The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 3, 2012, 07:21 PM   #1
SWglockmagnum

Going to CANADA

Hello..

Soooo.. I have a TX CHL and am planning to go to Canada around Christmas, and will be camping up in the mountains for the holidays. My fiance has family up there, they have a cabin, and we're going to fly up there.

BUT... hey.. i'm a texas boy.. I'm not used to wolves, mountain lions, bears, and bigfoot..

So, i'd really like to take my pocket gun and a few clips.

WE ARE FLYING, and... obviously leaving the country.

How do i go about this LEGALLY?

and IT IS NOT AN OPTION to mail it to myself. and even if i did, i'd worry about it getting stuck in customs and risk having post office people freaking out about the fact that there's a weapon going through the mail from an individual to myself instead of from an FFL to a. whatever Canada has...

Has anyone gone through this RECENTLY ? and can anyone provide advice?

I'm not even sure which airline i'm using yet, so i cant "call them and see what they say"

and look.. i don't really look forward to the prospect of getting a full body search in the middle of the airport, and being pulled into security to be questioned as to why i have a firearm and why i'm taking it into CANADA..

as far as i know you CAN travel with guns, but for some reason, if you have bottled water or... heaven forbid a nail file, you get deep cavity searched.

so...........

??????????

thanks

Last edited by Tom Servo; December 3, 2012 at 07:51 PM.
Old December 3, 2012, 07:37 PM   #2
egor20

Short answer, not gonna happen leagally

Firearms Allowed, Restricted and Prohibited
Approval of the Non-Resident Firearms Declaration allows only standard rifles and shotguns commonly used for hunting and target shooting to be transported into or through Canada.

Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada, but require the completion an approval of an Application for an Authorization to Transport Restricted Firearms. This Non-Resident Firearm Declaration costs $50 Canadian.

Handguns with barrels shorter than 4-inches, fully automatic, converted automatics, and assault-type weapons are "prohibited" and not allowed in Canada. In addition, certain knives, even those used for hunting and fishing, may be considered prohibited weapons by Canadian officials.

http://usgovinfo.about.com/od/rights...nstocanada.htm

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 3, 2012, 07:54 PM   #3
Tom Servo
Staff

Egor is correct. You have to get approval to temporarily import a firearm into Canada. The relevant regulations in plainspeak are here.

Even if you have a gun that meets legal muster, it would be very difficult to get approval in time for your trip.
Old December 3, 2012, 08:36 PM   #4
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWglockmagnum
So, i'd really like to take my pocket gun and a few clips.

WE ARE FLYING, and... obviously leaving the country.

How do i go about this LEGALLY?
You can't. Period.

And don't even THINK about trying to do it illegally (at least, not if you want to return home to Texas).
Old December 3, 2012, 08:42 PM   #5
egor20

I go to Canada, England and other places I can't carry a gun, do what I do, get a nice Irish Blackthorn and take some classes on how to use it.

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 3, 2012, 09:00 PM   #6
ripnbst

Yeah, I went to Canada three times in the last three months and talked with a local firearms enthusiast. The guy who posted above with the informative post is correct.

You could only take an approved firearm, but you are really pressing yourself for time and I doubt highly you will be able to do it in time.

My advice would be to borrow a firearm from her parents when you get there while you are in the woods.

Canada is another country, not the 51st state.
Old December 4, 2012, 12:19 AM   #7
hermannr

You can take a handgun into Canada if you have a PAL (Takes at least 6 months, two firearms courses and a couple hundred $$$) and you have a pistol that is not on the "prohibited" list....

However, to get a permit to carry that pistol after you have it up there? That is a totally different question...to be able to carry it concealed is an absolute "NO"
Old December 4, 2012, 01:51 AM   #8
Water-Man

Short answer... forgedaboutit.
Old December 4, 2012, 10:20 AM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
Handguns with at least 4-inch barrels are considered "restricted" firearms and are allowed in Canada...
The limit is actually 105mm or 4.13".

This may seem like I'm nitpicking, but IMHO it's very important to recognize the critical 0.13" because of the sheer number of service pistols and revolvers in circulation in the USA with barrels that measure almost exactly 4". These guns won't pass legal muster in Canada.

That said, many so-called 4" handguns sold in the USA in the past few decades have barrels that actually measure about 4.2". This is often done specifically so that the gun can be sold commercially in Canada without the need to produce a special export version. Check the gunmaker's specs closely or get out the calipers before you jump to conclusions.

Last edited by carguychris; December 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM. Reason: minor reword...
Old December 4, 2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Glenn E. Meyer

There are mountain lions and bears in TX. Stay at home.
Old December 4, 2012, 02:25 PM   #11
shortwave

Quote:
BUT... hey.. i'm a texas boy...
...and what a shock you're in for being used to Texas(or most of US) gun laws compared to Canada's. Unless, of course, you are familiar with the near Communistic gun laws here in place's like NYC.

All good advice about staying home...but if you must go, I'd forget about the handgun.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:01 AM   #12
stevelyn

Quote:
.. I'm not used to wolves, mountain lions, bears, and bigfoot..
It's winter, bears will be snoozing. You may get lucky and hear the wolves, but it's doubtful you'll get to see them. Same for mountain lions.

And Bigfoot? You'll be famous if you see one.

My advice is don't go places you don't belong.

East Moose. Wear Wolf.
Old December 5, 2012, 09:27 AM   #13
jimbob86

Quote:
My advice is don't go places you don't belong.
I don't belong in Canada, obviously.
Old December 5, 2012, 10:33 AM   #14
NJgunowner

Seems like you have your answer, you aren't taking a handgun with you to Canada. Heck, you can't bring your handgun to NJ or NYC for that matter. I have a couple of friends who live up in Canada and even they have a heck of time trying to obtain handguns, and they were born there. One of them asked if he could come to the range with me next time he comes down just to get to try a handgun. Besides, what good are clips going to do for you in a handgun anyway? Now magazines, those might work
Old December 5, 2012, 10:47 AM   #15
Patriot86

Ummm yall have bigfoot down in Texas...

http://texasbigfoot.net/

Depending on where in Texas you might even have to worry about the "Skunk Ape" which has been known to be more aggressive than the creatures sighted in the Pacific NW and Canada.

Besides time constraints, depending where in Canada we are talking about you might have to worry about what would happen if your plane is forced to land in NYC or NJ due to Weather.

Like others have said, borrow a gun from family while up in that there Canada. Easier and much less risk involved.
Old December 5, 2012, 12:50 PM   #16
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot86
Like others have said, borrow a gun from family while up in that there Canada. Easier and much less risk involved.
Which begs the questions, can Canadians legally loan a firearm to a non-citizen who will then take the firearm away from the citizen's control and is it legal for that non-citizen to be in possession of a firearm without an official Canadian blessing? I suspect the answer to both questions is NO!
Old December 5, 2012, 12:53 PM   #17
Tom Servo
Staff

I think the OP's question has been adequately answered. When we end up discussing Bigfoot, I think we're well off-topic.
Closed Thread