The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 27, 2000, 01:52 PM   #1
TOMBSTONE

Please I would like an official reply from a qualified gunsmith only to this question.I have a 50 year old Husqervarna Swedish Mauser Bolt action that was in mint condition other than the bluing being worn from age.No rusting,pitting scratches etc.The original wood stock had a crack at the rear of the receiver where the rifle was seated in the back.I purchased a replacement sythetic stock from Choate which was supposed to be designed to fit my style mauser.I brought the gun to a highly recommended and "Qualified Gunsmith" for the sythetic stock to be glassbedded and fitted to my rifle.Even after talking with him, knowing I had a replacement sythetic stock,he never once said there was a problem restocking the rifle.As long as I as getting that work done I decided it would be nice to have the finish refurbished so that it looked close to the original factory finish.I was told only after bringing the rifle to the shop and then a calling a week later that a sythetic stock cannot be glassbedded because the bedding does not adhere to sythetic stocks and that he wouldn't be able to free float the barrel just throwing the rifle into the stock.Basically he did not think highly of the synthetic stock and said that it couldn't be mounted and bedded.He recommended just utilizing the original wood stock.I took his advice and many weeks passed.The rifle was finally completed and I picked up the rifle,after closer inspection of the rifle I noticed the bluing being uneven,darker in some areas and very light in other areas,some dull spots in addition to the uneven finish.In addition to top it off the rifle had numerous areas with rust on the gun and on the trigger which he had just installed "Brand New" and the bolt and on some screws and hardware had rust on them.I also noticed a spot on the barrel where there as a blued finish over a pitted area which was not pitted when the rifle was given to the smith as well as being rust free for the past fifty years there were never any pitting or scratches.The question I have for a qualified gunsmith for an honest opinion is as follows.True or False a sythetic stock can be glassbedded and fitted to a rifle it was designed to fit?Second question-Should I be satisfied with the condition of the unven blueing job and rust in a few areas on the gun after a refinishing job even though the gun had never exhibited rust in all the years of ownership?Please help,Thanks,RS
Old July 27, 2000, 04:43 PM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Tombstone, officially as I can get: A synthetic stock can be bedded just like any other. I like to use Steel Bed for them but the procedure is the same. They can be free floated as well. As to the finish of your rifle, I can't imagine what might have pitted the metal in such a short time. The surface rust on different areas just comes from sloppy handling. There are instances where you will have a slightly different tone or hue due to differences in the metals but it sounds more like to me that the uneven finish is a direct result of the polishing. I wouldn't be satisfied at all. George

[This message has been edited by George Stringer (edited July 27, 2000).]
Old July 27, 2000, 06:34 PM   #3
James K
Member In Memoriam

It almost sounds like the smith didn't use an after bluing rust preventer, a big boo-boo.

Jim
Old July 28, 2000, 10:01 AM   #4
TOMBSTONE

Thanks for the replies,I appreciate the info.Thanks,RS
Old July 28, 2000, 10:44 PM   #5
VictorLouis

When I still had he Mini-14, I purchased a Butler Creek plastic stock. I was told by 3 different 'smiths that the bedding wouldn't hold, due to the "slippery" composition of the plastic. One told me that it may, or may not, depending on which stock. Was I fed a line of bull... too?
Old July 29, 2000, 08:21 AM   #6
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Victor, in a word, yes. Most smiths will use a different bedding compound for synthetic stocks. George
Old July 30, 2000, 10:52 AM   #7
Paul B.

Tombstone. I may not be a "professional" gunsmith, but I have glass bedded about 7 synthetic stocks. What I do is take a small drill bit and make a bunch od shallow holes at various opposing angles in the stock, from 1/16th inch to 1/4 inch, depending on where and how the material allows me to go depthwise. Then I rough up the rest of the area with a Dremel tool. I have synthetics done this was that were done in the early 1980's and they are still holding. All you have to do is give the bedding material something to bite into.
Paul B.
Old July 30, 2000, 02:42 PM   #8
Badger Arms

Most synthetics act as a parting agent. That is, they will peel away from conventional glass bedding. I know that this is true of the Choate and Acraglass combo that I tried once. As far as the Gunsmith, I'll ask you a simple question.

Q) What do you call somebody who graduated last in their class from gunsmithing school?

A) A gunsmith.