The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 21, 2015, 04:27 PM   #1
therifler

Safe alternative to action cleaner?

For starters i am new to this site and just kinda looking for sime advice in my post.

Well as it goes I am not newbie when it comes to firearms, have own and used them since i could comprehend the way they work. But as for cleaning and taking care of them I have only been doing for the last couple years. So i have been to every walmart, outdoors store and gun shop looking for action cleaner. With no luck on obtaining any, I am wondering if there is a alternative. Im kinda skeptical about using stuff that just plainly states gun cleaner. So i was wondering if i could use bore cleaner, such as remington brite bore or if there is products that are safe for cleaner the whole gun. That WORKS thank you and any advice is gladly appreciated
Old February 21, 2015, 04:56 PM   #2
tangolima

Remington sells its own action cleaner for cleaning its 700 trigger. It is nothing but a degreaser. You don't want to use it on any other part of the rifle.

Other than that, I use breakfree. Now I am not saying it is the best and everybody should use it. It is just what I like to use.

-TL
Old February 21, 2015, 05:04 PM   #3
wogpotter

Many use spray brake cleaner from the auto parts store. Test on finish though.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 21, 2015, 05:18 PM   #4
Doyle

Quote:
Many use spray brake cleaner from the auto parts store. Test on finish though.
+1 on the brake cleaner - just remove all plastic and wood and clean metal only with it. After using brake cleaner, you must replace the layer of petroleum protectant that it removes from the metal or it WILL rust. I just give it a light shot of CLP and hit it with an air hose to knock of the excess.
Old February 21, 2015, 05:19 PM   #5
Snyper

Carb cleaners tend to be a little less harsh than some brake cleaners.

With ANY spray solvents you have to be very careful not to get it on the wood or plastic parts and immediately re-oil the metal.

Actions can also be cleaned by soaking in diesel fuel or kerosene, then blowing them out with air
Old February 21, 2015, 05:41 PM   #6
Doyle

Quote:
Carb cleaners tend to be a little less harsh than some brake cleaners.
I don't know about harsher but brake cleaner is definately much safer to use than carb cleaner. Carb cleaner will mess you up good if you get a really strong whif of it.
Old February 21, 2015, 05:48 PM   #7
FITASC

^^^^^ Exactly, carb cleaner has some nasty ingredients; when using brake cleaner make sure you are wearing safety glasses or similar - any splash back into your eyes can mean serious trouble.
Old February 21, 2015, 05:57 PM   #8
therifler

Thank you all for your advice i will be trying these ideas. I guess ill go ahead and ask another question and thats how do you remove and prevent surface rust safely? I caught a great deal on a crickett .22 for my daughter at a pawn shop for $70. it has a little bit of rust down the bore and on top of the barrel.

By the way i have action cleaner on order from remington for two months. Just trying to clean them in the mean time
Old February 21, 2015, 06:08 PM   #9
Doyle

For the outside, 0000 steel wool and a little oil. For the bore, just shoot it.
Old February 22, 2015, 07:28 AM   #10
SauerGrapes

There is an alternative. Being a carpenter I use a battery powered trim gun made by Paslode. They sell a spray cleaner for their guns. You'll find it anywhere tools are sold.
Does the same thing as break cleaner, but wont harm plastic. I use it to clean the action on my polymer pistols.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old February 22, 2015, 12:04 PM   #11
campingnights

You might want to look into Fireclean. I gave away all my CLP cleaners and oils to use it exclusively. Cleans, lubricates, doesn't gum up the works and nontoxic too. I changed to it once I actually read the caution labels on the other stuff and what absorbing it through your skin/breathing it can do. Guess it says something in that it took me 40+ years to read the warning labels on my old gun cleaners.

http://www.cleanergun.com/

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old February 22, 2015, 02:36 PM   #12
wogpotter

I think the OP is looking for "action cleaner' specifically, things like "gun scrubber" come to mind, not "bore solvents" like Hoppes & so on?

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old February 23, 2015, 05:31 AM   #13
Taco-XL

I think the action cleaners and scrubbers are just relabled brake cleaner. Probably non chlorinated. You shouldnt have to use the brake cleaner except if its very very dirty and caked with gunk thats been in there for years. Hoppes will clean 99% of situations. I used brake cleaner (on metal only) to clean my
milsurps when i first bought them. After that it is not needed for routine cleaning. I also got some Powder Blast on the rubber grip of my S&W 60 and it melted it, so be careful.
Old February 23, 2015, 08:37 AM   #14
Doyle

Quote:
I think the action cleaners and scrubbers are just relabled brake cleaner.
That is exactly what the original Gun Scrubber was. Their replacement is something different because the original ate plastic grips and parts.