The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 2, 2002, 05:41 PM   #1
Sisco

Trijicon install on SP101

My Trijicon front sight is on its way, is this an easy install or should I take it to a 'smith?
It's my understanding the new sight won't be drilled for the roll pin, my plan was to gently clamp it in place then drill it out on a drill press.
The roll pin holding the factory sight on is barely visible, looks like they did final finishing after it was intstalled. Will have to find a very small punch to get it out.
Any advice here would be appreciated!
Old January 3, 2002, 09:30 AM   #2
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Sk, you've got the right idea. Use the base as the "jig" for drilling the sight. George
Old January 5, 2002, 08:39 PM   #3
Sisco

Sight came in today, piece of cake to install.
Hardest part was two trips to Sears, one for a 1/16" pin punch, then once home discoved my 1/16" drill bit was broken.
Old January 6, 2002, 01:41 PM   #4
MikeK

SK;

I'm thinking of doing the same thing myself. Any tips or precautions you recommend? The only drill press I have is a stand for an electric drill.
Old January 7, 2002, 11:11 AM   #5
Sisco

I didn't use a press, was going to 'borrow' one but couldn't get to it. My drill has a bubble level and I just went by that.
Holding the new sight in place while drilling was the trick, finding the right size clamp that wouldn't hold too tight yet still be able to get the gun and clamp into the vice.