The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 11, 2015, 02:57 PM   #26
UncleEd

Wish Captains1911 had immediately stated he wasn't looking at Rugers yet so many posters have recommended them. This thread now reads exactly like the one over on The Highroad forum in which people tout the Ruger and then are told
three quarters way down the thread by Captains1911 to forget it.
Old February 11, 2015, 03:07 PM   #27
Captains1911

I never wrote here or on THR that Rugers were out of the picture, so I don't know where you are getting that from. I own more Rugers than any other single make of gun, and I always consider them. The only problem is in this case they break the budget (which I clearly provided in the OP). I am still considering them.
Old February 11, 2015, 03:59 PM   #28
campingnights

Quote:
"I suggest you avoid the 357 Cimarron Frontier. Mine is a very pretty gun, but constant jamming makes it pretty much a wallhanger."

LAZ: Could you describe what kind of "jamming" you are getting with a single action revolver?

The fired cartriges hang on the recoil shield at the rear of the gun, or at the loading gate pivot. This jams the cylinder rotation and the base pin has to be removed, along with the cylinder itself, to clear the gun. Very frustrating. I have smoothed out and "deburred" both the recoil shield and the loading gate pivot with limited success. Sometimes the fired primer jams, sometimes the cartrige head jams around the loading gate pivot. I think it is a headspace problem of some sort. I would not wish this upon another, hense the warning

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old February 11, 2015, 07:16 PM   #29
Hunter Customs

Quote:
Sometimes the fired primer jams, sometimes the cartrige head jams around the loading gate pivot. I think it is a headspace problem of some sort. I would not wish this upon another, hense the warning
The cartridges headspace off the rim of the case, does this happen with one specific manufactures ammo or with all manufactures ammo you have tried?

Does it happen with unfired ammo or fired ammo?

Did you purchase the gun new and have this problem right front start?

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 11, 2015, 09:22 PM   #30
campingnights

Don't want to hijack this thread, but a bit more elaboration seems in order. It only jams on fired casings, otherwise I couldn't load it. The cylindar spins free until the cartridges are fired. The problem was from the getgo, the gun was new. I see no point to returning it as the cost would likely be prohibitive. I am sure Cimarron would weasel out of warrenty repair since I tried to deburr the recoil shield and loading gate. I'm stuck with it and just want to save someone else from grief.

My wife told me that I can't have too many guns, I agreed and told her I can never have too many guns...and then the trouble began
Old February 11, 2015, 11:12 PM   #31
GeauxTide

If you're a reloader

5.5" Ruger Blackhawk in 45 Colt. Very close to your budget.
Old February 12, 2015, 12:50 AM   #32
Buzzcook

I've used an Italian clone since the early 80's it still works fine.

It has the 7 1/2" barrel and black rubber grips just like the original SAA. The gun has no problem shooting a 250gr rn at 900fps and it shoots better than I do by a quite a bit.
Old February 12, 2015, 03:09 AM   #33
Cousin Pat

choosing SA revolver

You'll have to decide barrel length - the original Colt was 7.5" -- good long sighting plane but long (and maybe unbalanced) - best in cross-draw or a dropped (below waist line) holster. 5.5" and 4.75" or the two other common lengths. Colts are very nice guns with traditional action that requires you to carry it with 1 cylinder empty. The Rugers have a transfer-bar mechanism that allows the gun to be carried with all 6 cylinders loaded. New or used, I'd start with a Ruger and pay for the Blackhawk (vs. Vaquero) to get the adjustable sights so you can zero on whatever ammo you like to use. As to caliber, 45C is traditional but 38Special is a lot cheaper.
Old February 12, 2015, 06:39 PM   #34
Captains1911

Quote:
As to caliber, 45C is traditional but 38Special is a lot cheaper
This is the decision I'm now struggling with for those exact reasons.
Old February 12, 2015, 07:43 PM   #35
Snyper

Quote:
It only jams on fired casings, otherwise I couldn't load it
Are you shooting extremely light loads?
Old February 12, 2015, 08:03 PM   #36
Cheapshooter

Reiterating by quotations from the OP.

Quote:
I do not plan on shooting cowboy action or putting tons of rounds through it, but rather just to round out my collection, and potentially use for demonstration purposes for future basic classes I may be instructing
Quote:
what are some decent ones I should be looking at in the $500 or so price range
The Uberti Colt SAA copies certainly look like they fit the requirements.
The adjustable sights, and other refinements, as well as the overbuilt construction of the Ruger aren't necessarily needed. While a Blackhawk, or Vaqero would not be a bad choice, and definitely the best choice for a hunting SA, something from Uberti would be easier on the budget.
As far as the transfer bar safety, I have an old model Super Blackhawk that I have carried deer hunting on and off for 40 years. I have never seen need to take Ruger up on their offer to modify it for free. I just load 5 rounds, and keep the hammer down on an empty chamber. If I shoot around or two, I reload to 5, and repeat the process. I don't even load six rounds at the range very often. I am usually shooting for five round groups anyway.
For the caliber, the 38/357 would be more versatile, but making those big 45 caliber holes in stuff is just more fun. However, if the OP doesn't reload, it is more costly.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old February 12, 2015, 09:45 PM   #37
Captains1911

I just purchased a Uberti Cattleman Steel, 5.5" Barrel, 45 Colt. I found it online for $439 new with free shipping. I think it should fit the bill. I decided on 45 Colt for the traditional aspect and the fact that I probably won't shoot it very much. Hopefully I will have it next week. Thanks for the all the help.
Old February 12, 2015, 11:31 PM   #38
Microgunner

Good choice.
Old February 13, 2015, 08:47 AM   #39
Hunter Customs

If your Uberti is like mine you should be very pleased with your choice.
Both of mine are in 45 Colt caliber, the only problem I have with mine is I don't like to quit shooting them.

It's a good thing I can handload for them.
Besides casting some of my own bullets I purchase some bullets, 4000 at a time.

Enjoy your Uberti revolver, I sure have mine.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
Old February 13, 2015, 09:03 AM   #40
rodfac

I'd vote for a Ruger Blackhawk for its adj. sights and great value/accuracy/strength. As to price, hell, if you can afford $500, you can afford $550 and get a lot better gun out of the deal plus there's always the used market.

I own several Vaqueros, new and old, but unless they shoot to point of aim, they are a RPITA to adjust. The Blackhawk's adj. sights make all the difference. All of my Vaqueros have been "off" in windage to some extent or other, and fixing that problem is tough. Elevation is not a problem if you have a file and some cold blue, however.

I once broke the front sight off a baby Vaquero in .32 H&R trying to bend the front sight in the required direction. I managed to silver solder it back on and in the desired direction, but a better plan was to send the gun back to Ruger or to a known, good gunsmith to get the barrel turned for sight alignment.

I've also widened the notch on a New Vaquero in.45 LC to allow more light around the front sight blade and also to correct a 2" left point of impact. It worked out to perfection, but 2" is about the absolute max for my hold and the width of the rear strap vs. sight blade light issue.

As to multiple cylinder Rugers (45 ACP and LC; .357 Magnum & 9mm), they have a spotty reputation, especially the 357/9mm, for lousy accuracy with the 9mm cylinder. The .45 is less so, but you still have to deal with point of impact variations. For me, there is a 3" difference at 25 yds between a .45 ACP and .45 LC cylinder. Luckily, they both shot to the same windage.

As to availability and expense; locally since the latest panic buying spree, .357/.38 Spl has been a lot easier to find than .45 Colt/45 ACP; and somewhat cheaper if memory serves.

HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.

Last edited by rodfac; February 13, 2015 at 09:15 AM.
Old February 18, 2015, 03:20 AM   #41
Darto

I have one of these (EAA Bounty Hunter):

https://www.google.com/search?q=imag...w=1600&bih=813

It is made by Weihrauch the famous premium air rifle makers in Bavaria, Germany. Bigger than the Colts, big like a Ruger Blackhawk, but better fit, finish, and timing than my Ruger Blackhawk.

And they are cheaper than Rugers too.

A well kept secret, apparently!
Old February 18, 2015, 05:31 AM   #42
Pilot

I have a USFA Rodeo in .45 Colt I bought over ten years ago that is an excellent SAA, and I shoot it often. That being said, I still want a Colt.
Old February 18, 2015, 09:04 AM   #43
steelbird

I have a Chisolm ( all steel version of the Cattleman, with checkered grips ) that I got for about $300 at Bass Pro Orlando about 3 ( I think ) years ago ( tail end of a sale, last one in stock ). I prefer it over the Ruger because it's closer to what the original SAA was like. The Ruger is an excellent gun, yes, but I think it's a bit over-engineered. What hasn't been mentioned here is that the Uberti is simple to take down and clean up. This is something important to me, as I shoot BP .45 Colt cartridge out of it. But it's a well made piece - when I take it down, there's very little residue that collects in the gun's lockwork. Go have some fun with it - On a nice day at the range ( outdoor ), when I'm smoking it, I can often be seen with a smile and giggling as the smoke is swirling around. I LOVE THE SMELL OF BLACK POWDER IN THE MORNING. Smells likeā€¦..HISTORY!
Old February 18, 2015, 10:38 AM   #44
campingnights

I think you will be very happy with the Cattleman. The Ruger is a fine gun, but just isn't as appealing, looks wise, as the Colt copies. At least in my eyes.

Old February 18, 2015, 08:37 PM   #45
Captains1911

I picked the Uberti up today, and am happy with it. It seems to be built pretty well and certainly is attractive.