The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 17, 2010, 01:11 PM   #1
saigashooter

Home defense with no glasses/contacts?

I went to the eye doctor for new contacts and when i had them out i realized how blind i am with out them. I wear them all night but what would happen if i had them out for the night and someone broke in, if they had anything in their hand it would be impossible to tell if it was a gun, club, ect. What to do? Just keep your firearm trained on them unless they make a menacing move at me. Could an attorney turn it around because you couldnt properly see your target and for all you know he was just some random person walking by and saw a break in and came to help?? just looking to get a different prespective.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:17 PM   #2
Dresden2001

Well, in Colorado, if they are in your house, absent other factors, they are fair game. The law that permits defense of your premises is known as the "Make my Day" statute. In effect, it says that anyone who breaks in is presumed to be armed and dangerous and you may employ deadly force to stop the intrusion. Most states with "Castle" statutes follow the same line of reasoning.
Old May 17, 2010, 01:18 PM   #3
Webleymkv

Being also nearly blind without glasses or contacts, this is something I've thought about a lot. The conclusion that I've come to is this, my first response, if at all possible, is to reach for my glasses which I keep on a bedside table just a couple of feet from my head when I'm asleep. If the situation is so dire that I cannot put my glasses on, the threat will more than likely be so close that I can probably identify it even without my glasses.

It's really not something that worries me all that much anymore. Indiana is a pretty gun-friendly state so long as you stay away from the Gary/East Chicago area. We also have the castle doctrine so you don't have to worry quite as much about an overly zealous prosecutor attempting to crucify you should you have to defend yourself.

Last edited by Webleymkv; May 17, 2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:05 PM   #4
howwie

I also am near blind without contacts. but unlike the OP I always take them out. I can wake and instinctivley have my glasses on without wasting a second. (waking to feed the 8 month old can do that) But then in a God forbid situation I am at yet another disadvantage. My glasses could be knocked off. Plus I never go shooting with glasses, always contacts. So I bet my aim would be distorted...(then again, with the 12 gauge I think that'll be OK) has anyone ever done lasik? I'm hesitant to mess with my eyes but it seems like a winner to our problem. If $$ permits that is.
Old May 17, 2010, 02:15 PM   #5
WvHiker

I too have the same problem. My contacts are the kind you can sleep with, but not every night. Luckily I have almost 30 years of reaching for my glasses, but sometimes my cat will knock them off my nightstand. When this happens I usually have to get my daughter to help me find them, so I'm obviously in a bad way if this happens.

I guess no matter what you do you can't be 100% "safe" 100% of the time. Just part of the human condition. You do the best you can with what you've got.
Old May 17, 2010, 03:38 PM   #6
Mr. James

Good replies.

I keep the glasses on the bedside table, and can have then on in a flash. There's only one person besides me who has any business in my house in the wee hours, and I know him pretty well (my son). Anyone else just might be in a heap o' hurt.

Unless your glasses are made to a hopelessly outdated prescription, they won't distort your vision appreciably if you need to wear them in a pinch. I shoot with either and do just fine.

Everyone I've spoken with who has had Lasik surgery says it's the best thing they've ever done, wish they'd done it years earlier, etc.

Cheers,

Bob James

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old May 17, 2010, 05:53 PM   #7
m&p45acp10+1

I quit using contacts a year ago. (Well I still have a box for special occasions). I am lucky enough to have vision insurance thruogh my employer. I also take a pair of clear safty glasses to the range with me. I shoot at least 25 rounds without my prescrition glasses, at 3 yards, and 25 feet. Somewhat close to the distances I would be shooting from in a HD situation.
If you can afford the coin, and have vision insuarance I would recomend polycarbonate lenses. I selected Flexon Titanium frames. They are light, comfortable, do not slip, or slide. They are also tough as nails. I can fold them in half at the bridge, let go and they will snap back into the original shape.
Old May 17, 2010, 08:49 PM   #8
Head-Space

Gives a whole new meaning to the command, "Keep your hands where I can see them!" -- "and I'm blind as a bat!"

I'm not worried about being able to operate the firearm. I can do that blindfolded. I can see the target, well enough to hit it without glasses. But I can't, even in broad daylight, distinguish if what they're holding in their hand is a wallet or a gun.

Something to think about. I put my glasses on the desk in the office, next to the bedroom.
Old May 17, 2010, 09:52 PM   #9
Deaf Smith

saigashooter,

While I do not advocate point shooting for most peoples primary means of shooting a gun in self defense, there are exceptions. And poor eyesight is one of those exceptions.

I strongly suggest you learn to use point shooting techniques.

And get a good flashlight to help you illuminate so you can identify what you are shooting at in darkness.

And BTW, a good short 12 guage is also a suggestion. Just bead front sight and a light to illuminate.
Old May 18, 2010, 01:31 AM   #10
saigashooter

i dont think i would have any problem getting a good COM hit but i wouldnt want to kill someone or go to prison because i could not distinguish between a wallet or gun in his hand. i guess i might have to get a pair of back up glasses
Old May 18, 2010, 04:04 AM   #11
suzukibruce

"looked like a gun to me", or "i feared for my life" or "he said he would kill us" remember dead men tell no tales.... my suggestion though is a 12 gauge next to the bed... you may not have to see him but HE will hear that "shuck shuck" sound and know he is in deep $#@! so you may not even have to worry about missing because i tell you this if i was in someone elses house and heard that behind me i think i would crap myself right there...
Old May 18, 2010, 06:48 AM   #12
45Gunner

The problem of not seeing without proper corrective lenses is a very real and frightening problem. I discovered just how serious it is after reading a post on this Forum and decided to practice at my next range outing without corrective glasses. It opened my eyes to the reality of how bad my eyes had become.

I contacted Rick from Manaboutracks.com and I am having him make a nightstand gun rack that will hold my HD gun, flashlight, and a place on that rack for my glasses...everything together in one tidy package. That rack is in the finishing stage right now and I expect to have it within the next week. I will post a picture of it after I receive it.

For those that are in need of corrective lenses to see, you may want to give this some serious consideration as it will beat the hell out of fumbling around for those glasses as we all have done when we need them.
NRA Life Member
Old May 18, 2010, 07:02 AM   #13
spacecoast

Same here, I'm blind without my lenses and take them out every night. My glasses are the FIRST thing I reach for, and are every bit as important, moreso probably, than a flashlight or firearm.
Old May 18, 2010, 08:23 AM   #14
kraigwy

Funny Story:

I wear reading glasses, Drug Store type, but didm need prescription glasses for shooting.

One night years ago, just after hitting the street I got a call of a disturbance with a Knife. I caught the suspect in the back yard. He held the knife in a threatening manner, I pulled my service revolver and tell him "LOOSE THE KNIFE"

Now this was a while ago, pre-cell phones, but because of my EOD duties I carried a pager, so while confronting the bandit, I get this page from my wife:

BEEP BEEP BEEP, HONEY YOU LEFT YOU GLASSES AT THE HOUSE"

The Bandit laughs and says "YOU CANT SEE" throws down his knife and takes off. We did run him down.

No I wasn't in any danger do to my eye sight, but that didn't keep the officer with me from blabbing this incident all over the police department.

Other officers can be so cruel.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old May 18, 2010, 12:22 PM   #15
spacecoast

Good story Kraig... We used to wear those audible pagers at work, they were SO ANNOYING.
Old May 18, 2010, 05:26 PM   #16
old bear

Glasses

Keep a pair of glasses near your gun. If you can get them on before something happens great, but if not you can put them on before the police arrive.
Old May 18, 2010, 06:10 PM   #17
stephen426

I have excellent vision so I really feel for you guys. My night vision is very good as well. My wife on the hand has pretty bad eye sight. Thats a good thing or else she might not have married me!

My cousin invested in lasik a few years back and he is happy as can be. No more fumbling for glasses in the middle of the night. If you can't afford lasik or you aren't a candidate for lasik, I really suggest you get an alarm system with an instant on function. Keep your bedroom door locked (unless you have young children. That should buy you more than enough time to get your glasses on. I certainly would not want to be shooting at a target I can't clearly identify.
Old May 18, 2010, 10:55 PM   #18
ISC

If my vision were that bad I'd get the surgery. Figure in the savings from a lifetime of buying glasses and It pays for itself eventually.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:09 AM   #19
DonutGuy

one word: Lasik, best money I ever spent.
Old May 19, 2010, 09:09 AM   #20
FreakGasolineFight

My point of focus (the point at which something appears clear to me) is about two inches in front of my face when I'm not wearing glasses or contacts. And I'm willing to bet that I'm half the age of most members here. That's what too much reading does to you.

I actually have worried about this before, because with my glasses off, I can identify a person, but I can't tell who that person is or what he is holding unless he is very close to me. I keep my glasses close by and my HD gun under my pillow, to combat this.

Love to hear from anyone else who had good experiences with Lasik surgery. It's something I'd be pretty tempted to get.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:27 AM   #21
Hard Ball

Practice point shotung!