The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 19, 2009, 12:13 AM   #1
Plaz

Base plate

I have a Hornady LNL press on order. I would like to mount it on a base plate on my workbench. Does anyone know what material and size that base plate has to be to safely handle the loads of the press.

I was thinking of using 5/8 inch 6061-T6 aluminum plate. Do you think that is capable of doing the job?
Old March 19, 2009, 07:13 AM   #2
MDB

I have both of my press' mounted on an 1/4" aluminium plate on top of the 2x12 work bench. I like it and IMHO it is easier to keep clean.
Old March 19, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
remshooter

I have mine bolted to 1/2" aluminum plate and then that bolted to the table.
5/8" should serve you well.
Old March 19, 2009, 08:06 PM   #4
mactex

I'm just using a piece of 5/8" plywood.
Old March 21, 2009, 09:45 PM   #5
Plaz

I intend to tap holes in the base plate and thread it to screw bolts to the plate (no nuts) so that I can more easily remove the press from the plate when not in use. I would bolt the plate to the bench with bolts and nuts.

I would like to know if any of you use this approach and what thickness of aluminum plate is required with this approach?
Old March 22, 2009, 06:23 AM   #6
Rembrandt

My preference is a high density plastic like PVC. Can be drilled, cut, and routed with woodworking tools, doesn't warp or absorb fluids, won't scratch bench surface and can be had in any dimension. Mounting holes can be counter bored or countersunk.

Old March 22, 2009, 07:59 PM   #7
Plaz

Rembrandt:

Your use of PVC is very interesting.

From your response I cannot tell what kind of fasteners you are using. Can you please tell me what kind of fasteners you are using for the press, and to fasten the plate to the bench?

I look forward to your response.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:21 PM   #8
Rembrandt

Fasteners are 1/4-20 bolts and T-nuts that slide into 80/20* extrusion rail. (* Trade name)

Flat heads hold the loader to the base plate, the hole is not tapped, rather a thru hole with lock nut.

Last edited by Rembrandt; March 22, 2009 at 08:55 PM.
Old March 22, 2009, 08:34 PM   #9
remshooter

Quote:
I intend to tap holes in the base plate and thread it to screw bolts to the plate (no nuts) so that I can more easily remove the press from the plate when not in use. I would bolt the plate to the bench with bolts and nuts.

I would like to know if any of you use this approach and what thickness of aluminum plate is required with this approach?
That is exactly what I did. I used 3/8" flat head bolts to bolt the plate to the bench top and the plate is tapped for 3/8" holes for the press.
Old April 10, 2009, 08:04 PM   #10
Plaz

I was going to clamp the base plate to the bench but the doors on my bench create a problem with clamps, so I will have to bolt the base plate to the bench.

I drilled and tapped the two holes to attach the press to the base plate. Since two 5/16 bolts hold the press very well to the base plate with two clamps holding the plate to the bench, shouldn't I be able to use just 2 bolts to bolt the base plate to the bench?

I would like to hear some opinions on this from those of you with experience. I will use either two or four 5/16 fine thread bolts, depending on your recommendations. I have a 3/4 inch base plate. drilling the holes is not easy for me, since I do not have a drill press. That is why I am making an issue of the number of bolts to use.

Thank you so much. your responses are great.
Old April 11, 2009, 07:44 AM   #11
ems-1

Quote:
I'm just using a piece of 5/8" plywood.
Me too! I can't afford all that fancy material.
Old April 11, 2009, 10:27 AM   #12
remshooter

Quote:
I would like to hear some opinions on this from those of you with experience. I will use either two or four 5/16 fine thread bolts, depending on your recommendations. I have a 3/4 inch base plate. drilling the holes is not easy for me, since I do not have a drill press. That is why I am making an issue of the number of bolts to use.
Two bolts into the table will be fine. Put them toward the back of the plate so when you are pushing down the press doesn't want to tilt toward you. As long as you are even with the press bolts or more you will be good to go.