The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 10, 2005, 11:17 AM   #1
MilitantBob

Rifle throwing people around the room: What is it?

What on earth are these guys shooting?

It looks fairly harmless, surely nothing I would think twice about firing if someone handed it to me at the range, but man does it smack those guys around... Either that or they are really weak/firearm inept...

Nemo Me Impune Lacessit.
Old August 10, 2005, 11:29 AM   #2
rugerdude

I saw some videos of some different people in that same room shoot a gun that looked very much like that one. It was a custom bolt-gun in .577 T-rex i believe, but I could be wrong.

Not my quote but I agree completely.
Old August 10, 2005, 11:57 AM   #3
snuffy

http://www.accuratereloading.com/
Yup the .577 t-rex. The pic on top when you open the AR site is the reloading room looking down the tunnel where the rifle was being fired. Saaed runs the AR site, it's a great place to get info, the forum is very good with a bunch of very knowledgable people.

Scroll down to the fifth heading, humor and videos, there's more of the same there. The reloadin forum is the first one.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old August 10, 2005, 08:46 PM   #4
JohnKSa
Staff

The .577 T-Rex is very close to the 50BMG. Imagine shooting a .50BMG out of a relatively normal sized rifle with no muzzle brake--or watch the videos I guess. No need to imagine.

I wouldn't shoot that thing. It's dangerous, IMO. In one of the videos you can see a guy shooting it from the bench lose consciousness for an instant from the recoil. That's at least a minor concussion.
Old August 11, 2005, 03:37 AM   #5
LAK

Quote:
surely nothing I would think twice about firing if someone handed it to me at the range
I would always ask before I would pull the trigger on anything. For that matter, I won't shoot any guns with handloads asssembled by anyone I do not know well either.

JohnKSa
Quote:
I wouldn't shoot that thing. It's dangerous, IMO. In one of the videos you can see a guy shooting it from the bench lose consciousness for an instant from the recoil. That's at least a minor concussion.
Sheesh; I haven't downloaded these shots, but I can just imagine.
Old August 11, 2005, 03:49 AM   #6
yorec

The famous .577 Tyranosaur...

Gotta love it -
Old August 11, 2005, 12:24 PM   #7
Olaf

Ah, the .577 Tyranosaur....anti-tank rifle. Very useful if suddenly attacked by a pack of roaming T-72 tanks....

Just kidding. To each his own. Those gentlemen are braver than I. May their shoulders heal well...and not require physical therapy - and may their retinas stay attached.