The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 10, 2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Skans

No love for the Tavor???

I was just looking through gunbroker to see what Tavors are actually selling for. There are 330 Tavors listed for sale on Gunbroker......and a grand total of 7 bidders looking to buy one. The highest bid being $1,300.

Supply and Demand economics tells me that these guns are priced way too high for the market.
Old July 10, 2015, 08:55 AM   #2
Grizz12

I've handled one but didnt get the chance to shoot it. I liked it though
Old July 10, 2015, 09:22 AM   #3
Fishbed77

Lots of love for it.

But it's expensive and most folks find that a less-expensive AR-15 does the job for them.
Old July 10, 2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Ibmikey

I shot a friends Tavor, different shooting but sent those little pills downrange like it was designed to. Kind of homely looking and i can build two nice AR's for the price.
Old July 10, 2015, 10:24 AM   #5
tirod

Internet hype meets financial reality. Tavor fans are now in the unenviable position of either ponying up the coin or going back underground - for the next wave of hype.

It's happened before - read up on the Magpul Masada. When the price hit the screens the fans started screaming, their fantasy gun so much better than the AR15 suddenly was going to take a chunk out of their disposable income.

Lots of these guys live second hand, their idol sitting on the shelf being available is really all they plan to enjoy. They never had the money saved up or planned to buy it.

That's why we don't see a lot of "nice" projects come to market - the money mavens suss out the real demand and can tell how much of the interest is actually vapor. Even the "kickstarter" pledges come to grief a lot of times, the managers rake in great coin and disappear.

$1300 too high? Ok. We'll see. Tavor fans can wait for the price to drop, or even until they show up in a gun store, but there's a date on the calendar when they have to make a decision - spend the coin, or let it go.

I'm betting a lot weren't even saving the money up. Vapor demand for a product they never intended to buy.
Old July 10, 2015, 10:46 AM   #6
wogpotter

I got the chance to fire one recently. The odd "trigger guard", similar to the AUG's style, mandates a very heavy trigger.
That was enough to put me off.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old July 10, 2015, 01:47 PM   #7
Erno86

I have to double-up on hearing protection, if my shooting bench on the range is next to a Tavor shooter.

--- George Orwell
Old July 10, 2015, 03:46 PM   #8
DanTSX

What's so great about it?

Never been impressed by any bullpup.

Any military that uses a bullpup for standard issue, their special ops guys use M4 / C7 derivatives. Most bullpup are industrial welfare for domestic arms industries IMO.
Old July 10, 2015, 04:11 PM   #9
skizzums

I think most people like it. I love it. But it doesn't fill a role that my AR's don't already, so the odds of me paying in the mid 1k for a 2moa rifle are slim.900$ would be the max for me. I like the ergo and the lightweight feel, and I like bullpups in general.
Old July 13, 2015, 08:44 PM   #10
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Lots of love for it.

But it's expensive and most folks find that a less-expensive AR-15 does the job for them.
That's it-give me one for the cost of a decent AR, and I'll buy one yesterday.
Old July 13, 2015, 08:57 PM   #11
Dragline45

I actually really like them, though it's not a top priority for me right now. With what I spent on my AR I could have gotten a Tavor, but given the choice I would still take the AR as I prefer it over bullpup style rifles.
Old July 14, 2015, 08:34 AM   #12
Wishoot

Maybe someday I'll own a Tavor, but right now, they're too expensive and I have absolutely no need for one.
Old July 14, 2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Glockstar .40

I love my tavor!! It was a bit spendy though. I paid 1700 for mine . I like having a 16" barrel in a 26" package. Takes a little getting used too if your used to AR platforms but it's not bad... 1 trip to the range and I got used to it.
Old July 14, 2015, 07:03 PM   #14
focodude

I got a Tavor with 16.5" barrel around 8 months ago. I really like the ergonomics and short overall length of the Tavor. It's more comfortable for me to hold and shoot for extended periods than my AR-15. I can walk through my house down the hallway and open doors while holding the Tavor. It feels clumsy for me when I do this with my AR-15.

I still like my AR-15 and have no plans on selling it. Having said that, I prefer the Tavor to an AR-15.

When compared against an SBR AR-15 I think the Tavor comes out on top. The 16.5" barrel Tavor's overall length is shorter than my buddy's 7.5" barrel SBR AR-15 and the Tavor is A LOT quieter! I shot them side by side and was surprised by the difference. With the Tavor I don't have to deal with NFA paperwork or worry about different state NFA regulations. Last but not least, the Tavor has a higher bullet velocity than an SBR. To me, all of these things are significant. I understand other people may come to a different conclusion.
Old July 15, 2015, 12:30 PM   #15
Dirty_Harry

I absolutely love my Tavor. I put a 1-4 optic on it and it's darn near the perfect rifle. Trigger is very heavy, but crisp and a good reset. It's not really as bad as people make it out to be. Certainly not worth spending $300 on an aftermarket unit.

Since having this, I shoot my Ar's less and less.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old July 17, 2015, 08:33 PM   #16
johnwilliamson062

I have considered buying a Tavor, but I would want the integrated sight and the price of that model is way too high for me to consider buying a new one(IDF). Very few used ones on the market. Some 9mm kits are decently priced though.
Old July 17, 2015, 11:34 PM   #17
krinko

Some visual love---

IDF model.

Green One.

The rifle feels so good when I strap in to it that I have no problem dealing with the fact that it isn't an AR.
-----krinko
Old July 19, 2015, 07:53 AM   #18
kcub

I handled one and hated it. No balance, too butt heavy.

I'd go FN for bullpup for ambi everything. AUGs are also very good and reversible.
Old July 19, 2015, 04:31 PM   #19
krinko

"AUGs are also very good and reversible."

The Tavor is reversible as well.
-----krinko
Old August 7, 2015, 03:15 PM   #20
Desertguns

Took a while, but how about both?

Not many shooters start out with the ability to own multiple platforms, but after a couple decades in the workforce, options begin to present themselves. I've been using M16s / M4s / ARs for 25 years, and I love 'em - own a couple myself (to include a 10.5" SBR). BUT, I'm a leftie. So after a few years looking at different makes, brands, and designs, I was quite happy to get my Tavor FDE just over a year ago. And to me, the term "completely ambidextrous" means just that: COMPLETELY. That's where the AUG and FN are lacking; sure everything else is changeable, but oh yeah, that silly charging handle is stuck, not good for a southpaw...

Took only two trips to the range to become familiar and comfortable with the manual-of-arms, and after a few months I was able to run it through my agency's qualification course, scoring expert. A previous post mentioned having a full 16" barrel in a package shorter than an SBR, and mine is just that: half-inch shorter than my 10.5" LMT with its stock COLLAPSED!

Other posts are correct though, it is a pricey gun, and for that it should have a better trigger in it - mine averaged 11.5 to 12 lbs, and its sad but bullpups are inherently like that. Just a few weeks ago I put the Super Sabra trigger pack in, now she averages 4.5 lb. pulls. Not dangerously light, but enough to feel deliberate, and much smoother. My accuracy (using a 4X power scope) also improved to 1.2" groups @100yds using factory match ammo - nothing to write home about, but certainly good enough to get the job done.

I'd have to say that if I were only allowed to own two rifles (for whatever reason), I'd pick my Tavor and my full-size AR. Just MHO, but why not both?
Old August 7, 2015, 07:50 PM   #21
Tikka_shooter

"Everything you do with that weapon-you should be able to do it in the dark, at night, with your support hand only. Ya never know when your gun hand might get injured..." - My first Journeyman

That is what I dislike about bull pups is if I need to shoot with my weak side.
Old August 8, 2015, 12:50 AM   #22
johnwilliamson062

What is more difficult about shooting a Tavor one handed? Since it's weight is farther back I would think the balance would be better if supported only by shoulder and one hand.

I can more or less operate all my working pistols one handed with either hand, but I have never spent much time on that with rifles. Maybe that is where I went wrong.
Old August 8, 2015, 05:50 AM   #23
Model12Win

Isn't the IDF going to the micro Tavor as standard? It's got like a 13" bbl? I guess that'd be fine for urban combat, but I'd want the 16" version in a bullpup for the extra velocity and range.
Old August 8, 2015, 09:42 AM   #24
USMCGrunt

I love my Tavor. I get carbine length performance out of my ammunition out of a package that is shorter than my old GUU-5/P I had at my last job! I'm not putting up with the SBR paperwork BS and having a Tavor (or other bullpup), I don't have to. The down side is the heavier trigger (although removing the secondary sear spring or replacing the trigger pack with an aftermarket trigger are a couple of options) and different manual of arms. A lot of shooters out there have experience limited to their time with the M-16/M4 in their military service and are not comfortable with anything else. With a Tavor or any bullpup, that learning curve is a LOT steeper than conventional rifles.
Besides, having something like 13 AR's and 3 more AR-10s, I'll admit that I am burned out on the design. Nice rifles but I was looking for something different for a change. However, I don't see really anything but ARs really being popular with the masses. Every Cleatus, Bubba and Gomer out there (and there's a LOT of them) is buying the cheapest AR they can find that will go bang sending a bullet downrange. These people scoff at the idea of paying the asking prices of the Tavor since their budget AR "is just as good" in their minds so they leave Tavors and other higher priced rifles on the shelves. That's fine too because some people will never have these firearms outside the square range where they can bump fire at zombie targets with the cheapest steel cased ammo they can find. It's all good fun and more power to them. I just don't see them spending the extra money for a more expensive range toy.
Old August 9, 2015, 06:31 AM   #25
silvermane_1

well i would like to have a Tavor, but until i see one with a sub $1100 price, i won't own one, and when i did have close to the price point, i bought a SLR-106c instead.
Rugers:SR1911 CMD,MK 3 .22lr 6",Sec. Six '76 liberty .357 4",SRH .480 Ruger 7.5",Mini-14 188 5.56/.233 18.5", Marlins: 795 .22lr 16.5",30aw 30-30 20",Mossberg:Mav. 88 Tact. 12 ga, 18.5",ATR 100 .270 Win. 22",S&W:SW9VE
9mm 4",Springfield:XD .357sig 4", AKs:CAI PSL-54C, WASR 10/63, WW74,SLR-106c