The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 23, 2015, 03:42 PM   #1
Doc Holliday 1950

CCI Pest Control Shotgun Shell

Is there any body our there can tell me what the optimal range is for
CCI 1/4 oz. #9 shotgun shell used in 38/357 mag revolvers?
Just bought a box of ten count. Lots of snakes and varmints
here in Tennessee.

ALS0, does this ammo have any SD merits???

I appreciate any info on this.
Doc

Last edited by Doc Holliday 1950; June 23, 2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old June 23, 2015, 04:06 PM   #2
tlm225

Those I've used patterned well to 10' or so out of 2" - 4" guns. If a snake is close enough to be a threat, it's close enough for the shot shells to deal with him.
Old June 23, 2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Doc Holliday 1950

That's excellent! We're using a 4"
GP 100 & a 1.87 " LCR both 357 mags.
Thanks,
Doc
Old June 23, 2015, 04:30 PM   #4
Grant D

I had a snake in a bush outside my front window trying to get in the house, so I stepped out the front door, about ten feet from him, and shot him with a CCI 22 cal. snake shot shell with a Rossi Gallery gun. One shot to the head and, dead!
I also have them in 38 and 45 Long Colt.
Old June 23, 2015, 04:36 PM   #5
Snyper

They are useless for self defense against most things with legs, but fine for snakes and birds at less than 15 feet
Old June 23, 2015, 04:38 PM   #6
Rbrt3474

What Snyper said. For snakes and birds they're good if you're close enough to spit on them. Other than that, they're neat for exploding fruits/vegetable/eggs. Definitely not for self defense.
Old June 23, 2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Doc Holliday 1950

Got it! Thanks Snyper & Rbt.
Doc
Old June 24, 2015, 07:45 AM   #8
Snyper

You can buy empty capsules and load your own, which gives the advantage of being able to use any size shot, or a mix of different sizes, up to and including buckshot

Without a heavy crimp they tend to back out of the cases with recoil so sometimes you can only load one or two at a time
Old June 24, 2015, 03:59 PM   #9
Doc Holliday 1950

I called Ruger today of see the progress of repairing the Crane Latch on my wife's LCR 357 which they completey removed the existing latch with a brand new latch and asked about using CCI Varmint shells and was told that YES
Ruger allows this, but that blue top to the shell can stick inside the barrel and is a real bear to remove. Now I don't know what to do.

So, I can use it but BEWARE
Old June 26, 2015, 11:15 PM   #10
Snyper

Quote:
Ruger allows this, but that blue top to the shell can stick inside the barrel and is a real bear to remove. Now I don't know what to do.
I've been shooting them off and on for about 35 years and have never heard of that happening.

Even if it did, I see no reason why it would be hard to remove, since it's relatively thin plastic
Old June 27, 2015, 02:27 PM   #11
Drm50

CCI Shot Shells

I live in little town of 300 out in the sticks. If something aggravates us we usually just shot it and forget it. My wife puts a lot of time and effort in her
flower beds. We had trouble with certain kind of pest tearing up the beds.
We did not want to kill them, just sting them enough they wouldn't come
back. So I got some 22 shot, put in single shot b/a by the door. Shot pest
at 20-25'. Capsule failed to open. Killed it dead,might as well used Hp, except
no over penetration. Moral: don't shoot them at anything you don't want dead.
I'm back to Daisy BB gun!
Old June 27, 2015, 03:16 PM   #12
FITASC

You sure those are #9?
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old June 27, 2015, 03:18 PM   #13
robinsroost

My experience has been 10 to 15 feet. Speer makes the little plastic capsules that they use, so you can load your own, using what ever size shot you prefer. I prefer #9 shot, for density, but I have also used 6's and 4's. No matter what you choose, pattern them so you will know your maximum effective range. Midway USA lists the capsules in their web site. Keep yer powder dry........Robin
Old June 27, 2015, 03:48 PM   #14
natman

Quote:
Is there any body our there can tell me what the optimal range is for
CCI 1/4 oz. #9 shotgun shell used in 38/357 mag revolvers?
The rifling puts a spin on the shot charge, which causes a rapidly dispersing pattern that limits the effective range to about 10 feet. Past that range the pattern looks like a doughnut, with shot everywhere except where you want it.

Quote:
ALS0, does this ammo have any SD merits???
None whatsoever.
Old June 28, 2015, 06:13 PM   #15
bedbugbilly

Get a large piece of cardboard - set it out at ten feet - shoot one and see what the pattern is on the cardboard. You might try a couple of different distances.

I reload so have made my own using the plastic Speer capsules. I really wasn't that impressed with them. I haven't had time to play with it yet but I got 500 gas checks for 38s and will try those. A GC pressed into the casing over the powder - load shot - a GC on top with a light crimp.

On another site, some have loaded their own but made their own shot sleeves they've made out of material from plastic milk jug. Evidently, they've had some good luck with putting the shot inside of a home-made shot capsule as it carries the shot out better and gives a better pattern.

If you're going after snakes (rattlers, copperheads, etc.) then you really should try a few out and see how they pattern out of your particular handgun. If you are a distance away . . . retreating from the situation is the best move. If you end up on top of one or a few feet away . . . well . . . if you know how they pattern you'll know how they hit.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 28, 2015, 07:00 PM   #16
DeadEyeJack

Retracted, my apologies.

Last edited by DeadEyeJack; June 30, 2015 at 10:52 PM.
Old June 28, 2015, 07:12 PM   #17
hoghunting

Quote:
The furthest I've seen them be effective on critters is about 7 yards, and that was out of a 5" Colt Python.
5" Python??? You have something special since they came in 2.5", 4", 6" and
8" barrels.
Old June 28, 2015, 07:45 PM   #18
natman

Quote:
To make a long story short, they're fairly comparable to the riot controll rubber buckshot and in some areas are even considered a less than lethal ammunition(At least here in northern PA they are).
The only time you're justified in discharging a firearm in an SD situation is because someone is threatening you enough that you are justified in using lethal force.

If that's the case you are going to want to be able to supply it, in large quantities and right now, not two shots from now. There's no place for less than lethal ammo outside of law enforcement.
Old June 28, 2015, 10:44 PM   #19
oldcabin

I have heard of the blue cap failing on the CCI, but in a tube fed gun from abrasion. I have had great luck with Federal 22LR shotshells with the crimp end. I use them in Marlin tube fed rifle. Perhaps there is a production 357 with a crimp?
Old June 28, 2015, 11:39 PM   #20
Bill DeShivs

"Nowadays, when ever I carry one, at least the first two rounds in my revolver are always CCI shot shells. If nothin else it takes a little pressure off of giving that warning shot, if need be, so I say go for it."

Warning shot??? That'll get you killed or put in jail.
If you are justified in shooting at all, shot shells are the LAST thing you want to be shooting!
Old June 29, 2015, 07:35 AM   #21
TimSr

I've loaded the Speer casules with #8 and #9 for .44 and 38/357 for years. They work great at close range, especially 10' or less. I used to load a couple hundred at a time for friend who took them to Texas for snake hunting. We both were shooting the 38/357 ones from 6" Rugers. The maller the shot, the more pellets you get. #9 worked better than #8. I never bothered loading anything bigger. Also, they patter better at lower velocities so don't overload. Never heard of the blue caps coming apart or sticking. Never experienced any problems with with the ones I loaded, maybe 1000 total in both calibers.

Not much defense value with their limited range, though I suppose the bigger capsules with a 1/4 oz of shot might be good anti-carjacking load, but I'd rather have a single slug.
Old June 29, 2015, 01:22 PM   #22
csmsss

Warning shots are for the movies.
Old July 1, 2015, 08:16 PM   #23
bipe215

I load #8 in Speer shot shells for a J frame. Out of a snubby I've measured about one inch pattern for every foot of range. The longer barreled guns tend to "doughnut" the pattern.
Old July 2, 2015, 08:18 PM   #24
DPris
Member Emeritus

The pattern spread depends primarily on twist rate & velocity.

A faster twist rate & a higher velocity will open the pattern up quicker.

The Python & Detective Special I tested them with both spread faster than comparable Smiths, different twist rates between the two brands.

One of the best in terms of density & tighter spreads was a Smith .38 snub.
Short barrel, lower velocities.

The worst were rifles, higher velocities.

Never heard of a plastic CCI shot cup getting stuck in a barrel.
I did bust one up trying it in a 9mm Glock.
Hit the feedramp & shattered, poured little tiny lead pellets all over inside the gun.

Some pistols don't tolerate them well at all.
Denis
Old July 5, 2015, 03:39 PM   #25
RMcL

Load #12 Shot

#12 Shot is the way to go if you load your own. Snakes at 10' go limp at the shot.

Ballistic Products carries #12 shot:

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/Chi...uctinfo/02612/