The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old July 23, 2014, 12:47 PM   #26
T. O'Heir

Please reduce the size of your pictures. Causes very slow page loading for dial up users.
His size doesn't matter for recoil. The cartridge doesn't much either. If a bolt action .308 or .243, etc. recoil bothers him, look into a semi-auto. Magazines do not have to be full. Not that it's likely be an issue for your son. If he's responsible enough to hunt in the first place.
"...Can't bring myself to replace the Black Walnut wood..." A recoil pad and some spacers will make that issue go away without costing a fortune.
Old July 24, 2014, 12:47 AM   #27
9x19

Go with the youth model... you can probably find a take-off adult stock cheap if Boyds is making a replacement.

As for long stocks on short guns being "un-serviceable"... phooey!

I find short barrels to be better in the field... never really wished for a shorter stock, but cussed at a few 22" and 24" barrels.
Old July 24, 2014, 06:34 PM   #28
Chuck Dye

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Howa-...bo/1367661.uts

The memory that sent me on my cursory search is of wooden stocks. /you may want to do a more thorough search for such combos.
Old August 6, 2014, 02:45 PM   #29
precision_shooter

I ended up picking up a Mossberg MVP Patrol rifle in .223 with 16in barrel. It has about the right LOP for my son, but not too short for me to use comfortably. .223 is plenty of power for the small texas whitetail that we have using 60gr SP bullets.

I also picked up a Leupold VX-1 2-7x33 and mounted it with Warne steel rings. Should make a nice deer/woods rifle for him/me.
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 6, 2014, 10:40 PM   #30
9x19

Sounds like a nice rig... now to get HIM some trigger time.
Old August 7, 2014, 12:50 AM   #31
10-96

Sounds like that Mossberg was a good choice. How's the young'ns excitement level?

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 7, 2014, 07:33 AM   #32
precision_shooter

We took it out to the "Huntin Land" last weekend before I got the scope and shot with open sights. I shot about 8 rounds to get the sights on at 50yds. Then set him up at about 30yds with bipod to get him some trigger time and training with open sights. He put about 20 rounds through it, with acceptable minute of deer accuracy after he got accustomed to where to hold the sights and proper sight picture.
Next is to sight in the scope and get him more trigger time/training.

He is very excited about the rifle, was excited to help/learn how to clean it when we got home, and said "I'm going to take really good care of my rifle". He wipes it down any time it gets handled and has to be the one to put it back in the gun closet.

He also shot a couple 22 pistols, my G42 380, and SP101 with some mild .38 special loads. He had a good time and so did I!
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776
Old August 7, 2014, 10:01 AM   #33
Panfisher

AWESOME!!
Old August 10, 2014, 10:48 PM   #34
reynolds357

Should be a good first rifle.
Old August 11, 2014, 06:27 AM   #35
Picher

Great job Precision Shooter. You could use a slip-on pad for using the rifle yourself.

For others, I recommend buying a used rifle, especially as a first-rifle, .22LR.

I bought a cheap, full-length, Rem 581 about 35 years ago for my son. I then drilled a half-inch hole in the center of the buttstock, about 3" deep, then two long, countersunk holes for long wood screws. Then, I cut the stock to the right length for him.

I glued a piece of 1/2" dowel in the hole I drilled in the cut-off piece. The piece could then be re-attached, so I could use the rifle at any time. It worked great!
Old August 11, 2014, 07:14 AM   #36
hvymax

I put Knoxx adjustable stocks on many of my guns. That way they fit everyone from 5yr olds to 6'5" me. Also wardrobe changes are no problem either. T shirt to bundled for below zero in a stand is a quick adjustment to compensate.
Old August 11, 2014, 07:18 AM   #37
precision_shooter

Thinking he needs a .22 bolt action for Christmas, maybe early present! Easier on my wallet and good practice for him on marksmanship and fundamentals.

Old August 12, 2014, 10:27 PM   #38
horselips

Get Boy Wonder an AR15 with a .243 upper. The adjustable stock will accommodate any size shooter from child to adult. As he grows up and older, he can add different caliber uppers and appropriate optics to suit his growing experience, needs and wants. The flexibility, versatility, and overall general usefulness of the AR platform is unsurpassed, and as low as prices have fallen for these rifles, why mess around with anything else?

I was 12 when Dear Ol' Dad bought me my first rifle. He suggested a .22LR, I said screw that, we went to our favorite gun store and I picked out a gorgeous, unissued-looking Enfield No.5 MK I Jungle Carbine. All of $45. Of course, that was half a century ago. Surplus .303 British ammo was about 8 cents a round. Those were the days.

Last edited by horselips; August 12, 2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old August 13, 2014, 03:37 PM   #39
precision_shooter

Quote:
Get Boy Wonder an AR15 with a .243 upper. The adjustable stock will accommodate any size shooter from child to adult. As he grows up and older, he can add different caliber uppers and appropriate optics to suit his growing experience, needs and wants. The flexibility, versatility, and overall general usefulness of the AR platform is unsurpassed, and as low as prices have fallen for these rifles, why mess around with anything else?
Problem with that is the .243 chambered uppers can only fit on a AR-10/LR-308 lower, not the AR-15, and the prices of the .308 pattern guns have not really come down that much. Still well over $1,000 for rifle alone (for a good one at least...).
Old August 14, 2014, 07:14 PM   #40
horselips

Prices for quality 7.62 AR platforms have dropped quite a bit more than you think - behold - today on Gunbroker: http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=434779090 - sold for $775.75. Other listings offer the same rifle for a little over 8 bills. The deals are out there.
Old August 14, 2014, 07:28 PM   #41
jimbob86

Quote:
He is 4'11" or so and weighs 74lbs soaking wet.
Recoil will be an issue.

Stock fit, rifle weight and the energy going out the muzzle will all play a role in perceived recoil.

A stock that fits, with a sight (glass or iron) system that allows a good cheek weld, are important.

Youth guns are great ...... except the flimsy plastic stocks most of them come with weigh almost nothing, contributing to more recoil .....

A good youth gun needs to be short enough to fit the youth, heavy as the kid can handle, and loaded so as not to beat them up ...... if you handload, caliber chosen is nigh irrelavent- most chamberings can be downloaded for begginners ...... however, choosing one too small for future uses can't be so easily fixed.

My solution for a kids' gun was a Ruger Frontier in 7-08 ...... downloaded to 30-30 levels to start with. Works well enough that they argue over it.
Old August 20, 2014, 08:44 AM   #42
Picher

I see that Hornady is making their fine GMX solid-gilding metal hunting bullet in .224 now, a 55 grain. That may be an excellent deer bullet for Texas whitetails, especially if the twist rate is 1:12" or higher.

Original bullet weight isn't as important as retained weight. The ones I've used in other calibers retain nearly 100% of their original weight, yet expanded fully.