The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 2, 2010, 04:06 PM   #1
Abel

New To The T/C Hawken Rifle

Hello folks. I am about to get serious about black powder. I've got a bunch of maxiballs, some Goex FFFg, #11 caps, a T/C powder measuring tool, some store bought grease for the maxiballs, and 2 T/C Hawken Rifles. What else should I need? How do you know how much powder is in the measuring tool if its not marked with anything but little notches. I am guessing that it holds 50-120 grains with the 50 setting being the tool completely collapsed/closed. Help?
Old February 2, 2010, 05:09 PM   #2
Pahoo

Oh my !! ..
You really are getting serious. Lots to ponder here and first off, your Hawken Model is rated for a may load of 120grns. You powder measure has a range of 50-120 as you have noted. You will be fine on your FFFG, and the #11's. May I suggest you start with a PRB and enjoy that for a spell. Nothing wrong with your Maxi's, I just always recommend PRB's to start with. May I also suggest the following;

Short Starter
#11 Capper
.490 Round Balls
.015 Lubed patches
Tube of Bore Butter.
.50 cal. brush & swab.
CVA brass Powder flask
Extra nipple
Nipple Wrench
Nipple pick (you can make your own)
Good old #13 solvent or Balistol
Patch jag
Screw jag
Scraper jag
Cleaning jag

Be Safe !!!

Last edited by Pahoo; February 2, 2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old February 2, 2010, 05:28 PM   #3
Abel

Quote:
Good old #13 solvent or Balistol,
What is this?

Quote:
Nipple pick (you can make your own)
Explain how please.

Quote:
Patch jag
Screw jag
Scraper jag
Cleaning jag
What are all those for? I'm guessin' the screw jag is for pulling the ball out unfired.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:02 PM   #4
mykeal

No. 13 is made by, or rather marketed by, Thompson Center, should be available at any good black powder/muzzleloading supplier. Ballistol is made by, well, Ballistol. It's a little harder to find - you might have to look in the fishing supplies section. Both are mineral oil based cleaning solvents that are very good at cleaning the bore between shots in the field and even at home (although I prefer the soap and water for the latter). Many people, myself included for a few years, used Ballistol as a rust preventative between shooting sessions. I also use it as a dry patch lube, diluted 1:6 with water, then dried.

Make a nipple pick out of a thin piece of wire.

Patch jag is a jag with two thin coiled wires that will fish a loose patch out of the bore.

Screw jag has a wood screw or machine screw type of thread that you can use to screw into a ball that's stuck in the bore in the event of a failure to fire.

Scraper jag has a scraper on the end, kind of a thick blade you can use to scrape crud off the face of the breech plug.

Cleaning jag has ridges around the circumference that hold a cleaning patch when you push it into the bore.
Old February 2, 2010, 06:21 PM   #5
Pahoo

Just go here and look around. Might also add a manual and TC would be more than happy to provide you one. 1- (603) 332-2333
Know that there are other internet sites that provide this material.
80 grns. is listed as the optimum load for PRB
90 grns. is listed as teh optimum load for Maxi-Ball
Keep your max load at 110grns.

http://www.possibleshop.com/menu-shooting-supplies.html

Be Safe !!!
Old February 2, 2010, 06:21 PM   #6
Abel

So, is bore butter a good maxiball lube?
Old February 2, 2010, 06:27 PM   #7
Pahoo

Quote:
So, is bore butter a good maxiball lube?
Yes, but there are better lubes for this purpose and I use the Lyman products and my own recipe.

Thanks mykeal ...

Be Safe !!!
Old February 3, 2010, 07:45 AM   #8
simonkenton

I too recommend that you start out with the patched round ball.
This rifle is pretty accurate with the round ball, and this is the same load that Davy Crockett shot.
I have killed quite a bit of big game with my TC Hawken and the .490 patched round ball.
Old June 14, 2010, 10:09 PM   #9
Abel

Thanks to everyone who answered my questions. I am looking forward to some range time with both of these rifles.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:44 AM   #10
Rifleman1776

If you are really getting serious about muzzle loading, you would use something much better than a TC (not)Hawken, you would use patched round balls, not Maxi-balls and, most certainly, there would be no guessing about charges.
Find an experienced muzzle loader and get hands on expert advice.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:22 PM   #11
Abel

Sounds like you know everything about it. Where do I send my $19.95 for your DVD?

I think I can probably figure this stuff out without straining my brain too much. I will never get rid of either of my T/C not-Hawken rifles. They were owned by my dad & my uncle. I'll use every one of the maxi balls until they are shot up. Then I may try some round .49's with a patch. As for the guessing about charges, that would seem to be a very surmountable obstacle. The conical maxi balls use 90 +/- and I'll start at 65 and work up. Maybe I'll be able to scrape by and manage to somehow kill a deer with my T/C Hawken rifles this deer season. It'll be tough, but I'm a trooper.
Old June 15, 2010, 07:34 PM   #12
Hawg

90 grs was a good load with my Investarms Hawken and a maxi ball. However do experiment with different loads. Not all rifles shoot the same.
Old June 15, 2010, 08:57 PM   #13
B.L.E.

Quote:
If you are really getting serious about muzzle loading, you would use something much better than a TC (not)Hawken, you would use patched round balls, not Maxi-balls and, most certainly, there would be no guessing about charges.
Serious in what way? If you dress in authentic pre-1840 fur trapper clothing and are a stickler for authenticity, you won't be happy with a TC Hawken.

However, you see a lot of TC rifles on the firing line of muzzle loading matches, many of them highly customized including slow twist barrels for patched round balls.
I have even won matches with the stock 1 in 48 inch "compromise twist" barrel using patched round balls.

I have found that Maxi balls don't group well until you reach nearly maximum loads, then suddenly they become quite accurate.
Old June 20, 2010, 12:59 AM   #14
Gator Weiss

TC Hawken is a classic

The Hawken is one of the best BP rifles you are ever going to find. I have one in .50 (perc) that I have been shooting since I received it in 1988. I have never had to do anything but clean it. It still shoots as good as the day I got it. It will last a lifetime, and TC is excellent hardware. I think you got hold of a keeper.
Old June 20, 2010, 06:51 AM   #15
Abel

I've got two of them!
Old June 20, 2010, 11:27 AM   #16
Jbar4Ranch

I found my 1:48 .54 cal T/C Hawken prefers a PRB to a conical, and shoots much better toward the upper end of the loading spectrum - 120 grains will typically put 'em all into two inches or less at 50 yards, and an inch & a half is more the norm.

SASS 47015
Old June 20, 2010, 10:15 PM   #17
starbuck125

i agree with hawg,
about most ,if not all rifles shooting different, all got that perfect combo.. of powder, ball...fun is finding what you and your rifle, pistol like the best.
Old June 21, 2010, 06:33 AM   #18
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rifleman1776

The TC Hawken may not be a historically correct rifle but I have never experienced one that didn't shoot well, rb or mb with the right powder charge.

It's not the equipment that makes you a serious shooter, it's your attitude.
Old June 21, 2010, 04:26 PM   #19
Hawg

Quote:
The TC Hawken may not be a historically correct rifle
Not for a Hawken no but not a bad substitute for a late 70's Tryon trade rifle.
Old June 21, 2010, 09:11 PM   #20
simonkenton

The "historically correct" guys dislike the TC Hawken.

Well and good, it is not a replica of a rifle that would have been found in the Rocky Mountains in 1845. It has too much brass and is not an exact replica.

But it is a beautiful rifle, it is well made, it is a great game-getter and it is American made.

I can see where the purists are coming from, but, I love the TC Hawken and I have killed lots of game with mine.

Some day, I may get a genuine American Hawken rifle from Lyman. Perfect replica of the 1845 Rocky Mountain Hawken. Beautiful rifle. Great shooter.

Made in Italy.
Old June 22, 2010, 08:26 AM   #21
mykeal

Not sure what rifle Lyman makes that is a perfect replica of one of J&S Hawken's products; I own two Lyman Great Plains Rifles and neither is a replica of a Hawken. They are very good examples of a typical 1870's plains rifle, but they are not by any means a true Hawken replica.

I also own T/C Hawkens; I think most of the purists are not so much unhappy with them as a rifle (for they are excellent black powder rifles) as they are with the fact that Thompson Center used the name Hawken to identify it. I suspect they'd agree it's a good, even fine, rifle, but it shouldn't carry the name Hawken.

If one really wants a true Hawken replica, contact the custom rifle builder Don Stith at the St. Louis Plains Rifle Co (http://www.donstith.com/). He's the only source I know of for that genre.
Old June 22, 2010, 04:54 PM   #22
Hawg

Mike Lange built mine from scratch from blueprints and didn't cost near what a Stith would. All the furniture is hand made except for nose cap.

Old June 22, 2010, 06:33 PM   #23
mykeal

Beautiful example. I didn't know he had done that.
Old June 22, 2010, 07:12 PM   #24
Hoss Fly

Quote:
Beautiful example. I didn't know he had done that.
Mike (Mongrel) does BEAUTIFUL work
He's also one of the most knowedgeable (sp) traditional muzzelloader builders, shooters & FANATICS around today