The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old December 20, 2012, 05:56 AM   #1
LockedBreech

My letter to Dick's Sporting Goods

Upon hearing that Dick's had decided to suspend sales of AR-15 rifles, I decided to write to their customer service. I welcome constructive critique to improve how I represent our community in the future.

There are some silly typos and it's on the short end. since I had to write the letter in one of those postage-stamp sized comment boxes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockedBreech
Dear Dick's customer service representative,

I know that time is precious, especially during the holiday season, so I'll try to keep this short out of consideration. To wit: You have lost my money.

This is not the usual idle, self-important, loud-mouthed retail complaint. I understand that my individual money doesn't mean a thing, and I completely understand the reason Dick's would drop AR-15 style rifles after the events in Connecticut. However, I find this solution unsatisfying, and the lack of principle behind it unsettling.

As a big Denver Broncos fan, I stop at a Westminster location every time I go to a game, which is frequent. We all meet at Dick's, buy a new piece of Broncos gear, and go to the game. It is a tradition I must regretfully suspend, which is a shame, since I plan to practice law in Colorado and was looking forward to a lifetime of spending at your establishments.

I understand the climate of political correctness that is lethal to businesses. I understand the factors that led to the decision that was made,. I have no doubt the answer I get will refer to respect and sensitivity. After weighing these factors against a fundamental Constitutional right, I find them lacking.

Barnes and Noble did not stop selling Bibles when Westboro Baptist began to preach their hate, and no one stopped selling white sheets and lumber because of the KKK,. With firearms alone, it seems, are the quiet millions of peaceful owners to suffer for the actions of the most minute fraction.

I strongly consider management to reconsider this decision so that I may continue shopping in your outstanding stores. Until such time, I can personally guarantee you the loss of my money and that of my friends and family.

A very happy holiday to you in the most genuine of spirits. I am not hateful or angry or spiteful. I understand why the decision was made. Respectfully, I submit it was made incorrectly.

Respectfully,

[personal information omitted]
Old December 20, 2012, 09:50 AM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
I strongly consider management to reconsider this decision so that I may continue shopping in your outstanding stores. Until such time, I can personally guarantee you the loss of my money and that of my friends and family.
The first part of this sentence doesn't make sense.

I'm not sure what you're going for there. "I strongly suggest", maybe?

If that's the case, it should be something like, "I strongly suggest that management reconsider this decision."

Also, the "personal guarantee" of loss of money from family and friends is not something I'd include.

The last part, I know for a fact that companys consider MASS quantities of these types of letters but a single letter by itself means nothing. They don't really believe that most people will really never shop there again and they certainly don't believe that most of your friends and family won't either. They'd be right too. Most people who make these "promises" will be back in a few weeks/months. I'd leave that part out entirely, it's only for dramatic effect and rather hurts the credibility more than enhancing it.

Last edited by Brian Pfleuger; December 20, 2012 at 09:56 AM.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:02 AM   #3
rajbcpa

Dicks Sporting Goods pulled guns off their shelves in stores near CT. Dicks Sporting Goods is reconsidering the sale of so-called assault rifles nationwide.

THIS IS AN EXTREME REACTION TO A CIMINAL WHO COMMITTED A MASS MURDER.

I will never buy another thing at Dicks' Sporting Goods.
Old December 20, 2012, 10:22 AM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

Brian's critiques are well taken.

Since we have two thread running on the issues, I'm going to close this one and suggest it continue there.

GEM