The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2009, 07:52 PM   #1
Smogdude

Factory crimp on a bullet w/o cannelure?

So I got ahead of myself before doing my homework and ordered 300 Nosler ballistic tip .224 diameter 55 grain fmj's.. no cannelure. Can I still run them through the factory crimp die for use in my autoloaders? If not I'll have to reload them for a roomate's bolt rifle.
Old April 10, 2009, 08:02 PM   #2
SL1

I've never done it, but I understand that it can be done. But, it apparently makes the rounds less accurate because it deforms the bullet some. At least, that is what I have read.

SL1
Old April 10, 2009, 08:33 PM   #3
PCJim

If you are referring to Lee's FCD, yes you can "crimp" a non-cannelured bullet. I don't think you would actually be crimping, only insuring a very tight neck sizing on the bullet similar to that of a straight walled pistol casing.
Old April 10, 2009, 08:44 PM   #4
Smogdude

Yes, I plan on using the Lee FCD. Thanks for the responses... I'll be asking a lot more questions as issues arise for me, I'm sure. Good to know I'll get a chance to try some of these bullets out.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:36 AM   #5
Qtiphky

Crimp Away

I use the Lee FCD on all my .223 rounds. I have three autoloaders and just got done doing some load testing and the ones that I did use the FCD were more accurate out of my rifles. I had loaded up some FMJBT bullets with no cannelure and used the FCD. Worked great.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:07 AM   #6
Dingoboyx

My FCD's

Brag that the FCD are the best thing to crimp into a lead bullet without a canelure, so I don't think it would be a problem at all
Old April 11, 2009, 08:14 AM   #7
ems-1

I agree with the above. I don't think you will have any problems. I regularly use the Lee FCD on all types of bullets.
Old April 11, 2009, 08:30 AM   #8
res45

The Lee FCD will work fine on bullets with no cannelure,I use it on several different bullet mfg.that have no cannelure on them with excellent results. The trick is not to over crimp where it deforms the bullet. Just use a light crimp and you will be fine.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:05 AM   #9
Dingoboyx

True

You definately dont want to have the projectiles fall out of the case when you are trying to load them into the gun (not enough crimp), but you dont want the mouth of the case to go along with the bullet when its fired (too tight a crimp)

Besides, flaring too much, then crimping too tight, over and over, is the best way to shag out the mouths of the cases (especially if you dont anneal the case mouths)

For me, I find the best way of telling if your crimp is tight enough, is to twist the projectile in the case of the finished round, if the pill will turn easy, its not crimped tight enough, if it is rock solid (you cant turn it with 2 pair of pliers (probably a bit tight), if you can just get it to move with alot of effort & cussing, sounds about right to me. I am talking about pistol calibers here, I know the long rifle dudes (223, 308 etc) have to be done just perfectly to maintain their accuracy over long distances.
Old April 11, 2009, 02:33 PM   #10
30Cal

Unless your sizing die is messed up (oversized expander ball), you probably don't need to crimp.
Old April 11, 2009, 02:54 PM   #11
Slamfire

Why do you want to mess up real good bullets, like these Nosler's by crimping them?

I have shot tens of thousands of match bullets (no crimp groove on a SMK) in my match AR's using only neck tension. I used to use a Lee full length die, now I am using a Lyman SB. The neck tension created by these sizing dies are more than sufficient to keep the bullet in place.

During trimming, I heavily bevel the inside of the case mouth, which makes it a lot easier to seat the bullet.

As for the Lee Factory Crimp Die. It is real easy to damage bullets using that die. I used a LFCD on 308 SMK's, followed instructions. Only after I pulled the bullets did I find that I had swaged the bullets exactly like the picture below.

These are 6.5 mm SMK bullets, given a "light" crimp in the LFCD.

As for the statements that LFCD improves accuracy, I have never meet any Highpower competitor, and I have been squadded with a lot of National Match winners, that ever used a LFCD. If there was the slightest bit of accuracy improvement, everyone would use it.

I only crimp cast bullets in rifle calibers. Maybe crimping is good for elephant gun rounds. (Elephants in the deep south, they better run for the swamps if they see me crimping!)

Definitely not needed in the .223 with good bullets.