The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 6, 2014, 05:03 AM   #1
takem23

Manual suggestions

Ordering a lee progressive press. What would be a good reloading manual to start with. I want to reload plated 9mm. Like berrys bullets or similar. Wasn't sure if certain manual cover those type of bullets.
Thanks
Old March 6, 2014, 06:09 AM   #2
steveno

Lyman #49 and the manuals of the bullet manufacturers that you intend to use
Old March 6, 2014, 09:07 AM   #3
takem23

Are there books that's cover for all theses small bullet companies online? I'll definitely be bargain shopping for bullets.
Old March 6, 2014, 09:07 AM   #4
mnoirot64

I have the newest manuals from Nosler, Hornady and Lyman. Having multiple manuals gives me more choices with regards to powder, primer, bullet type and bullet weights. I also use all of the powder companies' websites for reloading data. I will also add that I never use anyone else's recipes unless I can corroborate them through a manual or powder manufacturer.
Old March 6, 2014, 10:25 AM   #5
Stavman11

I have the Lyman 49th as well, for sure get it

also get the One book/One Caliber Books

they only have Load data.. no How Too's but do give ya a wide variety of data At yer Fingertips
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 185458.jpg (65.5 KB, 195 views)
Old March 7, 2014, 08:21 PM   #6
jamaica

Another vote for Lyman #49. Good place to start.

If you have a favorite bullet manufacturer...... getting their manual too is a good idea.
Old March 7, 2014, 08:29 PM   #7
P5 Guy

Given the dearth of components from time to time; the more manuals the better. I too am a fan of those caliber specific handbooks.
Old March 8, 2014, 02:23 PM   #8
Damon555

Load books are an excellent choice. I have one for most of my rifle calibers....for a good all around manual there is none better than Lyman's 49th.
Old March 8, 2014, 04:23 PM   #9
Reloader2

I agree with going with the Lyman manual but I would suggest the Lee manual if you are just starting out. A lot of it talks about how Lee Precision got started and tends to push their products but it gives a pretty good explanation of the how's and whys without being too difficult to understand. I still like reading mine from time to time.
Old March 8, 2014, 05:57 PM   #10
Nick_C_S

Can never have too many manuals. For me, Speer #14 is the first one to go after. Always has been. Always will be. (I've been loading 30 years. Pistol only.)

Lyman 49 is very popular, and I have one - but I fall to see its broad appeal. But I'm thinking a whole bunch of people like it; and I don't know everything, so it's probably better than I realize.

I also have the Lee cast bullet manual - even though I don't cast. It's still a good loading reference.

I have Hornady. It tends to lean toward slower powders than my loading style; which clearly leans toward faster powders. So it and I rarely get along Yet, I'm still glad I have it (see my opening sentence).

And I also have Sierra. Sierra tends to give a very broad load range for each recipe. Which can be good or bad (I'll leave that one be for this post). That said, I find myself using it quite a bit.

Then there's those load guides The Complete Handloader, I think it is. A previous poster was kind enough to put up a pic of one. They're available at MidwayUSA. I have them for 38, 357, 9mm, & 45ACP. They're quite comprehensive.

And there's on-line data (powder manufacturer websites, etc). Which I'm sure can be very useful. And I do find myself using on-line data on rare occasion. But they're not really my style. I like manuals. I guess I'm just old school.
Old March 8, 2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

With the massive amount of data now available on-line and for free, having more than one manual is a waste of money. Paper manuals are for handy reference and The End of The World As We Know It.

Here is a thread listing all official, on-line data I have been able to find.
Old March 9, 2014, 03:34 AM   #12
Pond, James Pond

I have the Lyman 49th. It is a good starting and I like it but it was not the be all and end all as far as my needs went.

I don't live in the States and the components available are limited, if I'm being generous about it.

For me that has mean that I've never found my exact bullets listed since starting out with my first .44s and .38s. It did list one of the powders that I use for .44. It also lists lots of cast bullets. Useful for some, but for me only used when I bought cast bullets from Midway and the charge weights gave me a ball point figure for where to start. Even that had to be "ratified" by the TFL reloading committee!

So at present, any new loads I decide to embark on are never straight from the manual, but involve some cross-referencing, asking around, then a guesstimate as to what min and max charges should be. (the first shot always comes with a heavy apprehension! ). Many times the 49th is only marginally useful as I can't even find my bullet weight choice, let alone the type or model!

In addition, and more importantly in my opinion, there was no info in the methodology half of the book that dealt with things like crimp: what was a heavy crimp and what was not.
I had no idea: how fortuitous that TFL members were on hand to help. It is such a crucial aspect of loading that I felt it deserves more than a cursory mention here and there.

Similarly, another aspect that was missing from what I recall was information on which pressure signs to look for. That too came from TFL members.

So, in short, whilst packed with useful information, I'd say try and a) decide on your likely components (at least a short list of bullets and powders) and b) try have a look at some manuals to see if those choices are listed.

Read around (even the instructions that come with Lee dies give a decent overview of the sequence), search TFL for posts on crimp (also look at pictures of factory rounds in that bullet weight) and over pressure signs, look at get nice and comfortable with the process of reloading, the different stages and what they are designed to achieve in the final product.

I hope my musings, from the perspective of someone who also started reloading with a head devoid of info on the subject and only one Lyman 49th, help!

Last edited by Pond, James Pond; March 9, 2014 at 03:54 AM. Reason: Sunday morning grammar
Old March 9, 2014, 05:32 PM   #13
pathdoc

Lee's "Modern Reloading" is good in that it gathers together a lot of loads from all other companies and presents loads that are (allegedly) suitable for any bullet of a given weight, independent of manufacturer. Some powder manufacturers also do this.

When all else fails, approach the bullet manufacturer. They may be able to give you generic ground rules (e.g. "use data as if for brand X...") or specific start/max loads.
Old March 9, 2014, 08:43 PM   #14
fretless33

I have:

Richard Lee's Modern Reloading (has way more powders and examples...not brand specific)

Lyman 49th

Hornady's Manual

ABC's of Reloading
Old March 9, 2014, 09:53 PM   #15
Clark

I don't always use load manuals, but when I do, I prefer Sierra.
"Ad hominem fallacy" is not the same as point by point criticism of books. If you bought the book, and believe it all, it may FEEL like an ad hominem attack, but you might strive to accept other points of view may exist.
Are we a nation of competing ideas, or a nation of forced conformity of thought?
Old March 10, 2014, 03:56 AM   #16
Brotherbadger

I like Lyman, the bullet manufacturer(Speer, Hornady, ect) and the powder manufacturer's data if possible(often available on their website). After that, Lee makes a good manual.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old March 10, 2014, 01:09 PM   #17
mxsailor803

Lyman 49th. Can't go wrong with that manual. I also use Hornady. Not the newest but the edition before the current updated one.
Old March 11, 2014, 01:55 AM   #18
savagest

Sierra here. Lots of loads with different powders. I load 308 and 40sw.
Old March 14, 2014, 05:27 PM   #19
RentaCop

The Lee manual.
Lyman #49

I still like my old Hodgdon #26.
Old March 14, 2014, 07:52 PM   #20
Pugsbrew

I would suggest the Lee manual, which explains a lot of their equipment. Also, I would highly recommend a tour through these web sites:

http://forums.loadmastervideos.com/f...wforum.php?f=2

and:

http://www.loadmastervideos.com

And to buy Lee equipment:

http://www.titanreloading.com
Old March 14, 2014, 08:18 PM   #21
Argyle

You can shop Bookfinder.com for used reloading manuals, I just purchased the Speer # 13 manual for $24.95 shipping included.
Old March 14, 2014, 08:24 PM   #22
iraiam

IMO Data is king.

+1 on the Lyman #49 It has a good mix of bullet weights, and component manufacturers for all common calibers.

I personally own 17 loading manuals going back quite a few years. I'll probably buy much less manuals in the future as a lot of information is available freely on manufacturers web sites these days.

"I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few public officials." George Mason
Old March 15, 2014, 11:38 AM   #23
WESHOOT2

There IS NO "one manual"

The post above is correct; Data is King.
One cannot have too much data.

I recommend handgun-cartridge loaders start with a Lyman Pistol & Revolver No 2 or 3, for process.

Then add Accurate, Speer, Sierra, Hornady, Hodgdon, and more. More more more.
Then learn how to understand it