The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 26, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1
viper7342

Kel Tec P11 or SCCY CPX 2 Gen 2?

I will soon be purchasing either a Kel Tec P11 or a SCCY CPX 2 Generation 2, just to have something I can have handy when I don't want to or can't mess with concealing a larger weapon. I am looking mainly for first hand experience with these 2 weapons, reliability, accuracy at the range of intended use etc although opinions are welcome as well. I know that the SCCY has a liftime transferrable warranty and comes with 2 10 round magazines and the Kel Tec only comes with 1 10 rounder with 12 rounders available from the manufacturer as well as the ability to use both Smith model 59 and 69 magazines but I don't know anything about their warranty... I would also like to know if the issues with the slides cracking on the SCCY handguns has been resolved. Thanks in advance for all information anyone can provide to me.
Old October 26, 2011, 10:07 PM   #2
bacardisteve

I can only comment on the kel tec as i have never fired the other. My p11 gets carried daily as a bug. It fits almost anywhere and holds more rounds then similar sized weapons. The trigger is long and kinda heavy but after some time you will learn to find the break point and will be suprised by the accuracy you will get. Mine has seen over 2000 rds without a hitch save for 1 fte fired by my gf. It was her first handgun she ever fired other than a 22lr. I have even put 250rds of +p+ through her and that is what i carry in her. Its ugly but it works great. If memory serves the keltec also comes with a lifetime warrany. Its also made in the USA
Old October 26, 2011, 10:09 PM   #3
Bill DeShivs

The SCCY is a cheaper copy of the Keltec. I was not at all impressed with the ones I examined.
I have owned, carried, and used a P11 since they were introduced. I have 2 of them. They are very good little guns-well tested and refined. Why bother with a cheap copy?
Old October 26, 2011, 10:27 PM   #4
viper7342

Quote:
Why bother with a cheap copy?
Bill,
From everything I've been able to find, the Quality of manufacture on the SCCY pistols is pretty good, but the reliability is hit or miss. I was simply wondering if these issues had been resolved and asking the questions I asked in my original post, in order to make a more informed decision.
Old October 26, 2011, 10:43 PM   #5
CWKahrFan

Gen 2 SCCY's seem to be considerably better than Gen 1 from what I've read on the net...

Kind of a toss-up with the KT P11 now, I think... I have an SCCY Gen 1 which I've done major gunsmithing on to get it up to carry-standards reliability (... but it was a project). I love the size/weight/caliber/capacity of these for carry... Pity there aren't more choices in that size/price-range... The very popular Ruger SR9C is about an inch longer and 6 oz. heavier.
I think if Ruger made one the size of the 2 you're considering, it'd be a big seller too... Is an SR9C one you're considering too?

As much as I like the small double-stack 9s, I find myself carrying my Kahr CW9 most often these days... 7+1 feels like enough to me now and I like the thin-ness.

Which way are you leaning?
Old October 26, 2011, 10:59 PM   #6
viper7342

Quote:
Which way are you leaning?
CWKahrFan,
To be honest, I really don't know, at this point I can get the CPX 2 for $205.00 plus shipping and it does come with 2 magazines, but the reliability issues have me concerned. With the Kel Tec P11 the cheapest I can find is around $237.00 plus shipping for the one I want (the parkerized version) due to rust issues with the blued version, but, everyone that has them seems to have good luck in the reliability department at least from the comments and reviews I've read.
Old October 26, 2011, 11:15 PM   #7
CWKahrFan

Sounds like $ is a big consideration for you... I'd tend toward the KelTec... Reliability is, after all, the MOST important factor for carry.

Another note... ANY of the cheaper 9's sometimes need a little minor tweaking to get them running 100% smoothly so... don't be afraid to get some fine sandpaper and a decent small file and try some fluffing and buffing and lubing rather than get all frustrated at the first sign of trouble like some do. Like any tools, they respond pretty well to a little intelligent maintenance.

BTW, Bill DeShivs seems to know what he's talking about so I give his opinion a lot of weight... Another good reason to go with the KT.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; October 27, 2011 at 01:30 AM.
Old October 27, 2011, 12:33 AM   #8
Mosin44az

The Kel-tec P11 has at least established some reputation for reliability. It's been on the market for 15 years.

The other pistol has not established a good rep. Unless you are talking about a range toy, reliability is a crucial factor. Although Kel-tec is far from perfect, go Kel-tec on this one.
Old October 27, 2011, 12:36 AM   #9
chack

Kel tec also has a perfect customer service reputation. No company in the world is better.

Who knows about the SKKY?
Old October 27, 2011, 12:53 AM   #10
bdb benzino

If the difference is $40 or less, why even risk it? Kel tec all the way, and their customer service is awesome. The Sccy's seem to be unknown and definitely not known for reliability, don't go cheap when protection is the goal. Kel tec is affordable as is.
Old October 27, 2011, 02:41 AM   #11
viper7342

Quote:
Sounds like $ is a big consideration for you...
CWKahrFan,
While I own quite a few higher priced handguns I'm simply looking for something small and relatively cheap as well as reliable, while the difference between $205.00 and $237.00 is only $32.00, I as well as most people want to get the most bang for my buck. I have done a great deal of research on these 2 weapons, because I want something that I can just stick in my back pocket or clip in my waistband (with the optional carry clip) without having to belt on a holster. The Kel Tec was my first choice after reading the good reviews, however, I wanted to get the opinions of those who had used both, to determine whether or not the issues with the SCCY pistols had been resolved.
Old October 27, 2011, 06:01 AM   #12
excelerater

avoid SCCY......
worst handgun I ever picked up
Old October 31, 2011, 11:51 PM   #13
guardjim

Get the P11. You can't beat it for the price, reliability, and the support from the company. Mine came with a magazine I couldn't get the tenth round in so I called KelTec. They sent me a new magazine and a postage paid envelope to send the malfunctioning one back in. No questions asked. The new one works fine after hundreds of rounds of mixed ammo including my reloads. This is the only KelTec product I own but I really like it.
Old November 1, 2011, 07:41 PM   #14
scottycoyote

my p11 is one of the guns in my carry rotation....great gun for the price, no issues, fixed the long trigger pull with the white trigger stop mod and installed an armalaser laser site and a carryclip.
Old November 1, 2011, 08:21 PM   #15
Tactical Jackalope

My pop's carries one in Liberty City. Where he works. Bets his life on it. Sometimes that does bother me..wish he'd take one of mine like I've offered countless times. But he takes it as an insult... "/ after the firing pin broke from the first 3 times it was ever fired it's been.shot once. About 150 rounds. And was flawless. But still.....iffy...maybe I'll take it to my gunsmith so he can tweak it wherever he feels the need to. Gods hands are on that gun. I pray he never has to use it but if he does that it's as precise as a heat seeking missile. Plus, helps me sleep at night when I pray about that..

Sorry....

Anyways, yes....it's a decent gun I guess...but I'd just get something else if I were you.

SA 1911 - XD45 - G21sf - G22 - G27 - Hk USP 40 - SIG P226 E2 - Browning High-Power - S&W M19-3 - CZ-82 - S&W 642 - Remington 870
Old November 1, 2011, 08:43 PM   #16
CWKahrFan

Constantine... Are you talking about the Kel-Tec or the SCCY?
Old November 1, 2011, 09:09 PM   #17
Dr_2_B

I recommend the Kel-Tec highly.
Old February 2, 2012, 08:38 PM   #18
jaxgunslinger

The P11 is a much more reliable gun, get a set of Handle JR. grips, a trigger shoe, and some 15rd S&W 59 mags and you will be set.
Old September 24, 2012, 01:28 PM   #19
LantanaTX

I would bet Excelorator had a CPX-1. I belive there is a big difference between the original CPX-1 and the newer CPX-2 The SCCY has a much better trigger, and excellent look feel and contruction. To me the Kel Tec's looked more like a toy. I have also heard the Kel-Tex has a bunch more recoil. I have a few hundred rounds though my CPX-2 and not a single issue what so ever. Mine was manufatured in July of this year. I really believe they have worked the bugs out if this gun. I also think the person above makes a good point in that in this price range you are probably not getting the fluff n buff that might be standard in the expensive guns. A tiny amount of work might be a good idea. I haven't done anything to mine other than take it out of the box and go shoot it. I am a very please owner.
Old October 25, 2012, 12:10 PM   #20
Farrellj

I have both, plus a Glock 27 for conceal carry. And when i'm on duty i carry my glock. Mainly because my duty weapon is a glock 22. Now when i'm off duty, i was carring my Kel, but i picked up a Sccy awhile back for the wife, but i started to liked the feel of it. I've put 400 rounds through it, and i haven't one bad thing to say about it. I find when i leave the house, i tend to grab the Sccy over the Kel-tec, to carry off duty. All three of those guns, really aren't for taking to the range. They are for carry. And neither has failed me. The sccy fits in the back pocket of my jeans, I've pulled it twice, and both perps laid down as ordered. Really man. Go with what fits your grip, and how it will be used. All mine, have a handle, a firing pin, a barrel and will put a round on target.
Old October 25, 2012, 10:37 PM   #21
reaganmarine84

Vote for the CPX-2 hands down. I have one and love it!! The trigger lock that comes with it is just a nice bonus. I can tell you this. #1 it has a HEAVY,STRONG recoil spring. When I punch in a fresh loaded magazine and press the slide release,it slams forward with violent force. I know I have to really hold onto it or I'll lose it. It will probably get better with more rounds through it. Right now I've only put probably 100-150 rounds through it. #2 The magazines have rough pointed edges. Very uncomfortable. But a few minutes in front of the TV and a simple piece of file (I used a finger nail file for pete's sake) to just round off the edge and no more pointy edges. Great price.Great quality. No Problems. I think it is a bit wider than the P-11 though.
Taurus 24/7 Pro DS 9mm & .40;(2)Taurus OSS DS 9mm;Taurus OSS DS .40;Taurus 809;809 compact;840;PT709 "slim" SS;PT738;full size BUL Cherokee;SCCY CPX-2;Smith&Wesson BG .380;Arcus 98 DA;EAA witness P 9mm;I.O. inc. AK-47C;Zastava PAP;Mossberg 500 tactical;Marlin model 60.
Old October 26, 2012, 04:52 AM   #22
Sparks1957

I love my P-11
Old October 26, 2012, 04:13 PM   #23
Pico

No to the P-11

Save and spend a little bit more money or get a used something with better quality. No one should have to endure owning and shooting a P-11. Mine kept popping the trigger return spring.

Sorry to be a hater but I had a P-11 for 5 years and it got worse with time for me not better.

Recently priced a PF-9 and LC-9. Both were the same size and the KT was $30 cheaper like here. It took me 5 microseconds to decide to go with the Ruger.

Pico
Old October 26, 2012, 10:30 PM   #24
bitttorrrent

I might order the sccy myself.

I have shot the kel tek and I don't like it. Too much recoil - i just dont.

Now I just have to decide if I want the safety or not. Is the DA strong enough to not need the safety? For those of you who have handled one. I did not see at the NRA convention last fall. Handled one at Bass Pro and it was very nice.
Old October 26, 2012, 11:28 PM   #25
CWKahrFan

Quote:
Is the DA strong enough to not need the safety
IMO yes. I have had one w/safety and without. I much prefer without.