The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 12, 2013, 07:46 PM   #26
Virginian

Let's don't get started on the old B guns versus the world track. AGAYNE !
Reliability to me does not mean how long a gun will go without cleaning. It means when it is properly taken care of, it works. My 1100s will run the Wally World Winchester cheapies all day. They rip a lot of the bases, but they fully cycle. A buddy's Browning Gold does the same, and so does another guy's Beretta. It's a function of chamber smoothness, and all chambers are not equal anymore.
Old August 12, 2013, 09:14 PM   #27
TB9

sorry wasnt baggin on any bodys gun and i clean my guns religiously . by stutter in the 11-87 i meant stove pipes and not constant but more than i care for and i have none with the federal . my mossy's chamber is fine as also the h&r ive had nothing but bad luck with the wal-mart value pak's and that my story and im sticking to it. YMMV, thats why there are so many different brands of ammo if one doesnt work for me another will and if you like winchester and i like federal wal-mart still sell's shot gun ammo . i meant no offense to any one just talkin guns. TB9
Old August 13, 2013, 08:28 PM   #28
Tony615

Gas Shotgun reliability

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD_in_FL View Post
1145 is only 55 fps from 1200 - that should not make a difference as the weight of the payload makes up for the slower velocity
1145 with 1-1/8 equals the recoil (close enough) of a 1oz load at 1200
Since the SLP has a gas piston, it reduces the recoil so I can shoot a couple 100 rounds full power buckshot and/or slugs.
Old August 13, 2013, 10:15 PM   #29
ripnbst

Gas Shotgun reliability

How does the Win SX3 stack up compared to other gas guns considering their prices as well? I am looking at buying one as they seem to be less expensive than the Berretta/Benelli guns that appear to be the two people love to compare.
Old August 14, 2013, 08:37 AM   #30
BigD_in_FL

Tony, my Beretta also has a gas piston AND the Kick Off recoil dampener on the back. (Still not getting me to shoot slugs, 3 or 3.5" ammo though). Velocity is but one component of recoil, mass of the payload and mass of the gun are the other main ones. Slight variations are not linear when it comes to mass but exponential. Using the heaviest gun you can will keep your shoulder from the surgeon down the road, but even the heaviest gun should be able to fire standard loads without hiccups
Old August 14, 2013, 10:40 AM   #31
BigJimP

Browning / Winchester are the same company now ( have been for several years ) ....and both are owned by FN. But it looks to me, like the Browning people are running the shotgun division....

There are very few, if any, other than cosmetic differences, in my opinion - between the Browning & Winchester's offerings...but the prices vary a little. You'll have to find a store that carries both and compare them side by side.

In general, Benelli's inertia guns will cost you more than most of the comparable gas gun models from Browning / Winchester or Beretta. Benelli is owned by Beretta / but Beretta has maintained their gas gun line - and Benelli has stayed in the Inertia guns...
---------------
Shoot what you like the best .... personally, I favor the Benelli - in a clays gun, I like their Super Sport offerings in both 12ga and 20ga...and I've had one of each for a little over 10 yrs now....both still very solid guns / Browning Silver series is attractive based on price - and a good gun for the money in my view / Browning Maxus is a solid gun ....Beretta has a lot of offerings and they're nice guns as well.

I don't know which model is the cheapest ...from all 4 companies ...it comes down to what gun "Fits" you the best, what your budget is ....you can't pick a bad gun from Browning, Winchester, Beretta or Benelli in my view...and they have shotguns from $ 700 - to well over $ 2,000...( but I can't recommend some of the other Beretta companies like Stoeger or Franchi - because I don't they are up to the standards of the guns made under the Beretta or Benelli name - based on what I see at our local ranges).

Last edited by BigJimP; August 14, 2013 at 11:34 AM.
Old August 17, 2013, 01:10 AM   #32
Scubasimmons

I was an 870 wingmaster operator for a few years before I got my Browning gold hunter. It shoots 3.5" shells and the only time I ever had a problem shooting 2 3/4" low base shells is when I didn't clean it between seasons (completely my fault and my first season with the gun...no issues since). Sweet shooting gun even shootin 3.5" turkey loads at skeet (2 1/4 oz kicks like a mule).....gas guns are plenty reliable.