gray color as rats, and are very difficult to see in subdued light.

My clean work bench where I do most of my reloading.

This is a closer view of the bench. I've included this to show how I mount my powder measure. I have it mounted on a piece of 5/8 inch plywood, which I then clamp to the bench. This makes it easy to take it off when not in use, and also easier to dump the powder back out of it. I also have done the same with my Hornady case trimmer. More or less permanently mounted to the bench are an RCBS Rock Chucker II press, a Lyman 450 bullet sizer/luber with a heater, and a Lee Zip-Trim case trimmer. I also have a bench vise mounted on the far end.

I've got a Lyman Turbo tumbler sitting on the floor. I don't tumble now as much as I used to. Mostly, I use Birchwood-Casey chemical case cleaner and water. Once in a while, I might tumble a batch of pistol cases that I've sized with steel dies.

I keep an ample supply of cottage cheese containers on hand, as these are useful for sorting and storing.

I have a nearly unused Lee Classic Cast press mounted on the low bench in the rec room. The fact that I don't use it much is to say nothing against the press; I just don't like to load sitting in there very much. The fact that all my other stuff is in the garage doesn't help me change the pattern either.

My bullet casting stuff is stored in the garage with my reloading gear, but I don't do any casting indoors. For that, I use an old picnic table outside back of the rec room. I mostly limit my casting chores to "good weather" periods and just stock up for when I cannot cast.

I looks like a disorganized dump, but I know where everything is and I haven't blown myself up yet in 30 years of metallic handloading.
Old July 31, 2009, 01:25 PM   #203
WhistlerSWE

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschwertley
One of my favorites is the guy in Sweden who is set up in the attic of his building. His bench is right under the roof. I can picture him sitting there reloading while the rain is pelting down on the roof.
Thanks, mate! I can tell you that reloading during rain is more soothing than yoga! Right now the sky is open and I'm planning to spend the evening up there.

I showed the pictures of the benches with rail modules to some friends at the gun club and they were blown away (no pun intended). I wonder how many will try to copy it!
Old July 31, 2009, 08:20 PM   #204
Randy 1911

Here's mine. Not facny, but does what I need. It's in a extra bedroom.

Old August 1, 2009, 11:15 PM   #205
KB8UBL

"My CLEAN bench!"

gschwertley,

I enjoyed your contribution to this thread thoroughly, pictures and the description of them. It looks like home to me. The sort of place that lets the world go by, while you're in it. My last home (in Michigan) had a very large garage with a bench from one end to the other. Most of the bench was utilized for messy stuff like fixing mowers, weed-eaters, my wife's flower potting and my daughter's sidewalk chalk and watercolors. But, at the far end was a six foot section I made from an old church bench that was designated as "clean projects only!" So I understand your "bench" terminology. However, when you stated that "this is my clean bench" above the photograph of a bench so cluttered that it's hard to tell what color the top is, I laughed my self to tears. You have made my evening. Please, no offense was meant, I hope to hear from you soon. Thank you for sharing your little piece of heaven. Good evening.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:36 PM   #206
cgaengineer

Well here is my setup...I cleaned up a little bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC_5139.JPG (112.6 KB, 1186 views)
File Type: jpg DSC_5140.JPG (133.4 KB, 783 views)
Old August 3, 2009, 08:22 AM   #207
BADZ06

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgaengineer
Well here is my setup...I cleaned up a little bit.
Very nice.
Old September 29, 2009, 12:31 AM   #208
Bushmaster223

Reloading bench

Here's my man cave.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0412091812.jpg (142.8 KB, 1049 views)
File Type: jpg 0412091812a.jpg (132.4 KB, 735 views)
File Type: jpg 0412091812b.jpg (118.3 KB, 710 views)
Old September 29, 2009, 12:51 AM   #209
rjrivero

Humble Beginnings......

This is the bench I've been loading on for almost 20 years. I won't show you my "shelf" system that is just plain embarassing.

Old September 29, 2009, 07:31 AM   #210
Sevens

Quote:
I won't show you my "shelf" system that is just plain embarassing.
Nonsense! I love the shelf and stock pictures above all others. I love to see racks and racks of powder and component bullets. I love to see huge bins of brass.

Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

And if it should happen to be something you aren't proud of, nonsense to that too. Use a picture as your motivator to improve it. And if you still can't be proud of it, just think of all the schmucks who have to swing by a gun store or stand in line at Wal-Mart on their way to the range to buy their overpriced and under-performing ammo before they can go shooting... do that and you'll be proud of whatever your reloading setup looks like.

I still haven't taken pics of my cave yet. I only hope that when I do, I can keep the number of pics and my descriptions of them to a dull roar. It's nothing special in comparison of what I've seen here, but it's one of my favorite places in the world, so I'm passionate about it.
Old September 30, 2009, 02:14 AM   #211
spleify

Awesome stuff guys!!
Old September 30, 2009, 03:16 PM   #212
Foxbat

Here is the result of the latest upgrade... got rid of some Lee presses, and installed the new Dillon 1050 in addition to the other stuff. Cleaned the bench before taking pictures, normally it is normal working mess!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench10.jpg (240.1 KB, 1191 views)
File Type: jpg bench11.jpg (206.9 KB, 911 views)
File Type: jpg bench12.jpg (238.4 KB, 784 views)
Old September 30, 2009, 03:53 PM   #213
Farmland

Well you certainly have got the caliber change issue down to a zero time factor.
Old September 30, 2009, 04:07 PM   #214
Foxbat

A couple more...

Since I shoot a lot, I keep the FIFO system for cases, assuring all brass gets equal amount of use. So the bins move from the cleaning station, to the bottom of the bin rack, then to the top, one position at a time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bench3.jpg (236.2 KB, 1112 views)
File Type: jpg tumbler.jpg (198.5 KB, 807 views)
Old September 30, 2009, 05:54 PM   #215
gtullar

bruceflinch

Hey Bruce,

How about reposting your photos but set your camera for a larger format. Looks like a great setup but the photos are so small I can't enjoy your pride-and-joy.

Thanks,

kb8ubl
Old September 30, 2009, 06:11 PM   #216
Farmland

Fox what or how did you make your bullet tray holders? I see you are not using the strong mounts.
Old September 30, 2009, 06:20 PM   #217
Foxbat

I don't use the strong mount because I like loading sitting down, and with the press bolted to the bench that gives me perfect height.

I use the bracket that comes with the tray, just mount it differently. I put one screw into the edge of the bench, and below I make a simple L-shaped bracket (actually, a bit more than 90 degrees), and use it for additional support.

I have to tell you - I HATE the way Dillon places its trays. I like mine right next to the turret, so my hand would not need to go far for the bullet. You can see the soft cushion I put at the forward edge of the tray, I rest my hand on it, so pretty much just my fingers move back and forth.

Last picture shows the convenient location of the tray.

Another worthy addition I put under my presses - a rod connecting them to the floor, it gives it that extra degree of stability that is extremely welcome.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bracket1.jpg (184.3 KB, 982 views)
File Type: jpg bracket2.jpg (190.6 KB, 750 views)
File Type: jpg bracket3.jpg (162.4 KB, 670 views)
Old September 30, 2009, 06:22 PM   #218
jrs212

Here's mine. In my living room. I made it out of odds and ends. Not fancy but serves my needs.

Old September 30, 2009, 06:28 PM   #219
Farmland

Cool I didn't know if it would be that easy to set it up differently. I don't use the strong mounts either. So they do come with a bracket and with a little know how I should be able to fix something similar.
Thanks for sharing your set up.
Old September 30, 2009, 07:40 PM   #220
Rembrandt

Appears there are many more people out there that don't use the Dillon strong mount for one reason or another. Unfortunately Dillon's mounting base and compound linkage geometry makes bolting directly to the bench top awkward. I've seen a few that have notched out their bench in order to make it work.

Low ceiling hieght prohibited me from using the strong mount, made it work by cantilevering the loader over the front of the bench.

Foxbat, I agree with you on having the bullet tray close to the shell plate area. Went with a removable tray/box attached with an aluminum plate on the back side of the loader.

Last edited by Rembrandt; September 30, 2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:07 PM   #221
Foxbat

Indeed, Dillon is a strange beast, full of issues, while being basically great.

One issue you touched upon is interferences between the handle and the bench. In my case I was able to work around them by making one extra part - special bushing for the handle, eliminating the extra protrusion on the bottom. That protrusion tends to hit the nut on the mounting screw, and there is no other way around it. Such interferences are unfortunate in the product of that caliber.

Another issue - a not consumed primer slides down the chute and often falls on the floor. A simple addition of a piece of plastic tube takes care of that. In this case - a tube used to package the IC's worked great (second picture)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC01065r.jpg (230.0 KB, 933 views)
File Type: jpg DSC01066r.jpg (206.6 KB, 679 views)
Old September 30, 2009, 08:14 PM   #222
Farmland

Well I don't have any photo's to show however I designed my table with the correct over hang so I have no mounting issues.

The spent primer issue was very simple fix. I folded a business card in half and stuck it between the primer cup and the place it attaches to the holder. It puts some extra tension on the cup keeping it in place better. The result is in over 18 years no primers on the floor.

I have not had any issues with non spent primers filling up the shut or falling on the floor, though for some reason I can find more than one way to break that little thing. I am on my fourth replacement.
Old September 30, 2009, 08:32 PM   #223
miker84

you guys are killin me. I need someone to help me finish hanging drywall in the room in my garage so I can get my area setup.
Old September 30, 2009, 09:32 PM   #224
cek

Or, if you are not a master metal craftsman or don't have your own personal CNC machine (holy cow!) but have access to a block of wood and a clamp:

Nice thing about this is that I can easily put it out of the way by un-clamping it from the bench and re-clamping it to a shelf above the bench.
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old October 1, 2009, 09:31 AM   #225
KB8UBL

Dillon 650

Lots of inovative modifications to the Dillon press, I've not experienced any of them. The unused primer shoot sometimes holds a dozen primers without one on the floor. I secured my bench to the wall of my garage so it moves very little, maybe that's causing them to spill out.

I use the strong mount without the handle issues noted and I could have mounted it closer to the edge of the bench. Glad to have the tips for the future.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Man Cave (no girls allowed) 008.jpg (261.4 KB, 798 views)