The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2014, 04:13 PM   #1
Freeloader Reloader

"Made in USA" magazines for Ruger LC9

I bought a Ruger LC9 as my first EDC right before I applied for my Concealed Handgun Permit. I purchased it from a friend of mine who absolutely hated the extremely long DA trigger pull (yada, yada, yada). My friend made me a good deal including 100 rounds of factory ammo and two spare Ruger Magazines. The gun came from the factory with a Ruger mag "Made in Italy". The two Ruger magazines my friend bought from Ruger.com were "Made in USA". Being the patriotic USAF Veteran that I am, I put the two USA magazines in my mag pouch and saved those for when I really needed them. Made in USA, right? Didn't shoot my EDC gun at the range nearly as much as I should have, and was told by another friend that I should shoot it every time I went to the range. I agreed. Next range visit, I unloaded all the Speer JKTD-HP rounds from all three mags and started practicing. I do not like to use the extended mag base as it lessens the conceal-ability of the gun. Every now and then (quite often, actually) I would experience a problem with the magazine dropping about 1/2" and failure to feed. I blamed it on myself, of course, I must have hit the mag release since it didn't happen every time. It wasn't until I was checking out the gun in the comfort of my reloading shed that I noticed the mag would drop down when I would draw the gun from the holster. Then I noticed that sometimes just squeezing the grip (mindful of the release button) the mag would drop down. I finally realized that it was only the "Made in USA" magazines that did this, I never could get the "Made in Italy" mag to do it...never! I googled the problem and found out that I was not hardly the only person to experience this problem and it was always a "Made in USA" magazine.
I sent Ruger an email with my dilemma and received a very quick and courteous reply from Customer Service. After getting my serial number, they shipped me two Ruger magazines, "Made in Italy" absolutely free of charge. I was elated! I never experienced the "magazine drop" with the Italian magazines ever, to this day.
Speaking of "this day". I was so excited hearing about the LC9s that I immediately sold my LC9 and bought a LC9s the next day. Opening the box revealed that the new gun came with a (you guessed it) "Made in USA" magazine. Well, I figured since they repaired the horrible trigger (fantastic, by the way!) they probably found the problem with the magazine as well. Nope! Afraid not!
Checking out the gun, it functioned normally with the dummy mag, and I was blown away by the pull and reset of the new trigger. Exchanging the unloaded mag for the dummy, again, functioned correctly. Locking open just like it should. "They must have fixed the problem" I assumed. After loading the magazine, reinserting it into the gun and cycling the slide... it locked open again...and would not close. When I hit the mag release button, the slide slammed forward and put a round in the chamber befoire the mag dropped out. Now, that ain't right! So I figured maybe I was riding the slide a little or taking it too easy. Put the loaded mag in and cycled the slide....the mag dropped down. Awww, Man! Tried it a few more times and it worked correctly once. I sent an email to Ruger Customer Service and then decided to give them a call. Explained "all of the above" to the rep and he said he did not know of anyone having trouble with the "Made in USA" mags. I told him of my Google Investigation and he said something like "Well, you can't believe everything you see on the computer "......Fuse lit.......smell of gunpowder! I proceeded to tell him a few more choice words (trying to remain as calm as possible) and he finally asked "What would you like me to do?". I said, "Send me a new magazine and make sure it is "Made in Italy"...that's all. He said he would send me a new magazine but there was no way he could guarantee it would be a "Made in Italy" magazine. Then I had to return the original magazine to Ruger, as well. Like I am trying to get a free magazine out of the deal. I do not want this "Made in USA" magazine and surely do not want another one. Just wondering (if any of you are still reading this novella) if any other guys on the forum have experienced this same problem with these magazines? I'm waiting for the new one to get here and I'll try it out but...if it fails, it sails. Then you think this rant was long? Wait until I send a typwritten letter to Ruger and see if that does the trick. Whew....that did feel better.
Old August 20, 2014, 05:09 PM   #2
Fishbed77

Quote:
Being the patriotic USAF Veteran that I am, I put the two USA magazines in my mag pouch and saved those for when I really needed them. Made in USA, right?
Bad move.

The "Made in Italy" mags are made by Mec-Gar, who makes some of the world's best magazines, and is the OEM manufacturer for SIG Sauer, Beretta, Walther, and many others.

I would trust them far before any mags Ruger is now producing in-house.

Last edited by Fishbed77; August 21, 2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old August 20, 2014, 09:00 PM   #3
Freeloader Reloader

Bad Move

Yeah, in hindsight I guess it was but I really didn't know any better then. I figured since they had the Ruger name on them they should work, right? I just didn't shoot them for awhile. When I got those replaced with the Italian ones, my problem was solved. Seems like it has come back to bite me in the ass with a brand new gun. I haven't given up yet...not by a long shot. I'll wait until the new mag comes in (hoping that it will be the Italian one). If it isn't, and I have the same problem with the USA one. I will be writing a letter to as high up the food chain as I can reach. Main purpose of a EDC is to defend your life. If you can't depend o the magazine to stay in the gun when it's supposed to, you'll be hung out to dry in short order. Thanks for the insight on the mag mfg. I will definitely do some research on that company to bolster my case.
Old August 20, 2014, 10:16 PM   #4
lefteye

I haven't had any trouble with my LC9 magazines. I just looked at them - both are marked "MADE IN ITALY".
Old August 21, 2014, 04:24 AM   #5
Freeloader Reloader

Both are marked "Made in Italy"

Lefteye; I have NEVER had one problem with my "Made in Italy" magazines...ever. I have no idea what the problem is with the "Made in USA" magazines is...and apparently neither does Ruger. The sheer volume of complaints I saw when I googled it says (to me, at least) that there is a problem. The biggest concern for me is not the magazine failing to function at the range but failing to function when I am fighting for my life.
Old August 21, 2014, 04:28 AM   #6
Freeloader Reloader

Mec-Gar Corp.

Fishbed; I went to the Mec-Gar website you mentioned (thanks very much, btw) and saw that they have a factory in Italy and a factory in Connecticut. I would imagine there must be a way that I can purchase a magazine directly from the factory in Italy if my hope for Ruger sending me the Italian magazine falls through. I'm waiting for the new mag to arrive from Ruger before I pursue this matter any further. Thanks again for the info.
Old August 21, 2014, 05:42 AM   #7
saleen322

I didn't know about the magazine issue with the LC9. I never had any problems with mine feeding but after reading this thread I checked the magazines. They are marked made in Italy. FWIW
Old August 21, 2014, 08:27 AM   #8
cmdc

I had the same problem with my new LC9s, purchased two weeks ago. My LGS just swapped the mag out with one on their shelf, though.
Old August 22, 2014, 08:33 PM   #9
Freeloader Reloader

Worked okay...most of the time

Well, finally took my LC9s to the range and have to say...man that trigger was great! The Made in USA magazine ran pretty well and didn't malfunction but a couple of times so I was fairly pleased with that. Ruger answered my online request promptly and said they would send me an Italian magazine if they have one in stock and I have to send them my magazine. I have no problem sending them the magazine back but I told them if they didn't have an Italian one in stock to wait until they DO have one in stock to send it to me. I just cannot trust my life to this magazine even though it seems to be running okay. I know how my luck runs...and don't want it to run...out!
Old August 23, 2014, 02:29 AM   #10
weblance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishbed77
I would trust them far before any mags Ruger is now producing in-house.
Ruger isnt making magazines in house. Checkmate Industries is the supplier of the "Made in USA" magazines.
Old August 23, 2014, 06:42 AM   #11
Kreyzhorse

My buddy had the mag drop issue with his LC9. After two trips to Ruger, they claimed it was the mag release and replaced it twice as well as the mags.

They claimed he was causing the problem because he wasn't holding the mag release in during the entire insertion and removal of the mag. That was what was causing wear on the slot on the mag and this the mag dropping out of the gun.

Anyway, after the second trip, and holding the mag release button in any time he replaces a mag, the problem has been solved for what it's worth.
Old August 23, 2014, 04:39 PM   #12
Freeloader Reloader

Hold Mag Release Button In

Can't say I've ever heard that one before. If that were the case though...why did it never happen with the "Made in Italy" magazines? Kind of makes you wonder, doesn't it? Anyway, my replacement magazine arrived today and, yes, it is a Made in Italy mag. I've already mailed the USA one back to them with my thanks to customer support. Hope this takes care of the problem once and for all. Thanks for everyone contributing to the thread. It was enlightening to say the least.