The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 18, 2008, 08:56 PM   #1
MichiganMadDog

mini-14 denting extacted rounds

Pretty new mini-14 stainless ranch model puts a small dent in extracted rounds. It appears when I line up the case against the gun, it is the corner of the bolt making contact with the extracted round.
Is the bolt spring too tight or new and the bolt is closing too fast and hitting the case or is there something else wrong with this rifle?
Anyone see this happen before? I thought it was the scope but I took it off and it is still making the marks. Thanks!
Old September 18, 2008, 09:59 PM   #2
texastweeter

post a pic please of teh brass in question
Old September 19, 2008, 08:09 AM   #3
MichiganMadDog

Dented Brass pic

Here are some dented brass. About midway down from shoulder and some have dents on the throat of the brass. I think the rifles action is making contact.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dented rounds.jpg (128.2 KB, 91 views)
Old September 25, 2008, 01:42 PM   #4
two 70

similar denting

I was getting the same denting pattern from my new Target mini although not quite as severe. Reduced a lot of it by installing shock buffers fore and aft on the op rod which also seems to reduce the ejected brass trajectory to a distance where I can find em without a search warrant. Some denting or scratching is still visible but I'm thinking not enough to cause reloading problems. Not sure about the neck dents. I had a few but presumed they were caused by the occassional ejected case smacking the side of the woodshed at just the right angle. That also was eliminated with the buffers and hanging a tarp next to the benchrest to control ejected brass.
Old September 25, 2008, 07:20 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

If your ejector pushes hard enough it spins the case around so it hits something on the gun before it gets clear. Look for brass marks on the finish where it hits. That is easier to see on a Parkerized or blued finish, but should show on stainless in the right light. Have someone watch your cases. If you have a friend with a movie camera that shoots in slow motion, see if you can get a picture of it?

If this is happening, you can try taking the bolt down and shortening coils on the ejector spring until they throw the brass clear faster than it spins. Be sure to have a spare spring in hand before you start. I'm sure you don't have to ask why?
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle