The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 10, 2016, 05:54 PM   #1
Lavan

Does anyone make a .22 conversion for Browning Hi Power?

I have the BHP but wonder if any conversion could cock what seems to be a VERY stiff mainspring.

Old November 10, 2016, 06:24 PM   #2
Walt Sherrill

I've no personal experience with the Ciener kit, but Ciener makes one for the BHP. http://www.22lrconversions.com/hpk-pg.htm I've heard praise and complaints about Ciener products.

Some conversion kits use very light slides and don't use the stock recoil spring.

Others don't even use a slide that moves -- just part of the upper assembly (with a cover on the bolt) actually moves. That's how the CZ Kadet Kit works.

Keep looking, and you'll probably find others.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; November 11, 2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old November 10, 2016, 10:33 PM   #3
rock185

I had a Peters Stahl kit on a Browning Hi Power years ago. It had no trouble cocking the hammer....
Old November 11, 2016, 07:08 AM   #4
larryh1108

I recently purchased a Ciener kit for my 1911 Officers frame. Great product, great customer service. The old man, who was the cause of so many complaints, seems to be out of the picture now and I am very happy with the fit and function of the kit. They do make a .22 conversion for the BHP.
Old November 12, 2016, 10:29 AM   #5
Crunchy Frog

I have a Ciener conversion for a 1911. It works fine. I like the 15 round aluminum magazines.
Old November 12, 2016, 10:15 PM   #6
Rembrandt

Have both the Ceiner and Stahls units, both are great. Stahls units are very hard to find and expensive. Ciener is a very reliable nice conversion.

Old November 12, 2016, 10:25 PM   #7
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
The old man, who was the cause of so many complaints, seems to be out of the picture now and I am very happy with the fit and function of the kit. They
Last I heard/read he turned over customer service and order filling to an employee and was working with the machines in the shop primarily. He was simply as cantankerous as most others I run into in this sport.

Hardly a bad thing said about the Ciener units beyond Ciener himself being a pain to work with. One day I will get one.
Old January 13, 2017, 03:29 PM   #8
SIGSHR

I bought mine at a gun show so I have no direct contact with them. Like all 22s you must find what ammo it likes. Mine works fine with Remington, with W-W and CCI failures to extract. Mine needs a little breaking in, a spot of lube on the slide rails makes for reliable functioning.
Old January 14, 2017, 10:30 AM   #9
rodfac

I've had Ciener's on three 1911's and all worked well..with CCI Mini-Mags and other high speed .22's. I found that you've got to keep the chambers and bolt face clean with them and grease does not work well on the frame rails. I use military CLP on mine and have good success. Accuracy is on a par with my Smith M41...in other words, superb...<2" at 25 yds from rest. HTH's Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.