The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old February 2, 2014, 08:50 AM   #51
s3779m

If you think taking a gun away from a loved one is bad, what until you take them to court with all that will involve. Doctors will have to be called,lawyers will have to be called, family members called etc.etc. Not to mention the dignity to be lost by your loved one. That is why if I have to cross this bridge and it does look as if it is coming, I will remove the firing pin, and let him keep the gun. He will never know it is gone unless he pulls the trigger, in which case I will thank God it was removed. I did not need the courts to raise my children, and I do not need the courts to take care of my parents!
Old February 2, 2014, 09:35 AM   #52
JWT

Hey, that's me! Don't do it.:
Old February 2, 2014, 12:38 PM   #53
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
..I will remove the firing pin, and let him keep the gun. He will never know it is gone unless he pulls the trigger, in which case I will thank God it was removed.
If I did that, and it saved an innocent life, I too would thank God it was removed. But if it didn't, and cost Grandpa his life, I wouldn't blame God, the responsible party would be...me.

If you do it, be certain you can live with ALL of the possible outcomes, because, worst case, someone else may not live.
Old February 3, 2014, 06:14 AM   #54
s3779m

Quote:
If you do it, be certain you can live with ALL of the possible outcomes, because, worst case, someone else may not live.
And if the courts decide to take away the gun, the result will be different? Wouldn't I still have the guilt of involving the court in the first place. You hit it on the nail, this is not an easy decision. One question not asked is how much do we want the government involved in our lives.
Old February 3, 2014, 08:29 AM   #55
OuTcAsT

Quote:
And if the courts decide to take away the gun, the result will be different?
Of course they would. If you :

Quote:
I will remove the firing pin, and let him keep the gun. He will never know it is gone unless he pulls the trigger,
You are going to have some splainin to do if, lets say, someone breaks in on Gramps and beats him badly, or kills him because his HD weapon did not work as expected. LE Is going to be very suspicious about why the firing pin was missing.

If you don't have to answer for it to LE, you most certainly have to answer for it to a "higher authority" and your own mind as well.

On the other hand, if you go through the legal process, you, or someone else will be named as guardian of Gramps. That makes you responsible for his well being, much the same as the parent of a child.

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -
Old February 3, 2014, 10:20 AM   #56
JimDandy

Quote:
And if the courts decide to take away the gun, the result will be different?
The result? Maybe not. Your feelings about it? Probably. At that point you've got a dispassionate opinion from an unbiased outsider, and some expert testimony on what's going on. You're not "going it alone".
Old February 3, 2014, 03:41 PM   #57
Glenn E. Meyer

I would ask our legal experts if it is legal to disable someone's gadgetry without their permission.

If they are not under your control and still seen as an adult, it would seem to me that you committed some kind of violation.
Old February 3, 2014, 03:42 PM   #58
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
And if the courts decide to take away the gun, the result will be different? Wouldn't I still have the guilt of involving the court in the first place.
If the court takes away Grampa's gun(s), he is going to know his gun is gone. (if he's not able to be aware of that, then it happening won't matter)

IF he has a gun that he thinks is in working order, but isn't, because you took out the firing pin, that is a much different situation.

your guilt over getting a court involved is going to be your guilt no matter what. But, by involving the court, you are giving them the responsibility for the decision.

No matter what you do, if things turn out badly, you are going to have guilt. Your degree of responsibility for what happened decides if the guilt is deserved, or not.
Old February 3, 2014, 05:04 PM   #59
OuTcAsT

I can tell you from personal experience that the "guilt" factor of having a family member deemed mentally incapacitated is short lived. If you have someone that you care about, that has reached a point in their lives where they are truly not capable of making everyday decisions about their own wellbeing, I would posit that the guilt would be far greater if you stood Idly by, lived in complete denial and did nothing to help them, than the aftermath of the court proceeding.

In my case I assumed responsibility for a Parent. Was it difficult ? Yes. Were there "hurt feelings" ? Yes. Was it necessary ? Yes. However, my parents did not hesitate to care for me when I was a child and could not yet care for my self, It was my responsibility, and the least I could do to try and partially repay that enormous debt. To change things a bit, if it were one of your own adult children that was incapacitated would you hesitate ? In the world of dementia, there is little difference between an 85 year old, and a 5 year old, in my experience. (except for the ability to use colorful expletives)

Does not morality imply the last clear chance? - WildAlaska -

Last edited by OuTcAsT; February 3, 2014 at 05:12 PM.