The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old April 3, 2006, 04:43 PM   #1
FirstFreedom

Just ordered a Kershaw Spec Bump...anyone got one?

This place has good prices on knives and swords:

http://store.savsonswordsandknives.com/kespbu1.html

I lost my Leek last weekend apparently, so decided to kick it up a notch with Kershaw's premium assisted-opener, the Spec Bump with CPM 154 steel and G10 handle, and try it out - if I don't like it for some reason, I'll go back to the Leek for EDC, and keep the Spec Bump for carry while hunting etc. Anyone got one of the Bumps (regular, Speed, or Spec)? How do you like it? (I'm hooked on the AOs with flippers, if you couldn't tell).
Old April 3, 2006, 08:01 PM   #2
Eghad

nice price

thanks for the link

NRA Life Member
Old April 3, 2006, 08:50 PM   #3
Sodbuster

I don't have one but I was just reading about them the other day on bladeforums.com. Lots of happy customers over there.
Remember, many times what we view as a curse in the present turns out to be a blessing in the future. Don't worry about it a lot. Things have a way of working out. Trust me on this one. - - Uncle Bill Martino
Old April 3, 2006, 08:58 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

Quote:
Lots of happy customers over there.
Oh, good - I'll have to go and read up over there, thanks.

You just might be a knife knut if you're somewhat *happy* that you lost a knife, so you'll have an excuse to buy another one.
Old April 3, 2006, 09:37 PM   #5
hso

The only problem with the Spec Bumps is the locking mechanism can unlock if you grip with a thumb up on top of the knife. I don't have particularly meaty thumbs and I got one to fail in that position.
Old April 10, 2006, 05:12 PM   #6
FirstFreedom

After I got it, I agree that the locking mechanism leaves a lot to be desired, in a hard use knife, with another shortcoming, and expressed as much in a post at www.bladeforums.com , in the general knife discussion, general blade discussion forum, under an existing thread called something like "Spec Bump in Hand - Review" which you can find and read there if you like by searching. Still, a great knife for EDC *IFF* your EDC does not involve 'hard use', and admittedly mine doesn't, so it's a very good, though a bit large, EDC knife for *me*. The locking mechanism is about as trustworthy, it seems to me, as the Axis on Benchmades and others,which is to say, good enough for 95% of the population, but wholly unacceptable to me, if and when I'm in a hard use situation. It can fail even while under blade pressure, if forward pressure is applied. The knife I got turned out to be one of the S30V ones, rather than the CPM 154 which the seller assured me that it was. Still, I'm happy since S30V is considered by most to be a superior/more desirable blade steel, even though 154 has its distinct advantage (quicker to sharpen to a fine edge). I've already put the knife to good use, BTW, butchering a turkey in part with it yesterday. I used the Spec bump for general skinning & butchering, and used my other favorite knife, the CRKT Desert Cruiser, with the serrated portion of the blade, for hard cutting of the joint ligaments and/or through bone.