The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old March 29, 2012, 11:24 AM   #1
blacksky

Taking Liberties: Arrested for reading the Bible?

The video begins with Mark Mackey opening his Bible.
“Good morning, everyone,” he says to a crowd of 15 onlookers waiting outside the Hemet California Division of Motor Vehicles. “I would like to read a little bit of the word of God this morning.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/29...#ixzz1qWWzPl1u

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/29...reading-bible/
Old March 29, 2012, 11:54 AM   #2
Tuzo

Unless Mr. Mackey was reading a Bible passage condoning or not condoning prophets using Glocks, this is not at all firearms related.
Old March 29, 2012, 12:05 PM   #3
hoytinak

Really, religious threads here? I come to TFL because this is one place I don't have to worry about having religion shoved down my throat. Off-topic
Old March 29, 2012, 12:38 PM   #4
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

Didn't anyone read the article? (Forget the video)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuzo
Unless Mr. Mackey was reading a Bible passage condoning or not condoning prophets using Glocks, this is not at all firearms related.
This forum (Law and Civil Rights) is all about civil rights. Not just gun rights.

How our civil rights are interpreted by the Government, affects us all. Many, in ways that can lead to suppression of other rights, even gun rights.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoytinak
Really, religious threads here? I come to TFL because this is one place I don't have to worry about having religion shoved down my throat. Off-topic
Would this be any different than if he was reading from "Mein Kampf?"

This is not a religious issue per se. It is an issue of free speech. We don't need to even think about what the man was reading. Only that he was, apparently, speaking 50 feet from the DMV.

He can't have been impeding the "business" as the DMV was not even open.

He can't have been speaking to a "captive" audience, as nothing prevented anyone from leaving if they didn't like what he was speaking about.

He can't have been "trespassing" as he was speaking on public property.

This is a government run amok and interpreting a law in a manner that forbids free speech in an arbitrary and capricious manner.

So forget about what it was he was speaking about and focus on the curtailment and suppression of protected speech.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:19 PM   #5
Patriot86

The bill of rights is the bill of rights, if they are taking your 1st then they will have no qualms about taking away your 2nd . This is not the first time in history California has been attacking religion; I can't remember what town I think it was San Diego was threatening to fine a couple because they held bible studying their home.

You CANNOT discount the matter of Religion in this case; at the very least I would Imagine the officers involve would have been a bit more polite had it been someone talking about GLBT Issues, The Black Panther Party or some other "Community" Group. This is about the suppression of certain kinds of speech and unequal treatment of different groups under the law.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:25 PM   #6
BlueTrain

Fox News, huh?
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 29, 2012, 01:32 PM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

My call, if one feels that you cannot discount religion and want to talk about other political causes - as compared to the L and CR issues - then we are closed.

And we are.