The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 8, 2014, 02:38 PM   #26
Chili Palmer

Do you want a list of what you 'need' or a list of all the stuff you are going to 'want'... Which soon will make the list of 'need'.

Just don't let your wife ever ever see the list.
Old January 8, 2014, 02:51 PM   #27
mnoirot64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chili Palmer
Do you want a list of what you 'need' or a list of all the stuff you are going to 'want'... Which soon will make the list of 'need'.

Just don't let your wife ever ever see the list.
This is absolutely true. Your wants will soon become your needs. And keep the list away from prying eyes.

Clarksville, Tennessee
Old January 8, 2014, 03:05 PM   #28
mikld

Quote:
Originally Posted by William T. Watts
The primer needs to be below flush, the ONLY way that happens is a primer pocket uniformer. There are some tools indespensible this is one of them! William

This was my point yesterday. Inevitably, some primer pockets are not uniform. This will cause the primers to not seat fully. I used to use a primer pocket reamer to aid with getting the primers fully seated, but that did not always work. The primer pocket uniformer in this kit works awesome:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.co...&GO.x=0&GO.y=0

If you want consistent loads, which chamber well in your automatic pistol, this tool is invaluable.

Don't know how you guys seat/install primers, but in 30 years of puttin' primers in pockets I have had no problems seating primers in "un-uniformed" pockets. I don't remember the last failure to fire due to a mis-seated primer, it's been many years. I disregard "below flush dimensions", I just seat primers all the way to the bottom of the pocket. Works quite well in my semi-autos (even my M1 Garand), revolvers, and single shots so a Primer Pocket Uniformer is of no value to me...
Old January 8, 2014, 04:42 PM   #29
skizzums

yes mniorot, that means i have ZERO problems seating my primers, i dont know what you are using to seat your primers, or what kind of primers/brass you use, but i havent had a problem in a very long time, i had a problem at one point when i bought a thousand remington primers and that was the only time

i dont shoot a 1911, so i cant say what probs your having, but i check every bullet to make sure the primer is flush, and it always is