The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 18, 2016, 12:45 AM   #1
wedge259

Adams Arms 308 patrol reviews/info/reliability?

So Im a long time lurker here, and have found a lot of good info, but haven't made many posts myself, so I apologize if it's already been asked.

I've recently gotten serious about the AR10 (or 308 battle rifle in general), and finally put one on order. Kinda picked a bad time to do it as it seems there's been a lot of panic buying after Orlando and the political uncertainty that's resulted.

Anyway, I finally just ordered an Adams Arms 308 Patrol rifle (model# FGAA00147, this is the standard model with Magpul furniture). It has a lot of features that I like, high quality barrel, piston driven, and compatible with Pmags. They're very lightweight as well, giving a pretty similar size footprint as a standard AR15.

My issue is that I've been able to find VERY little info and real world reviews/experiences on it anywhere that isn't from the manufacturer or are just various cut and paste sales pitches from various websites. I've had one of their piston AR15 carbines in 556 and really liked it, but the 308 seems to be non existent in terms of reviews. What I have been able to find has been mostly negative (after the fact of buying it of course!), it sounds like people are having a lot of feeding and extracting issues, particularly from it being undergassed. I was torn between this and the Rock River LAR8 Standard A4. I preferred the longer barrel on the LAR8, but after doing a lot of research on it it seems that a lot of people have had magazine fit issues with it.

In any case, i'm trying to decide if I want to give this rifle a chance, or just sell it off as soon as I get it and maybe go for something a little higher end from a more reputable manufacturer. Ive had HK G3 pattern rifles but have gotten rid of them because of the extreme brass mangling issues I was having with them, since I reload this was a big problem. I've also been reluctant to go with the M1A/M14 platform, I have very bad eyes and really need an optic, and have heard a lot of issues with the platform if it isnt done just so. In the end I decided that the AR10 platform would work best for me as they're easily scoped and easy on brass (and the brass is easily retained with a brass catcher too).

So I'm looking to see if anyone has first hand experience with these rifles and can lend any advice? I'm wondering if it's a case of people only writing because they're having issues, and if there's many more satisfied users than there are bad. Just kinda surprised there isn't more info out there on them, at their price point Im assuming truck loads of them are being sold!

Tags
308 , adams arms , patrol