The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old March 8, 2005, 05:50 PM   #1
Nimitz87

range eye protection...sunglasses?

anyone use their sunglasses for their range glasses? I would really love to but wouldnt know if their up to the task...

Oakley half jackets...suppose to be real strong from what i've heard...but would they work?

Edit: heres a link on their strength

http://oakley.com/technology/impact_protection/

Thanks

Chad
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms... disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve to encourage rather than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man."

-Thomas Jefferson
www.insaneindustry.com

Newbieville Moderator
Old March 8, 2005, 06:17 PM   #2
Paul Fitz Jones

Ray-Ban shooters sun glasses

Is what I have always worn. I have green, yellow and light changing pairs
Police Firearms Instructor
Old March 8, 2005, 06:36 PM   #3
Andrew LB

I bought these from www.cabelas.com http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...712&hasJS=true
and they are awesome. They have a nice sporty looking frame and come in an excellent case with clear, yellow, and orange lenses. They're inexpensive and are excellent. I've had a bunch of people at various ranges ask about them since they don't look like your run of the mill shooting glasses.

Old March 8, 2005, 06:38 PM   #4
PAC

I use my prescription sunglassess...
Old March 9, 2005, 01:34 AM   #5
chris in va

Basically you just want something to protect your eyes from flying brass or anything else the gun can pepper you with.

Now if you choose to wear expensive sunglasses or prescriptions, don't cry when that brass nicks the lens. I wear $10 glasses for a reason.
Old March 9, 2005, 05:46 AM   #6
Hal

Just remember to add something of a side shield to them and they are fine.
(a thick upper frame also, or wear a cap or hat with a wide brim)

One guy at the range where I was a member spent some serious down time due to a piece of brass he caught in the eye as he was walking out. It caught him as he was walking behind the line facing sideways towards the shooters. Not all dangers come head on. Lot's come from the top and/or the sides.
Old March 9, 2005, 07:03 AM   #7
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

I wear prescription bifocals (Vari-Lux, no line lens) with a "HI-VIZ"
yellowish tint. Makes even dreary days bright, therefore I can see
that the front sight is in perfect alignment.

Best Wishes,
Old March 9, 2005, 07:06 AM   #8
Ohio Annie

I wear neutral gray prescription bifocals made with safety glass frames to which I can add side shields. Very fashionable (NOT!). The lenses are the new Trivex (sp?) stuff which has a refractive index similar to glass.

My optician gave me a deal on a discontinued frame.
Old March 9, 2005, 07:39 AM   #9
k_dawg

my prescription glasses are stronger than most shooting glasses..

Titanium + hard coated polycarbonate!

I do tend to wear a hat as well, as my 1911 likes to fling it due right.. which bounces off the vertical support side posts.
Old March 9, 2005, 08:13 AM   #10
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Sure! I use my sunglasses for protective eyewear at the range.

My sunglasses, though, are Wiley-X SG-1's. I like them because I can replace the temples with the strap when I'm at the range, and the strap doesn't interfere with my hearing protection. (Plus, they make me look like a frickin' praying mantis, which may or may not be useful in psyching out co-workiers at weekly IPSC practice. )
Old March 9, 2005, 10:56 AM   #11
38SnubFan

Cheap dollar-store sunglasses here! I lose and break the expensive ones all the time. (Broke a $100+ pair of Oakley M-frames unloading a truck - last time I made that purchase mistake! )

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old March 9, 2005, 11:56 AM   #12
ffxmike

I would have zero problem wearing a pair of oakleys when I shoot.

Example: Driving around the capital beltway a few years ago, about 6 months after having had laser eye surgery. Pair of oakley straightjackets on. Windows down in the car. Rock gets hit by another car, I didn't even have time to react before I heard it hit. Where did it hit? On the lense of my oakleys, bounced off them, landed in the instrument panel, put a gouge in the plastic of the instrument panel. It didn't even leave a mark on the oakleys. Still have them, they sit on my nightstand, since I've picked up another pair. Since then, don't have any questions about whether my eyes are safe wearing oakleys.
Old March 9, 2005, 02:26 PM   #13
Any .45

WileyX G-line in light rust, I have a big head and these actually look good on me so my girl says....
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old March 9, 2005, 03:07 PM   #14
Edward429451

Sure do. But my sunglasses are safety glasses too. Wolverines, in your local trade supply store. Many frames & colors to choose from, wrap the side too.
Old March 9, 2005, 04:38 PM   #15
Andrew LB

Quote:
Cheap dollar-store sunglasses here! I lose and break the expensive ones all the time. (Broke a $100+ pair of Oakley M-frames unloading a truck - last time I made that purchase mistake! )
You broke the frame?

Oakley has a lifetime warranty on their frames. Just send them in and you get sent back a new pair.
Old March 9, 2005, 10:10 PM   #16
38SnubFan

Yeah I set them on the ledge of the trailer while I was unloading something from my truck in a shaded area. Totally forgot about them when I was closing the roll-down door. CRUNCH!

Didn't realize the Lifetime Warranty at the time, but I doubt it would cover consequential damage such as that.

-Snub

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old March 9, 2005, 11:15 PM   #17
Lycanthrope

Just stopped in to my optometrist this week to get a pair of dedicated shooting glasses.

He's been helping a lot of shooters ,and his opinion was that a good hard coated polycarbonate is just fine for splatter and brass. I was set up with a frameless (less visual distraction), very lightweight metal frame and polycarb lenses that he tinted a VERY light yellow. I was informed that if I didn't like the color I could have them retinted free anytime. All that for $100.

They make Rudy Project glasses feel bulky and intrusive....and they're cheaper......

This from a guy with Ray Bans. Serengetis and Varnet sunglasses. I really like sunglasses and darker shades when I wear contacts, but for shooting they cut down on my visual acuity and I prefer clear or light yellow. A custom set seemed perfect.
Old March 12, 2005, 09:37 PM   #18
perception

the oakley warranty doesnt cover damage such as that. a friend of mine broke hers 3 weeks after she bought them in her purse. oakley told her tough sh**, and now she is wearing 5 dollar wal mart specials
Old March 13, 2005, 09:26 AM   #19
STLRN

Oakley has replaced 2 pair of sunglasses for me over the years, SI Vs and SI M frames. If the frame breaks they will replace them, what they won't replace is broken/scratched lenses.
Old March 13, 2005, 05:54 PM   #20
Moe Mentum

Yes, anything is better than wearing nothing.
Old March 14, 2005, 04:56 PM   #21
tjhands

I wear the $7 safety glasses that Menard's sells. They aren't the goggle-type that you wore in Chem labs - rather the brown plastic framed woodworking type with side shields. They are as strong as they are nerdy.....which is very.
Old March 14, 2005, 09:16 PM   #22
w4klr

I know I'm gonna catch flak on this one, but when on the range if shooting rifle looking through sights or optics, I wear my sunglasses.... but stop them on my forehead. Glasses have a small amount of convex on them, and that is a distortion between your eye and the target, just what I learned in the Corps...

Pistol however... I'll wear some aviators...