The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 11, 2013, 02:32 PM   #1
Noz

Ya wanna cry with me?

A casual friend asked me yesterday if I shot black powder. I told him I did. He said he had several items related to black powder he would give to me.
He said his father in law had recently died and when cleaning out his things they found a (my interpretation of the story) "36 caliber black powder revolver". It had been given to him as a gift when he was very young. I told him I was very interested in the revolver.
He said it was old and rusty and they threw it in the dumpster which had been hauled away.
Old June 11, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
bedbugbilly

Arrrrrgggg!!!!! Why do people do these things? I've had it happen to me - not with guns but military uniforms, etc. I guess it all boils down to "one man's junk is another man's treasure". Sorry to hear of your loss . . . . and yea, I'll shed a few tears with you! As they say . . . "misery loves company". But, tomorrow is another day!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old June 11, 2013, 02:53 PM   #3
robhof

robhof

To add insult to injury, it was probably a real antique. A friend of mine many years ago was riding his bike in his neighborhood on garbage day and saw a set of barrels sticking out of a trash can. He stopped and looked at them and they were from a Browning Citori, he asked the owner, a little old lady if he could take them and she said the other part is in there too, her husband had died and she didn't want it in the house, he found the stock/receiver and brought it home. He told me about it and I asked if he would sell it and he said he pawned it for $100, so I know your pain.
Old June 11, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4
arch308

That is a crying shame. No telling what it was.
Old June 12, 2013, 09:34 AM   #5
PetahW

Spilled milk . (sniffle) (sob)

Old June 12, 2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Noz

OK. Dial back the tears a little. Family story obviously got a bit exaggerated. Not an antique. Stuff came with a styrofoam gun packing . Imprint is of a target style Remington. (Imprint of adjustable rear sight)
Powder is Pyrodex P.
Caps are CCI.
Some interesting stuff.
Two turned brass in-line cappers with double spring jaws.
150 gr brass powder measure.
Nice flask with 30 gr spout.
Two packages of pistol wads. They are made of plastic. The instructions say to charge the chamber. Place the "wad" on top of the powder. Place a small amount of "grease"( package contains a pound of waterproof packing grease) on top of the wad then seat the ball.
3 boxes of 451 round balls.
Handwritten receipt from Tulsa Shooters Supply, Inc. for caps, capper, flask,patches and powder measure. Receipt date 1982.

So a few usable things. Not the treasure trove I forsaw but better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Old June 12, 2013, 12:46 PM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

Even though it's a replica,

Some garbage man/scavenger is probably very happy.
Old June 12, 2013, 01:30 PM   #8
Dan_D

Well, not as bad as you feared, but it still would have been neat to have a free project to work on .
I hope you can get some use out of the things you did get (though why they would throw the gun out before the accessories is beyond me) and like you said, they're better than a stick in the eye
Dan
Old June 20, 2013, 10:33 PM   #9
medalguy

A relief. I was afraid it was going to turn out to be a Colt Navy.
Old June 21, 2013, 07:27 AM   #10
g.willikers

On a recent Pawn Stars show, a lady brings in a collectible handgun that had originally been fitted with a shoulder stock.
She threw the stock away.
The expert who checked the gun over said the stock alone would have been worth 5K.
Tears all around.
Old June 21, 2013, 09:36 AM   #11
Pahoo

We have to do a better job !!!

A Good friend of mine, related a story to me, of a widow, that had a bunch of guns sitting around that belonged to her deceased husband. He was a WWII veteran who left no information for his wife on their disposition. Eventually she got nervous about having them around so little by little, she put them in the garbage until they were all gone. My friend stated that he knew of one, being a P-38 bring-back. I have seen situations like this and fellas, we have to do a better job at supporting our wives, before and after. .....

Another friend works at one of those modern landfill/Recyclable places and he tells me that you would not believe the stuff that folks are throwing away. He has found a few guns and plenty of ammo. He once gave me a bucket of wheel weights. ....

Document and;
Be Safe !!!
Old June 21, 2013, 09:50 PM   #12
James K
Member In Memoriam

And sometimes they don't get thrown out. A friend who has only a moderate interest in guns was given an "old gun in a box" by a widow who didn't want it in the house. It was a cased fluted 1860 Army in 100% original condition, unfired, with accessories. Even the casing was near perfect. He didn't want to keep it but (with some coaching) got a very nice price from a local collector/dealer.

Jim
Old June 23, 2013, 10:27 AM   #13
newfrontier45

If you don't know, you don't know. What would be a prized possession to a shooter or collector is just old junk to some. Sad but true. Now if somebody will just give me an "old gun in a box" I can die happy.