The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 22, 2004, 06:59 AM   #1
jekla

whats the "best" holster for CCW use?

is it IWB holsters pancakes or regular concealment or any other model??

i presume it has to offer the user comfort, easy to draw gun from etc. . im planning to apply for a carry permit so i will be needing a holster soon. im trying to decide what to get.
Old July 22, 2004, 09:44 AM   #2
KSFreeman

Step 1: Buy a box!
Old July 22, 2004, 09:51 AM   #3
4S50

For me, kydex IWB holsters offer the best combination of concealment, retention, and comfort.
Old July 22, 2004, 10:06 AM   #4
ACP230

I prefer the nylon pocket holsters from Uncle Mike's.
They help hide the gun, are cheap, and work well.
I have a couple of leather IWB holsters but haven't used them yet.
Old July 22, 2004, 10:20 AM   #5
DeanC

When I took my CCW training, the trainer told us that now we would become holster collectors as well as CCW permit holders.

It's all a matter of personal preference. A couple points he made:

1. Make sure it holds the gun securely
2. Make sure you can re-holster as quickly as you draw (nylon won't let you do this because it collapses)
3. Comfort is not the #1 priority, you don't want to forget you are wearing a gun
4. Cross-draw holsters are more dangerous to by-standers when you draw
5. Be aware of what your gun is pointing at when holstered - what might get shot off?
Old July 22, 2004, 10:22 AM   #6
Arc Angel

IWB would be my first choice; after that I like, either, the Yacqui Slide or Tucker Leather's HF-1 design. Any holster is better if it has the ability to snap on and off the belt. Don't care whether it's Kydex or leather; I like them both.
Old July 22, 2004, 11:34 AM   #7
38SnubFan

Depends on the clothing

I've found if you're wearing heavy winter clothes or even a baggy sweatshirt or winter jacket, a standard hip holster may do you fine as it has for me.

For light summer clothing, I prefer my IWB holster with just a loose t-shirt and shorts.

My usual though since I prefer to wear a cover garment would be my pancake-style UM holster.

Well, I'm JAFO giving my $.02

"People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men and women stand ready to do violence on their behalf." -A token of appreciation for the good cops.

"Good cheer and steady aim are always fashionable."

"Will...if need be!"

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΑΛΒΕ!
Old July 22, 2004, 11:55 AM   #8
acmax2k

38Snubfan makes an excellent point. An often underappreciated aspect of CCW revolves around matching CCW carry with what environment you will be carrying in, regardless of whether its an IWB, Yaqui slide, etc. Here, in the deep south where I live, (especially this time of year) shorts and a T-shirt are accepted casual wear. As such, concealing a 1911 and 2 spare mags is challenging to say the least. If I were to wear another overgarmet just for the sake of carrying my pistol, I might as well tattoo SUSPICIOUS on my forehead. Some thought needs to be put into your CCW rig and how well it will blend into the routines of your day.

Its true that I agree that comfort is not the #1 factor, but a holster/gun combo that mercilessly digs a slide stop or front sight into your butt all day long will soon become a glove box gun.
Old July 22, 2004, 12:33 PM   #9
obiwan1

To your original question.............

It depends. ...........How do you dress, what do you plan to carry? There are lots of options. Generally, I find that you need two CCW guns. Your 95% gun (the one you carry 95% of the time) and your 5%er (the one that you carry when you can't carry the 95%er).
Can you carry at work? Do you plan to carry all of the time (the best option). There are a lot of "what ifs". I find that my 95% gun is carried in a strong side belt holster. Nothing else is needed for that gun. My 5%er is carried in a pocket holster.
It works for me in Miami
Old July 22, 2004, 04:04 PM   #10
SKN

Generically, the 'best' holster: 1) covers the trigger guard so that you don't jump that trigger too early in presentation, 2) holds the weapon securely; 3) is comfortable to wear; 4) conforms to the clothing you'll be wearing with it, you dress for the weapon & carry system.

These criteria apply whether the carry system is ankle, IWB, off body (which I'm not in favor of), OWB, shoulder rig, specialty garment or waist pack. A holster which remains open when the weapon is not in it I think is not absolutely necessary though it is helpful, especially in practicing presentations. In a real world engagement you're not going to be recovering to the holster. What you will be doing is covering down on the threat until LE arrives and, when they do, you're going to be obeying their command to put the weapon on the ground.

You should select at least two different types of carry systems to accomodate whatever seasonal or other conditions that might cause you to change clothes.
Old July 22, 2004, 06:21 PM   #11
Hkmp5sd

Check out this thread over on THR.

Lot of holsters?? - Guilty as charged! Post your pic.

NRA Life Member
Old July 23, 2004, 02:30 AM   #12
C_Yeager

Your gonna end up with a bunch of different holsters and a bunch of different guns for various "moods" and circumstances anyways. In hindsight i wish i had started with a SMALL gun in a pocket holster and worked my way up to IWB.

I did it backwards and wound up not carrying very much because i didnt always have "cover" for an IWB and i felt like everyone in the world new i was carrying. Nothing builds confidence better than starting small. But, thats just me.
Old July 23, 2004, 09:19 AM   #13
Scott Evans
Staff Alumnus

Balance … or trade off; depending upon how you look at it is what you’re dealing with when considering a CCW rig.

Normally the #1 determining factor in selecting a carry holster is the “firing grip”. To facilitate a solid rapid presentation of the weapon the ability of the shooter to acquire a proper firing grip on the handgun prior to the draw is a must.

The problem with concealed carry is that the deeper you hide the weapon the more difficult a solid, smooth, rapid draw becomes. As such there is a definite need to evaluate just how important concealment is and to what level. Once you balance the needed level of concealment against your perceived need for speed in the presentation you then need to further consider the factors of retention, comfort (I disagree with those who say a CCW rig need not be comfortable), and overall quality. Holsters are much like shoes in that your body type determines in large part what works best for you. A rig that works well for a 6” 235lbs guy may not function as well for a 120 lbs woman. Bad back, bum shoulder and on and on are all physical factors that make a CCW holster selection very personal. Complicate it further by evaluating the weapon selection and your level of experience and training. Actually using several types of holsters (that means range time drawing from your holster) is your best bet in narrowing down what will work best for you.

MOLON LABE !

I’m a G-CODE holster fan !
www.range5.com
Old July 23, 2004, 10:26 AM   #14
PSE

i am not a fan of "gimic" holsters. i have a galco underwrap (bellyband) that i carry a 4" 1911 in w/ jeans and a tucked in golf shirt. IT works. i aint gonna say they work because all bellyband are NOT the same. i go everywere, banks, PO, restraunts, ect and i have never seen so much as a glance at the rig. it is invisable. if you live somewere up north you can get away w/ bigger and less hidden means of concealment. here in the south it 100 degrees 11 months out of the year.