The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old June 19, 2006, 08:53 PM   #1
22-250boy

Coyotes in INDIANA

I live in Indiana and im an avid shooter. Im new to this forum so i thought id ask a question. Id like to shoot some yotes i havent seen them for a while. they usualy cross the field behind our house. My dad is a farmer and im 14 so we have some woods to hunt in that our land lords own. I was wondering what would be the best place to stalk or call in the critters. Ive shot some groudhogs and the occassional varmint and im a pretty good shot. Ill be using a 243 or 22-250. there both good calibers and good for yotes i hear. Im thinkin of buyin a call for them so tell me what would be the best place to set up.
Old June 20, 2006, 02:30 PM   #2
Hello123

Why not set up with you back against your property facing the field. You could set up some typical household junk as a sort of blind to shoot from. Make sure you have a safe backdrop for your shot, so your neighbor will not leak when he drinks water. I then would probably get a tape of a wounded rabbit and play it in a portable tape player some distance from where I was set up. Also, it might help to buy a decoy of some type. I would sit very quietly and avoid excess movement. Also, I would not get up to go from the blind until after dark. Good luck.
Old June 21, 2006, 11:23 AM   #3
Dean C

22-250boy,
Check this out, I think you might like it.
Have fun shootin' them song dogs.
dean

http://www.varmintal.com/ahunt.htm
Pro 2A Washington (Charter Member)
Old June 21, 2006, 01:35 PM   #4
Ben Swenson

If someone hunts deer on your land, try finding a good palce to overlook the gutpile.
Old June 23, 2006, 09:01 PM   #5
Jseime

I am by nok means an expert but i have had some success so heres some tips from someone who is older and wiser than you and i combined.

-set up in a high spot but not right at the top of a hill just a bit down.
-get the wind at your back (contrary to most types of hunting you want the sound carried in a certain direction so you dont have yotes sneaking up behind you.
-walk in very quietly and sit a few minutes before you start to call
-call for a bit then go quiet then call a bit more
-when you do get a coyote come in watch him he'll be moving his head around and circling to catch a scent when hes not looking raise your rifle
-he'll catch the scent and pause for about half a second shoot then or youll be shooting at his tail
-when you shoot one dont just go to the kill right away call a little more because you may get another that was coming in behind
-when you leave a "stand" wait a few minutes after calling just to make sure there wasnt another coming in
-if you're in a location and its not working move around coyotes are trickier than us

thats about all i can offer you aside from saying good luck and good shootin
Old June 23, 2006, 10:06 PM   #6
22-250boy

thanks

thank for all the help everybody.

good shootin to all
Old June 27, 2006, 08:57 PM   #7
youp

If you cut hay, coyotes will hunt the field after it is mowed. The mice and voles are much easier to find. It usually takes a day or two for them to figure out the field is cut. First fields cut in your area are always best. Large round bales make excellent makeshift blinds. Otherwise leave a couple of last years square bales out there to hide you.