The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 25, 2000, 12:12 PM   #1
Jeffly

Can any one tell me if a novice adjust the factory trigger on a Win. model 70 or a Rem. 700, or install an after market trigger such as a jewel. Also how hard is it to glass bed a rifle? thanks for any advice. Jeff
Old July 25, 2000, 10:48 PM   #2
fed168

I have a Win 70 that I took apart and looked at, the trigger seemed easy to adjust. Dad and I adjusted the two washers(?) on the screw and it has worked fine. 700 triggers can be adjusted, but I would have a smith do it, or find someone with knowhow and learn to do it myself.
Old July 26, 2000, 08:39 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Jeffly, go to http://www.recguns.com/OutIIId2a.html and you'll find complete instructions on adjusting both factory triggers. The Jewell triggers and others come with complete installation instructions. They are pretty simple to install and adjust. Some may require a little fitting to the stock. You may have to remove a little wood where the trigger goes through. Glass bedding isn't all that difficult. In Gunsmith Kinks vol 1 there is a step-by-step description of it. The book is available from Brownells, www.brownells.com. George