The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 6, 2016, 02:06 PM   #26
jerryp01

Safe Queen

Oh the good old days. Back in the 90's I must have bought and sold 400 SKS. Could buy them for 79.00 and sell them for 125.00. I still have 4 Chinese Model 56 laying around somewhere still packed in grease. Didn't know they had increased in value that much. Will be getting these cleaned up and into my safe. Really worth 400.00 each now? I always considered them pretty much as junk. Well, one man's junk is another man's Treasure.
Old July 6, 2016, 08:10 PM   #27
Rich_357

Quote:
Oh the good old days. Back in the 90's I must have bought and sold 400 SKS. Could buy them for 79.00 and sell them for 125.00. I still have 4 Chinese Model 56 laying around somewhere still packed in grease. Didn't know they had increased in value that much. Will be getting these cleaned up and into my safe. Really worth 400.00 each now? I always considered them pretty much as junk. Well, one man's junk is another man's Treasure.
No no no...don't do that. They're worth crap; I'll give you $150 a piece for them! I'm generous!

Really, there are so many Chinese out there that it depends on the year, the model and the condition. I love this guys site......
http://www.georgestragand.com/gunsto...et/search.html
Old July 7, 2016, 03:58 AM   #28
smee78

I too wish I had kept a few SKS's but am glad I picked up my AK's. They are a lot smaller and suite my purposes just fine. I prefer the detachable mags and the light weight, simple design. I like my beater WASR's just fine for what they are, not comparing them to an AR or SKS. Good luck with your decision.
Old July 7, 2016, 01:23 PM   #29
peggysue

I have 2 Yugo SKS. I have 5 WASRs, 1 YUGO folder,1 Norinco sniper style,1 Valmet Hunter, 1 Galil, 1 mini AK pistol, and a micro AK Pistol. They accumulate over the decades. Even more AR's however.
I fell AKs are better than SKS. Which could be why all the countries got rid of SKS's. Lots of aftermarket stuff for AK.

Funny part Century Arms brought them all to the USA

Last edited by peggysue; July 7, 2016 at 01:46 PM.
Old July 9, 2016, 07:47 PM   #30
shep854

Look up the AK Owner's Union, Local 47-74 (or, simply AKOU) on YouTube. Rob Ski, a Polish immigrant who served in the Polish army and now serves in the National Guard, does thorough testing on various AK-pattern rifles.
Currently he is doing 5000 rd tests, while being careful to not overheat the rifles, and continually testing for headspace and unusual wear.

Also, check out the AK Files ( http://www.akfiles.com/forums/index.php ) for lots of AK-specific discussion (and argument )
----
On topic, a great value in a tough AK is the WASR 10. They are imported new builds from Romania and made compliant here in the States. For a while, they were of very questionable quality when released for sale, but over the last few years, WASRs have been tanks, for a good price

Last edited by shep854; July 9, 2016 at 07:55 PM.
Old July 13, 2016, 02:16 AM   #31
Ignition Override

shep854 beat me to it. I spent many hours reading evaluations of various makes.
There is actually some really good praise for the newer Century WASR 10s.

Even Rob-Ski recommended it on the AK Oper. Union video (along the the Polish from Atlantic Firearms), based on very moderate wear on internal components after 3,500, maybe 5,000 rds.

The only reason I spent a heap on a Mak 90 (which popped up) is because Nobody near Memphis offered any Used WASR 10 via Armslist TN, about a month ago. Or they never responded to e-mails, offering to pay the list price.
Romainia reportedly stopped WASR exports to the US (more profit elsewhere), so expect continuous price increases, at least on those in retail shops.
Old July 13, 2016, 06:23 AM   #32
shep854

Actually, Ignition Override, I kind of rolled the dice and came up sixes.
When I actually bought the WASR, I looked for sight cant and overall fit & finish--and price. I figured otherwise, AKs were pretty much the same. I really started reading up after the purchase, and learned about how widely AK quality varies...AND how AK snobs can be as stuck up as any AR fanboi...
Old July 13, 2016, 06:34 AM   #33
SCDeac82

Good AK

Century C39 V2
U.S. Made
Milled Reciever
Wood Stock
"No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." -- Thomas Jefferson
Old July 14, 2016, 03:14 PM   #34
Fishbed77

Quote:
Good AK
Century C39 V2
U.S. Made
Milled Reciever
Wood Stock
Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.Nope.

C39 V2 money can get you a much better-made AK.

Aside from some of the DDI models, being a U.S.-made AK isn't something to brag about.